Integrating Exponential Function with Infinite Upper Boundary

In summary, when integrating this function if the lower boundary is 0 and the upper boundary is infinity is the answer pi*(2e-1). is this right?Can you think of an appropriate substitution that may help with this integral?i think i worked out.Is the answer (2e-1)*piCould you show your work? I'm pretty sure that isn't the correct answer, but it is difficult to tell if you don't show how you arrived at it.sure i used substitution method.let u = -x^2then du/dx=-2x, dx=du/-2xthis gives the integral of xe^u/-2xdu=pi/2 integrate e^u lower
dj023102
if f(x) = pi*xe^(-x^2)
integrating this function if the lower boundary is 0 and the upper boundary is infinity is the answer pi*(2e-1). is this right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you think of an appropriate substitution that may help with this integral?

i think i worked out.
Is the answer (2e-1)*pi

Could you show your work? I'm pretty sure that isn't the correct answer, but it is difficult to tell if you don't show how you arrived at it.

sure i used substitution method.
let u = -x^2
then du/dx=-2x, dx=du/-2x
this gives the integral of xe^u/-2xdu
=pi/2 integrate e^u lower boundary 0 upper boundary infinity
then separating the two integral, one integral with lower boundary 0 and upper boundary 1 and the second integral with lower boundary 1 and the upper boundary infinty.
the first integral gives e^1-e^0 and the second integral we get e^1.
then adding them together we get
(pi/2) * (e-1+e) is that right?

dj023102 said:
let u = -x^2
then separating the two integral, one integral with lower boundary 0 and upper boundary 1 and the second integral with lower boundary 1 and the upper boundary infinty.
It's hard to follow your work. Add some empty lines to make reading easier. Using Latex helps a whole lot.

It shouldn't be e^u, it's slightly off. And what do you mean by "separating the integral"? You mean integration by parts? It's not needed here.

dj023102 said:
let u = -x^2
More simply, if u= -x2, then du= -2x dx or -(1/2)du= dx

[itex]xe^{-x^2}dx[/itex] becomes [itex]e^{-x^2}(xdx)= -(1/2)e^u du[/itex]

When x= 0, u= 0 and when x="infinity", u is -"infinity" The integral becomes
[tex]\int_0^\infty xe^{-x^2} dx= -\frac{1}{2}\int_0^{-\infty} e^u du[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{1}{2}\int_{-\infty}^0 e^u du[/itex]

I can see no reason to "separate" at x= 1. In any case, since x=1 is an upper limit for one integral and a lower limit for the other, those terms will subtract, not add, and will cancel.

And there certainly is no reason to have a "pi" in there!

Last edited by a moderator:
So the answer is -1/2?

No, I just looked back and realized you had a "pi" in the original integral that you then dropped.

Including that pi,
[itex]\frac{1}{2}\pi \int_{-\infty}^0 e^u du= \frac{\pi}{2}e^u\right|_{-infty}^0= \frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]

Related to Integrating Exponential Function with Infinite Upper Boundary

1. What is the general formula for integrating an exponential function?

The general formula for integrating an exponential function is ∫e^x dx = e^x + C, where C is the constant of integration.

2. How do I solve for the constant of integration when integrating an exponential function?

To solve for the constant of integration, you can use the initial conditions of the problem or plug in a value for x and y into the original function to determine the value of C.

3. Can I use integration by parts to integrate an exponential function?

Yes, integration by parts can be used to integrate an exponential function when the function is a product of two functions, such as e^x * x.

4. Is integration of an exponential function the same as differentiation?

No, integration and differentiation are inverse operations. Integration of an exponential function will give the original function, while differentiation will give the derivative of the function.

5. Are there any special cases when integrating an exponential function?

Yes, when the base of the exponential function is not e, a different formula is used for integration. For example, ∫a^x dx = a^x / ln(a) + C.