Integrating Diffusion: Problem Solving and Fick's Law Explained

• Thread starter WiFO215
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, the speaker is working on a problem involving diffusion and has reached an integral that they cannot integrate using any method. They explain the problem and present the integral, which involves finding the mean time for a particle to hit a wall in a diffusion process. The speaker mentions using a Gaussian distribution as a model and presents an integral for finding the mean time. They express their concern that the numerator of the integral may be unbounded and ask for hints on how to integrate it. They also mention needing to do a similar case with biased probabilities.
WiFO215
I am working on a problem (not homework) on diffusion and have landed up with an integral which I simply cannot integrate. No method seems to work.

I shall first describe the problem a little for you to check if I have landed up on the correct route, and then present the integral.

According to Fick's law, the flux of particles(Fl) crossing a point can be given by

[tex]F_{l}[/tex] = [tex]- D \frac{\partial P(x,t)}{\partial x} [/tex]

where D is some constant.

My problem is concerned only with first passages, so I have been told to assume that there is an absorbing barrier at a certain length l away from the origin. The particle starts its motion from the origin and its motion is a diffusion process with equal probability of moving in either direction. Hence, a Guassian distribution is going to be used as the model.

P(x,t) = [exp([tex]\frac{-x^{2}}{2Dt}[/tex]) - exp([tex]\frac{-l^{2}}{2Dt}[/tex])]/ [tex]\sqrt{2Dt}[/tex]

On differentiating this term with respect to x only the first term survives.

Now here comes my problem: I am supposed to find the mean time <T>, that the particle takes to hit the wall. Here is the integral:

<T> = [tex]\frac{\int_{0}^{\infty} t F_{l}dt}{\int_{0}^{\infty}F_{l}dt}[/tex]

= [tex]\frac{
\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{
exp[-x^{2}/2Dt]}{\sqrt{t}
}dt
}

{\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{
exp[-x^{2}/2Dt]dt}{t \sqrt{t}
}}
[/tex]

I have a feeling this integral on the numerator might be unbounded. How do I integrate it? Following this I also have to do the case where the probability of moving towards anyone side is biased. Any hints?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Both integrals can be integrated using a substitition t = 1/z^2. Your numerator diverges. Check the expression for P, Wikipedia states that you should have erf instead of exp.

Related to Integrating Diffusion: Problem Solving and Fick's Law Explained

1. What is integration?

Integration is the process of combining different parts or elements into a whole. In science, integration often refers to the combination of different ideas, theories, or data to form a cohesive understanding of a topic.

2. Why is integration important in science?

Integration is important in science because it allows us to connect and synthesize information from different fields or disciplines. This can lead to a deeper and more comprehensive understanding of complex systems and phenomena.

3. What are the steps involved in integrating information?

The steps involved in integrating information may vary depending on the specific topic or field, but generally involve identifying relevant sources, critically evaluating the information, and synthesizing the information to form a coherent and supported conclusion.

4. How can I improve my integration skills?

To improve your integration skills, it is important to practice actively seeking out and considering information from different sources and perspectives. Additionally, developing critical thinking skills and being open to new ideas and perspectives can also aid in the integration process.

5. What are some common challenges when integrating information?

Some common challenges when integrating information include conflicting or contradictory data, bias or incomplete information, and difficulties in synthesizing and organizing large amounts of information. It is important to approach integration with a critical and open mind and to carefully evaluate the information being integrated.