Integrate x^3/(x^2 - 16) with Trig Substitution

In summary, to evaluate the given integral, we can substitute x=4sec∅ and dx=4sec∅tan∅d∅, split sec^4∅ into sec^2∅ and (1+tan^2∅), and integrate using the substitution u=x^2 - 16. The resulting answer can be written as (x^2 / 2) + 8 * ln|x^2 - 16| + c, where the extra -8 can be absorbed into the constant, making both solutions correct.
whatlifeforme

Homework Statement

evaluate the integral.

Homework Equations

integral (x^3 / (x^2 - 16)

The Attempt at a Solution

x=4sec∅
dx=4sec∅tan∅d∅

1. i substituted those values in, and then split sec^4∅ into sec^2∅ and (1+tan^2∅).
2. integral 16 (1/u) du + integral 16 (u) du.
3. end with:

16 * ln|sqrt(x^2 - 16) / 4| + (1/2) (x^2 - 16)

however, the answer is:

(x^2)/2 + 8 * ln|x^2 - 16| + c.

Physics news on Phys.org
okay. i tried u=x^2 -16

1/2 integral (u+16) / u du

1/2 integral (du) + 1/2 integral (16/u) du

1/2(x^2 - 16) + 8 * ln|x^2 - 16|

i get part of the correct answer: (x^2 / 2) + 8 * ln|x^2 - 16| but i have an extra -8 .

correct answer: (x^2 / 2) + 8 * ln|x^2 - 16| + c
my answer: (x^2 / 2) + 8 * ln|x^2 - 16| - 8 + c

whatlifeforme said:
okay. i tried u=x^2 -16

1/2 integral (u+16) / u du

1/2 integral (du) + 1/2 integral (16/u) du

1/2(x^2 - 16) + 8 * ln|x^2 - 16|

i get part of the correct answer: (x^2 / 2) + 8 * ln|x^2 - 16| but i have an extra -8 .

correct answer: (x^2 / 2) + 8 * ln|x^2 - 16| + c
my answer: (x^2 / 2) + 8 * ln|x^2 - 16| - 8 + c

If you differentiate both of those you get the same thing. They are both correct. You can absorb the -8 into the +c.

Related to Integrate x^3/(x^2 - 16) with Trig Substitution

1. What is the purpose of using Trig Substitution to integrate x^3/(x^2 - 16)?

Trig Substitution is a method used to evaluate integrals involving expressions containing square roots, such as in the case of x^3/(x^2 - 16). By substituting the variable x with a trigonometric function, the integral can be simplified and evaluated using basic trigonometric identities.

2. How do I choose which trigonometric function to substitute for x?

The choice of trigonometric function depends on the form of the expression inside the integral. For x^3/(x^2 - 16), the most appropriate substitution would be x = 4sinθ or x = 4cosθ, as they cancel out the square root term and simplify the expression.

3. Can I use Trig Substitution for any integral with a radical expression?

No, Trig Substitution is only applicable for integrals with radical expressions that can be simplified using trigonometric identities. It may not work for all integrals with square roots, and other integration techniques may need to be used.

4. Is it necessary to convert all variables to θ when using Trig Substitution?

Yes, converting all variables to θ is crucial for the success of Trig Substitution. This is because the trigonometric identities used to simplify the integral are in terms of θ, and keeping the original variables may result in a more complicated integral.

5. How can I check if my answer is correct when using Trig Substitution?

You can check your answer by differentiating it and comparing it to the original integrand. If they are equal, then your answer is correct. You can also plug in a few values of x and see if the original expression and your answer give the same results.