Integrating Exponential Functions with Natural Logarithms

• Thread starter -EquinoX-
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, the integrating factor for e^4ln(x) is x^4. The final result is x^{4} when x is integrated over the interval from 0 to x.
-EquinoX-

Homework Statement

[tex] \int (3x-5)e^{4ln(x)}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
rewrite [tex]e^{4ln(x)}[/tex] as [tex]e^{(ln x)4}[/tex] and remember your rules for exponents!

does e^(ln(x)) becomes x?

yes.

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/8667/questionl.th.jpg

If the original question is above and I solved the integral above which results in:

[tex]x^3 - \frac{5x^2}{2} + \frac{C}{e^{4ln(x)}[/tex]

then I need to divide this by [tex] e^{4ln(x)} [/tex] right??
I am also given an initial state of y(1) = 5

the final result that I get is :

2x^2-5x+13/x

why is this wrong? which step am I not doing it right?

however web assign marks it as wrong.. am I doing something wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently.

What's [tex]\int_0^x\frac{4}{t}dt[/tex]

Easy mate
integration of (3x-5) = 3x^2-5x
hence integration of e^4ln(x) is = e nd ln cancell each other log rules..
hence take 4 to the other side becomes power. = x^4
final ans
(3x^2 - 5x).(x^4)...so u can do the rest i assume.
hope been helpful

to -EquinoX

well [tex]e^{4ln(x)}[/tex] is equal to [tex]e^4x[/tex] right?

if that's so the the integration becomes [tex] e^4 \int (3x^2-5x) [/tex]

which is [tex](x^3 - \frac{5x^2}{2})e^4 + C[/tex]

is this correct?

if so then I divide [tex](x^3 - \frac{5x^2}{2})e^4 + C[/tex] by [tex]e^{4ln(x)}[/tex] and then simplifying that I get [tex] (x^2 - \frac{5x}{2}) + \frac{C}{e^{4ln(x)}} [/tex]

Last edited:
[tex]e^{4 + ln x} = e^{4}e^{ln x} = e^{4}x[/tex]
[tex]e^{4ln x} = e^{(ln x)4} = (e^{ln x})^{4} = x^{4}[/tex]

I thought we already went over this. As to the integral question I asked earlier, what's ln 0?

shouldn't it be the integral of (3x-5)*x^4\

I am just confused why you integrate (3x-5) first and then e^4ln(x) separately... as I recall they were multiplied

I'm not doing that. I'm finding the integrating factor. That's how you got [tex]e^{4ln x}[/tex], right? By performing the integral I gave above?

okay so the integral should be [tex] \int 3x^5-5x^4 = \frac{x^6}{2} - x^5 + C [/tex] then divide all of this by [tex]x^4[/tex] (integrating factor) I will get [tex]\frac{x^2}{2} - x + \frac{C}{x^4} [/tex]

put in the initial condition which is y(1) = 5,. I can solve for C which is 11/2 then plug it back in I will have [tex]y = \frac{x^2}{2} - x + \frac{11}{2x^4}[/tex] as a particular solution, true or not?

Last edited:
Yes, but in the future, once you have the solution, you can always check it for yourself.

and once again reason why I post it is because web assign doesn't accept that answer, I re did the problem couple of times and it goes down to that answer... I hate this thing

That's harsh. I hated those things when I had to do them. It's right though. I plugged in for 1 and plugged the solution into the ODE you gave. They're both right so it's not your fault. Maybe put it all in one fraction or something.

okay...I'll see what I can do...

Related to Integrating Exponential Functions with Natural Logarithms

1. How do you integrate a new technology into an existing system?

Integrating a new technology into an existing system requires a thorough understanding of both the technology and the system. It is important to carefully plan and test the integration process to ensure compatibility and minimize disruption to the existing system.

2. What are the potential challenges of integration?

The potential challenges of integration may include compatibility issues, technical limitations, and user acceptance. It is important to identify and address these challenges before integrating to ensure a smooth and successful integration.

3. How do you determine the best integration approach?

The best integration approach depends on the specific technology and system being integrated. Factors to consider include compatibility, complexity, and cost. It is important to carefully evaluate all options before making a decision.

4. What are the benefits of integration?

Integrating new technologies into existing systems can bring numerous benefits, such as improved efficiency, increased functionality, and cost savings. It can also help to future-proof the system and keep it up-to-date with the latest advancements.

5. How do you ensure a seamless integration process?

To ensure a seamless integration process, it is important to have a clear plan and timeline in place. Regular communication and collaboration between all parties involved is also crucial. Thorough testing and troubleshooting can also help to identify and address any issues before they impact the system.