Integral Operation: Why Does nηIJ Vanish?

• Thread starter moriheru
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses an integral and its relationship to the commutators of alpha modes. The integral is shown to vanish unless m+n=0, in which case it equals 2π. This concept is important in applications involving orthogonality of sines and cosines, such as Fourier transforms.
moriheru
My question concerns a integral and why it vanishes:
-nηIJ 1/2π ∫0 dσ ei(m+n)σ=-nηIJ deltam+n=0Just to justify why this should be on the beyond the standard model forum, this is part of a calulation concerning the comutators of the alpha modes.

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume m and n are integers?
If ##m+n \neq 0## then, ##m+n = a \in \mathbb{Z}## and
## \int_0^{2\pi} e^{i (m+n) \sigma} d\sigma = \frac{1}{i(m+n)} e^{i (m+n) \sigma} |_0^{2\pi} = \frac{1}{i(m+n)} - \frac{1}{i(m+n)} = 0.##
If ##m+n=0## then ## \int_0^{2\pi} e^{i (m+n) \sigma} d\sigma = \int_0^{2\pi} 1 d\sigma= 2\pi.##

Likes moriheru
Thankyou.

No problem--this idea is fundamental to Fourier transforms and a host of other applications requiring orthogonality of sines and cosines.

Oh... that's an FT I missed that :) would've made that easyer,thanks.

Related to Integral Operation: Why Does nηIJ Vanish?

1. What is Integral Operation?

The Integral Operation, also known as the "integral sign", is a mathematical symbol used to represent a mathematical operation called integration. It is commonly used in calculus to find the area under a curve or to calculate the volume of a solid.

2. What does nηIJ stand for in the Integral Operation equation?

nηIJ is a mathematical term that represents a specific type of tensor, which is a mathematical object that describes the properties of a physical system. In the Integral Operation equation, nηIJ is used to represent the components of this tensor.

3. Why does nηIJ vanish in the Integral Operation equation?

In some cases, the Integral Operation equation may include a term that is equal to nηIJ, but in many cases, this term will cancel out or "vanish" due to mathematical properties such as symmetry or orthogonality. This means that the term does not contribute to the final result of the equation.

4. What is the significance of nηIJ vanishing in the Integral Operation equation?

The vanishing of nηIJ in the Integral Operation equation can have important implications in physics and engineering. It can indicate symmetries in physical systems, or it can simplify calculations and make them more efficient.

5. Are there any exceptions to nηIJ vanishing in the Integral Operation equation?

Yes, there are cases where nηIJ does not vanish in the Integral Operation equation. These cases are typically related to special types of tensors or specific properties of the system being studied. It is important to carefully consider the context and assumptions of the equation to determine if nηIJ will vanish or not.