Integrating 1/e^x [ (1-e^-2x)^1/2]

I changed my integral to:\int\frac{du}{\sqrt{1-u^2}}Then I used arcsin to integrate and got:\arcsin{u}+CI substituted back and got:\arcsin(e^{-x})+CBut Mathematica gives me a different answer.In summary, the conversation is about finding the integral of 1/(e^x * sqrt(1-e^(-2x))) using integration by parts and u-substitution. Different methods were suggested and tried, including using t^2=1-e^(-2x) and u=e^(-x). The final solution involves using u=e^(-x) and substituting back to get the
fk378

Homework Statement

Integrate.
1/ [e^x (1-e^(-2x))^1/2]

Homework Equations

integration by parts

The Attempt at a Solution

First I split up the integral so it would be (1/e^-x)[(1/(1-e^-2x)^1/2]
Then I set u=e^-x, dv= (1-e^-2x)^-1/2
du= -e^-x
For my v I got 2(1-e^-2x)^1/2 but I don't know how to go about with the e^-2x, as in how to finish solving for the v-part.

I tried u-substitution and I get another term in the denominator. Then when I tried to differentiate the answer I originally got for v, I did not have anything in the denominator... can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\int \frac{1}{e^x \sqrt{1-e^{-2x}}} dx[/tex]

try [itex]t^2=1-e^{-2x}[/itex]

Is that valid? I just tried to solve it using your suggestion and with u=e^-x. With the u-subst I end up getting the arcsin integral, but I get something different with the t^2 substitution.

That's what I did too and verified it by taking it's derivative, but Mathematica gives a totally different solution.

I changed mine to:

[tex]\int\frac{e^{-x}}{\sqrt{1-(e^{-x})^2}}dx[/tex]

Used:

[tex]u=e^{-x} \rightarrow \ln{u}=-x[/tex]

Oh interesting, why did you take the natural log? Where does that come into play?

I let:

[tex]u=e^{-x}[/tex] be my u-sub

[tex]-\frac{du}{u}=dx[/tex] be my du-sub

Related to Integrating 1/e^x [ (1-e^-2x)^1/2]

What is the purpose of integrating 1/ex [ (1-e-2x)1/2]?

The purpose of integrating this function is to find the area under the curve of the function. This is useful for many applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields.

What is the general formula for integrating 1/ex [ (1-e-2x)1/2]?

The general formula for integrating this function is ∫ 1/ex [ (1-e-2x)1/2] dx = 2/3e-2x + C, where C is the constant of integration.

What are the limits of integration for integrating 1/ex [ (1-e-2x)1/2]?

The limits of integration for this function depend on the specific problem or application. However, the general limits of integration are from 0 to infinity.

What is the process for solving the integral of 1/ex [ (1-e-2x)1/2]?

The process for solving this integral involves using integration by parts and substitution. It may also require using trigonometric identities.

What are some real-life applications of integrating 1/ex [ (1-e-2x)1/2]?

Some real-life applications of integrating this function include calculating the velocity of a particle in motion, determining the amount of drug in a person's bloodstream over time, and finding the electric potential of a charged particle. It is also useful in many other areas of physics, engineering, and mathematics.