Integral w/ ln: Struggling? Get Help Here!

In summary, when trying to integrate by parts, one must take into account the substitution of the log function.
Yankel
Hello

I am struggling with this integral:

\[\int \ln\left(\sqrt{x}+1 \right)\,dx\]I tried integrating by parts (multiplying the integral by 1), however I got stuck with another integral I couldn't solve on the way

\[\int \frac{1}{\sqrt{x}+1}dx\]Thanks !

Physics news on Phys.org
I would try a substitution involving the argument of the log function first, then integration by parts. :D

\(\displaystyle w=\sqrt{x}+1\,\therefore\,dx=2(w-1)\,dw\)

and we have:

\(\displaystyle I=2\int(w-1)\ln(w)\,dw\)

Integration by parts:

\(\displaystyle u=\ln(w)\,\therefore\,du=\frac{1}{w}\,dw\)

\(\displaystyle dv=(w-1)dw\,\therefore\,v=\frac{w^2}{2}-w=\frac{w(w-2)}{2}\)

\(\displaystyle I=2\left(\frac{w(w-2)}{2}\ln(w)-\frac{1}{2}\int w-2\,dw \right)\)

\(\displaystyle I=w(w-2)\ln(w)-\frac{1}{2}w^2+2w+C\)

Back-substitute for $w$:

\(\displaystyle w^2-2w=x-1\)

\(\displaystyle -\frac{1}{2}w^2+2w=-\frac{x}{2}+\sqrt{x}+\frac{3}{2}\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle I=(x-1)\ln\left(\sqrt{x}+1 \right)-\frac{x}{2}+\sqrt{x}+C\)

I think its better you do by parts first.Then you may arrive at \(\displaystyle \int\frac{\sqrt{x}}{\sqrt{x}+1}dx\)
Edit : made a mistake earlier,Okay may be that's what you have asked(Bandit)

i would do it by letting,
\(\displaystyle \begin{align*}x&=t^2\\dx&=2tdt\end{align*}\)
so,
\(\displaystyle \int\frac{2t}{t+1}dt=2t-2\log(t+1)\)

Last edited:
mathworker said:
I think its better you do by parts first.Then you may arrive at \(\displaystyle \int\frac{\sqrt{x}}{\sqrt{x}+1}dx\)
Edit : made a mistake earlier

How do you arrive at this?

\(\displaystyle \int\log\sqrt{x}+1dx=logx\int1dx-\int\frac{1}{\sqrt{x}+1}\frac{1}{2\sqrt{x}}xdx=x\log{x}-\frac{1}{2}\int\frac{\sqrt{x}}{\sqrt{x}+1}\)

Yankel said:
Hello

I am struggling with this integral:

\[\int \ln\left(\sqrt{x}+1 \right)\,dx\]I tried integrating by parts (multiplying the integral by 1), however I got stuck with another integral I couldn't solve on the way

\[\int \frac{1}{\sqrt{x}+1}dx\]Thanks !

[tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int{ \ln{ \left( \sqrt{x} + 1 \right) } \, dx} &= \int{ 1 \cdot \ln{ \left( \sqrt{x} + 1 \right) } \, dx} \end{align*}[/tex]

Now applying integration by parts with [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} u = \ln{ \left( \sqrt{x} + 1 \right) } \implies du = \frac{1}{2\sqrt{x} \, \left( \sqrt{x} + 1 \right) } \, dx \end{align*}[/tex] and [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} dv = 1\, dx \implies v = x \end{align*}[/tex] and the integral becomes

[tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int{ 1 \cdot \ln{ \left( \sqrt{x} + 1 \right) } \, dx} &= x\ln{ \left( \sqrt{x} + 1 \right) } - \int{ \frac{x}{2\sqrt{x}\,\left( \sqrt{x} + 1 \right) } \, dx} \end{align*}[/tex]

Now let [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} t = \sqrt{x} + 1 \implies dt = \frac{1}{2\sqrt{x}}\,dx \end{align*}[/tex] and the integral becomes

[tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} x\ln{ \left( \sqrt{x} + 1 \right) } - \int{ \frac{x}{2\sqrt{x}\,\left( \sqrt{x} + 1 \right) } \, dx} &= x\ln{ \left( \sqrt{x} + 1 \right) } - \int{ \frac{ (t - 1)^2 }{t} \,dt } \\ &= x\ln{ \left( \sqrt{x} + 1 \right) } - \int{ \frac{t^2 - 2t + 1}{t}\,dt} \\ &= x\ln{ \left( \sqrt{x} + 1 \right) } - \int{ t - 2 + \frac{1}{t} \, dt} \\ &= x\ln{ \left( \sqrt{x} + 1 \right) } - \left( \frac{t^2}{2} - 2t + \ln{|t|} \right) + C \\ &= x\ln{ \left( \sqrt{x} + 1 \right) } - \frac{t^2}{2} + 2t - \ln{|t|} + C \\ &= x\ln{ \left( \sqrt{x} + 1 \right) } - \frac{ \left( \sqrt{x} + 1 \right) ^2}{2} + 2 \left( \sqrt{x} + 1 \right) - \ln{ \left| \sqrt{x} + 1 \right| } + C \end{align*}[/tex]

Thanks everyone, very helpful

Related to Integral w/ ln: Struggling? Get Help Here!

What is the concept of "Integral w/ ln"?

Integral w/ ln, also known as the natural logarithm, is a mathematical function that is the inverse of the exponential function. It is denoted by ln(x) and represents the power to which the base number e (approximately 2.718) must be raised to equal the given number x.

What is the importance of integrating with ln?

Integrating with ln is important in advanced mathematics, especially in calculus and differential equations. It allows us to solve problems involving exponential functions and is also used in various real-world applications, such as finance and physics.

What is the process of integrating with ln?

The process of integrating with ln involves using specific integration techniques, such as the substitution method or integration by parts, to manipulate the function and solve for the integral. It is important to understand the properties and rules of ln in order to successfully integrate with it.

What are some common mistakes when integrating with ln?

Some common mistakes when integrating with ln include forgetting to use the chain rule, incorrectly applying the properties of ln, and not simplifying the expression before integrating. It is important to double-check your work and be familiar with the integration techniques to avoid making these mistakes.

Where can I find help with integrating with ln if I am struggling?

If you are struggling with integrating with ln, there are many resources available to help you. You can review your textbook or class notes, seek assistance from a math tutor or professor, or use online resources such as videos and practice problems to further your understanding of the concept.