Integrating a natural log in double integral

In summary, you tried integrating ln(y)/y by parts, but you got an error. You then tried substitution and got the correct result.
Emspak

Homework Statement

[itex]\int^{1}_{0}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{e^x}_{e^-x}[/itex][itex]\frac{lny}{y}[/itex]dydx

The attempt at a solution

So I am integrating ln(y)/y and I tried it by parts, first with u = ln(y), dv = 1/y, and therefore du = 1/y, and v = ln y

but if I use that I get

(ln(y))2-[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\frac{lny}{y}[/itex] again.

So I tried switching u and v around. I got: u = 1/y, dv = ln(y) dy, du = 1/y2 and v = 1/y.

On that basis I get [itex]\frac{1}{y^2}[/itex]-[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{y^3}[/itex]|[itex]^{e^x}_{e^-x}[/itex]dx

and from there I get

[itex]\int^{1}_{0}[/itex] [itex]\frac{1}{y^2}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{1}{4y^4}[/itex]|[itex]^{e^x}_{e^-x}[/itex]dx

But I have a sneaking suspicion I have done something horribly wrong. I see the integral I want as (ln(y))2/2. But that doesn't make sense to me.

So, I did something messed up. If someone could tell me where it is, that would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Emspak said:

Homework Statement

[itex]\int^{1}_{0}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{e^x}_{e^-x}[/itex][itex]\frac{lny}{y}[/itex]dydx

The attempt at a solution

So I am integrating ln(y)/y and I tried it by parts, first with u = ln(y), dv = 1/y, and therefore du = 1/y, and v = ln y
Try substitution.

Let u = ln(y).

but if I use that I get

(ln(y))2-[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\frac{lny}{y}[/itex] again.

So I tried switching u and v around. I got: u = 1/y, dv = ln(y) dy, du = 1/y2 and v = 1/y.

On that basis I get [itex]\frac{1}{y^2}[/itex]-[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{y^3}[/itex]|[itex]^{e^x}_{e^-x}[/itex]dx

and from there I get

[itex]\int^{1}_{0}[/itex] [itex]\frac{1}{y^2}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{1}{4y^4}[/itex]|[itex]^{e^x}_{e^-x}[/itex]dx

But I have a sneaking suspicion I have done something horribly wrong. I see the integral I want as (ln(y))2/2. But that doesn't make sense to me.

So, I did something messed up. If someone could tell me where it is, that would be much appreciated.

I did that the first time, and showed what I got. u=ln y so du = 1/y, correct? Or not? If that's so and I et dv = 1/y then v has to be ln y, no? "try substitution" is what I just did.

Emspak said:
I did that the first time, and showed what I got. u=ln y so du = 1/y, correct? Or not? If that's so and I et dv = 1/y then v has to be ln y, no?
No.

You tried integration by parts.

Do integration by substitution, with the substitution u = ln(y). No v is needed.

ah, i see (I was thinking u-substitutions in integration by parts) -- NOW It is a lot clearer. Thanks much.

Related to Integrating a natural log in double integral

1. What is the purpose of integrating a natural log in a double integral?

Integrating a natural log in a double integral allows us to solve for the area under a curve with a logarithmic function as the integrand. It is a useful technique in many areas of science, particularly in physics and engineering.

2. How is the natural log integrated in a double integral?

The natural log is integrated in a double integral by employing the substitution method. This involves replacing the variable of integration with a new variable that is a function of the original variable, and then using the chain rule to simplify the integrand.

3. What are the limits of integration when integrating a natural log in a double integral?

The limits of integration when integrating a natural log in a double integral depend on the specific problem being solved. They can be determined by considering the boundaries of the region being integrated over and setting up the double integral accordingly.

4. Are there any special cases to consider when integrating a natural log in a double integral?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider when integrating a natural log in a double integral. One is when the limits of integration include negative values, in which case the absolute value of the log must be used. Another is when the integrand involves a fraction with a natural log in the denominator, in which case the integration must be done using partial fractions.

5. What are some real-world applications of integrating a natural log in a double integral?

Integrating a natural log in a double integral has many real-world applications, including calculating the work done by a variable force, determining the stability of a physical system, and solving for the electric potential in a charged conductor. It is also used in economics and finance to model exponential growth and decay.