Integrate x^2 /square root (x^2 +1)

In summary, the question is how to integrate x^2 /square root (x^2 + 1). The person tried to do it but was stucked in the very last step. At the end, they got x/2 * cosh(arcsinh x) + 1/2 * arcsinh x - arcsin (square root (x^2 + 1)). They don't know how to simplify cosh(arcsinh x) into simpler form in terms of x.
yanjt
Hi,
the question is integrate x^2 /square root (x^2 +1).

I tried to do it but i was stucked in the very last step.at the end,I got x/2 * cosh(arcsinh x) + 1/2 * arcsinh x - arcsin (square root (x^2 + 1)) +C. I dunnoe how can I simplify cosh(arcsinh x) into simplier form in term of x. I hope what I wrote is not too confusing.Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

I haven't checked your integration but arcsinh(z)=ln(z+sqrt(1+z^2)). You can put that into cosh(y)=(e^y+e^(-y))/2 and get an algebraic form for cosh(arcsinh(z)).

Hi yanjt! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

i] cosh(arcsinh x) is cosh of the "angle" whose sinh is x … so just use cosh2 - sinh2 = 1. :wink:

ii] why is your result so complicated? just use a substitution. :smile:

Thanks, dick n tiny-tim!:smile:

I did it in this way:

x2/√(x2+1) = √(x2+1) - 1/√(x2+1)

Integrate 1/√(x2+1) = arcsinh x
For √(x2+1),i subsitute x=sinh t.
So, integrate √(x2+1 = cosh2t dt
= 1/4 sinh 2t + t/2
=1/4 (2 sinh t cosh t) + arcsinh x/2
=x/2 (cosh(arcsinh x)) + arcsinh x/2

Hi yanjt! :smile:

Wouldn't it have been easier to substitute x = sinht at the very start? :wink:

(and you can't leave cosh(arcsinh x) as it is … you must convert that into something more "algebraic" :smile:)

ooohhhh yeah!y i didnt think of tat?:confused: tat's a faster n easier way to do it!thanks!:smile: but is integrate 1/cosh x = 1/sinh x?can i jus integrate like tat?

i know tat i can't jus leave cosh(arcsinh x) as my final answer.tat's y i m stucked in this step. but i will try to change it into somethg more "algebraic" using the methods tat dick n u mentioned in the first 2 posts.

Related to Integrate x^2 /square root (x^2 +1)

1. What does "Integrate x^2 /square root (x^2 +1)" mean?

"Integrate x^2 /square root (x^2 +1)" refers to finding the antiderivative, or the original function, of x^2 /sqrt(x^2 +1). In other words, it involves finding a function whose derivative is equal to x^2 /sqrt(x^2 +1).

2. What is the process for solving "Integrate x^2 /square root (x^2 +1)"?

The process for solving "Integrate x^2 /square root (x^2 +1)" involves using the substitution method. This involves substituting u=x^2 +1 and then solving for the antiderivative in terms of u. Once the antiderivative is found, the solution can be written in terms of x by substituting back in u=x^2 +1.

3. Is "Integrate x^2 /square root (x^2 +1)" a difficult integral to solve?

Yes, "Integrate x^2 /square root (x^2 +1)" is considered a difficult integral to solve. It requires knowledge of integration techniques such as substitution and trigonometric identities.

4. What is the final answer to "Integrate x^2 /square root (x^2 +1)"?

The final answer to "Integrate x^2 /square root (x^2 +1)" is (1/2)(x*sqrt(x^2 +1)+ln|x+sqrt(x^2 +1)|) + C, where C is the constant of integration.

5. What is the significance of "Integrate x^2 /square root (x^2 +1)" in mathematics?

"Integrate x^2 /square root (x^2 +1)" is a commonly used integral in calculus and is an important concept in the study of integration. It allows for the calculation of areas under curves and has applications in physics, engineering, and other fields.