Integrating exp(x^2) like gaussian integral?

In summary, the integral \int^{1}_{0}\\e^{x^2}\\dx cannot be solved using elementary functions and can only be expressed in terms of the error function or through a series involving the error function.
coki2000
Integrating exp(x^2) like gaussian integral??

Hi,
I can't solve this integral [tex]\int^{1}_{0}\\e^{x^2}\\dx[/tex]

Can I solve this integral like gaussian integral?
Please help me
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

The Gaussian integral you are referring to is usually being integrated from minus infinity to plus infinity. Integrals like yours can be expressed in terms of the so-called error function but not in terms of more elementary functions.

The numerical value of the integral in your case is 1.46265.

I found a solvation but I am not sure that the solvation is right.Firstly I write the integral in cartesian coordinates as surface integral after in polar coordinates.
Where [tex]r=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/tex]

[tex]\int_S {e^{r^2}}dA=\int_{0}^{1} \int_{0}^{1} e^{{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}^2}dxdy=\int_{0}^{1} e^{x^2}dx\int_{0}^{1} e^{y^2}dy=[\int_{0}^{1}e^{x^2}]^2[/tex]

[tex]\int_S {e^{r^2}}dA=\int_{0}^{\pi /4} \int_{0}^{1} e^{r^2}rdrd\theta=\frac{\pi }{8}{(e-1)}=[\int_{0}^{1}e^{x^2}]^2[/tex]

I determine the limits from graph of [tex]e^{x^2}[/tex]

[tex]\int_{0}^{1}e^{x^2}=\sqrt{\frac{\pi }{8}{(e-1)}}[/tex]

I solve this problem like solvation of gaussian integral but I'm in doubt that it is right.
Please help me and show me right solvation.
Thanks.

Last edited:

Your result is incorrect and the reason is that the rectangle [0,1] x [0,1] in Cartesian coordinates cannot easily be parametrized in polar coordinates, in particular it does not correspond to [0,pi/4] x [0,1] , which describes an 45 degree sector of the unit disc.

If you don't mind getting a infinite series for an answer, replacing the integrand with its Taylor series and integrating term by term gives a relatively nice looking series:

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{(2n+1) n!}[/tex]

Pere Callahan said:
Your result is incorrect and the reason is that the rectangle [0,1] x [0,1] in Cartesian coordinates cannot easily be parametrized in polar coordinates, in particular it does not correspond to [0,pi/4] x [0,1] , which describes an 45 degree sector of the unit disc.
If that is so, then what can we do to solve this integral?I worked to solve this integral like the solvation of gaussian integral but I can't find the parameters of integrals.If this solution is right, what is the parameters of integrals else what is the right solution of this problem?
I really wonder the solution.
Please help me,
Thanks in advance.

It has no more elementary expression other than in terms of the Error Function, which is pretty much just shorthand notation for that integral anyway, or you could try the series I put up if you like that better. There is NO "nicer" solution in terms of things like pi and e.

Gib Z said:
If you don't mind getting a infinite series for an answer, replacing the integrand with its Taylor series and integrating term by term gives a relatively nice looking series:

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{(2n+1) n!}[/tex]

I gave this series to Maple, and the result it gave me involves the error function in the form erfc:

[tex]\frac{i\sqrt {\pi }}{2} \left( -1+{\rm erfc} \left( i \right) \right) [/tex]

g_edgar said:
I gave this series to Maple, and the result it gave me involves the error function in the form erfc:

[tex]\frac{i\sqrt {\pi }}{2} \left( -1+{\rm erfc} \left( i \right) \right) [/tex]

Erfc is the complementary function of the error function, and is often defined to be 1-erf(x).

Since [tex]erf(x)=\frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}} \int^x_0 e^{-t^2} dt[/tex] and through some formal manipulations, we first let x= i, and then change variables via u= it we can easily show how the expression maple gives is indeed [tex]\int^1_0 e^{t^2} dt[/tex]

Related to Integrating exp(x^2) like gaussian integral?

1. What is the formula for integrating exp(x^2)?

The formula for integrating exp(x^2) is known as the Gaussian integral, and it is √π * erf(x), where erf(x) is the error function.

2. How do I solve the Gaussian integral?

To solve the Gaussian integral, first substitute u = x^2 and du = 2x dx. Then, use the substitution method to convert the integral into ∫ exp(u) / 2√u du. This integral can be solved using integration by parts and the substitution u = 2v^2.

3. Why is the Gaussian integral important in statistics?

The Gaussian integral is important in statistics because it is the basis for the normal distribution, which is commonly used to model data in many real-world situations. It also allows for the calculation of probabilities and confidence intervals.

4. Can the Gaussian integral be solved without using calculus?

No, the Gaussian integral cannot be solved without using calculus. It requires integration techniques such as substitution and integration by parts to find the solution.

5. What are the applications of the Gaussian integral in physics?

The Gaussian integral has applications in many areas of physics, including quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and thermodynamics. It is used to calculate probabilities, solve differential equations, and model various physical phenomena.