Integrating a dot product inside an exponential

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of spherical coordinates in evaluating a function and the choice of theta over phi in this context. The choice of theta is simply to make the integration easier and avoid unnecessary complexity.
naele

Homework Statement

This is from Peskin & Schroeder p. 14 in case anybody's interested. The function is
[tex]
U(t)=\frac{1}{(2\pi)^3}\int d^3p\, e^{-it \sqrt{p^2+m^2}}e^{i\vec p\cdot(\vec x-\vec x_0)}
[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Essentially you write out the dot product as [itex]p\cdot x'=px'\cos\theta[/itex] and then change to spherical coordinates and then effect a u-sub letting u=cos(theta). What I'm not sure on is why the angle is written with theta (the inclination angle, physicist convention) and not phi. I understand that the angle between two vectors is the same when projected onto a plane, but is that what's going on here? As in, the choice of theta is simply to make it easier for the integration?

Physics news on Phys.org
When you switch to spherical coordinates, the axes are set up so that the z axis is aligned with x-x0. You could, in principle, orient the axes differently. In that case, the angle between the two vectors will be a function of both θ and Φ, but why make things complicated?

Thank you, that clears everything up.

Related to Integrating a dot product inside an exponential

1. How do I integrate a dot product inside an exponential?

To integrate a dot product inside an exponential, you can use the properties of the dot product and the properties of the exponential function. First, expand the dot product into a sum of individual terms. Then, use the property of the exponential function that states e^(a+b) = e^a * e^b to separate the exponential into two separate integrals. Finally, use the properties of integration to evaluate each integral separately.

2. What is the general formula for integrating a dot product inside an exponential?

The general formula for integrating a dot product inside an exponential is ∫(a1*x1 + a2*x2 + ... + an*xn)^n * e^(b1*x1 + b2*x2 + ... + bn*xn) dx = ∏(∫aixi^n * e^bixi dx), where ai and bi are constants and xi is the variable of integration.

3. Can I use integration by parts to integrate a dot product inside an exponential?

Yes, you can use integration by parts to integrate a dot product inside an exponential. However, it may not always be the most efficient method and may require multiple iterations of integration by parts. It is recommended to use the properties of the dot product and exponential function as described in question 1 for a simpler integration process.

4. Are there any special cases when integrating a dot product inside an exponential?

Yes, there are certain special cases when integrating a dot product inside an exponential. For example, if the dot product only has one term (i.e. a1*x1), then the integration can be simplified to ∫a1*x1 * e^(b1*x1) dx = (a1/b1) * e^(b1*x1). Additionally, if the dot product contains only constants, then the integral will simply be a constant multiple of the original dot product.

5. Can I use substitution to integrate a dot product inside an exponential?

Yes, you can use substitution to integrate a dot product inside an exponential. This method involves substituting a variable for one of the terms in the dot product and then using the chain rule to simplify the integral. However, this method may not always be the most efficient and may require multiple substitutions to fully integrate the dot product.