Integrating absolute values over infinity

In summary, to find <x> in terms of X0, we need to integrate the function e^(-2|x|/X0) from 0 to infinity, since the function is even. The derivative of |x| depends on whether x is less than or greater than 0, but this can be accounted for in the integration.
ElijahRockers
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find <x> in terms of X0 if X0 is constant and

[itex]\Psi(x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{X_0}}e^{\frac{-|x|}{X_0}}[/itex]

and

[itex]<x> = \int^{\infty}_{-\infty}{\Psi^* x \Psi}dx[/itex]

where Psi* is the complex conjugate of Psi.

Since there is no imaginary component, this is effectively Psi2.

so, from here I could do a u-substitution to integrate over e^u du, but I'm not sure how.

What is the derivative of -2|x|/X_0 with respect to x?

This is part of a physics exercise I'm working on.

[itex] <x> = \frac{1}{x_0}\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}e^{\frac{-2|x|}{X_0}} dx[/itex]

I have found that the derivative of |x| depends on whether x<0 or x>0. for x<0, x'=-1 and for x>0, x'=1 but I'm not sure how to tie this all together for the integration.

I guess what I'm really asking is how do I find the integrand here?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ElijahRockers said:

Homework Statement

and

so, from here I could do a u-substitution to integrate over e^u du, but I'm not sure how.

[itex] <x> = \frac{1}{x_0}\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}e^{\frac{-2|x|}{X_0}} dx[/itex]

I have found that the derivative of |x| depends on whether x<0 or x>0. for x<0, x'=-1 and for x>0, x'=1 but I'm not sure how to tie this all together for the integration.

So, split the integral.

[itex]\displaystyle <x> = \frac{1}{x_0}\int^{0}_{-\infty}xe^{\frac{-2|x|}{X_0}} dx+\frac{1}{x_0}\int^{\infty}_{0}xe^{\frac{-2|x|}{X_0}} dx[/itex]Added in Edit:

And where did the x go in the integrand ? Well, that makes the integrand odd. Therefore, don't bother splitting it.

Last edited:
ElijahRockers said:

Homework Statement

and

Just integrate from 0 to infinity where |x|=x. The integral from -infinity to 0 will be the same thing since your function is even.

Related to Integrating absolute values over infinity

What is the concept of integrating absolute values over infinity?

The concept of integrating absolute values over infinity involves finding the area under a curve that extends to infinity and taking into account both positive and negative values. This is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the total energy or work done by a system over an infinite range.

What are the limits of integration when integrating absolute values over infinity?

The upper limit of integration is infinity, while the lower limit is typically negative infinity. This allows for the inclusion of both positive and negative values in the integration process.

How is integrating absolute values over infinity different from regular integration?

Integrating absolute values over infinity involves taking into account both positive and negative values, while regular integration only involves positive values. This can result in different values for the area under the curve and requires special techniques, such as using symmetry, to solve.

What are some applications of integrating absolute values over infinity?

Integrating absolute values over infinity is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the total energy or work done by a system over an infinite range. It is also used in economics to find the total value of a continuous income or expense stream.

Are there any limitations to integrating absolute values over infinity?

One limitation of integrating absolute values over infinity is that the function must be well-behaved and have a defined limit at infinity. Otherwise, the integration may not converge and the result may be undefined. Additionally, the integration process can become more complex and may require the use of special techniques.