Integral of the reciprocal of a quadratic over real line

In summary, the conversation discusses an exercise from Cahill's Physical Mathematics in which a ghost contour is used to do an integral for a given polynomial equation. The method involves using contour integration and the residue theorem. There is a discrepancy between the result obtained using Mathematica and the solution provided by the individual, which is found to be due to a mistake in the multiplication of the polynomial.
wotanub

Homework Statement

This is from Cahill's Physical Mathematics. Exercise 5.23.

For [itex]a \gt 0[/itex] and [itex]b^{2} – 4ac \lt 0[/itex], use a ghost contour to do the integral

[itex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty} \frac{1}{ax^{2}+bx+c} \mathrm{d}x[/itex]

Homework Equations

Use contour integration and the residue theorem.

The Attempt at a Solution

Mathematica is giving a different result than I got.
It gives [itex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty} \frac{1}{ax^{2}+bx+c} \mathrm{d}x = \frac{2\pi}{\sqrt{4ac-b^{2}}}[/itex]

My solution:

The roots of the polynomial are

[itex]x = \frac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^{2}-4ac}}{2a}[/itex]

For convenience, write

[itex]x = \alpha \pm \mathrm{i}\beta[/itex]

where [itex] \alpha \equiv \frac{-b}{2a}, \beta \equiv \frac{-\mathrm{i}}{2a}\sqrt{b^{2}-4ac} \gt 0[/itex]

My contour [itex]\mathcal{C}[/itex] will be the real axis, and a large CCW semicircle that encloses the entire UHP. If [itex]z = R \mathrm{e}^{\mathrm{i}\theta}[/itex] then the integral along the arc trivially vanishes as [itex]R→\infty[/itex]

[itex]= \oint_{\mathcal{C}} \frac{1}{az^{2}+bz+c} \mathrm{d}z[/itex]

[itex]= \oint_{\mathcal{C}} \frac{1}{(z-(\alpha - \mathrm{i}\beta))(z-(\alpha + \mathrm{i}\beta))} \mathrm{d}z[/itex]

[itex]= \mathrm{Res}(\frac{1}{(z-(\alpha - \mathrm{i}\beta))(z-(\alpha + \mathrm{i}\beta))}, z = \alpha + \mathrm{i}\beta)[/itex], since this is the only pole in the UHP

[itex] = 2\pi\mathrm{i}\frac{1}{\alpha + \mathrm{i}\beta - (\alpha - \mathrm{i}\beta)}[/itex]

[itex] = 2 \pi\mathrm{i}\frac{1}{2\mathrm{i}\beta}[/itex]

[itex] = \frac{\pi}{\beta}[/itex]

[itex] = \frac{2a\mathrm{i}\pi}{\sqrt{b^{2}-4ac}}[/itex]

[itex] = \frac{2\pi a}{\sqrt{4ac-b^{2}}}[/itex]

So I've got an extra factor of [itex]a[/itex] here? Mistakes?
My Mathematica code is
Code:
Integrate[1/(a*x^2 + b*x + c), {x, -Infinity, Infinity}, Assumptions -> {a > 0, 4*a*c > b^2}]

Physics news on Phys.org
wotanub said:

Homework Statement

This is from Cahill's Physical Mathematics. Exercise 5.23.

For [itex]a \gt 0[/itex] and [itex]b^{2} – 4ac \lt 0[/itex], use a ghost contour to do the integral

Homework Equations

Use contour integration and the residue theorem.

The Attempt at a Solution

Mathematica is giving a different result than I got.
It gives [itex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty} \frac{1}{ax^{2}+bx+c} \mathrm{d}x = \frac{2\pi}{\sqrt{4ac-b^{2}}}[/itex]

My solution:

The roots of the polynomial are

[itex]x = \frac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^{2}-4ac}}{2a}[/itex]

For convenience, write

[itex]x = \alpha \pm \mathrm{i}\beta[/itex]

where [itex] \alpha \equiv \frac{-b}{2a}, \beta \equiv \frac{-\mathrm{i}}{2a}\sqrt{b^{2}-4ac} \gt 0[/itex]

My contour [itex]\mathcal{C}[/itex] will be the real axis, and a large CCW semicircle that encloses the entire UHP. If [itex]z = R \mathrm{e}^{\mathrm{i}\theta}[/itex] then the integral along the arc trivially vanishes as [itex]R→\infty[/itex]

[itex]= \oint_{\mathcal{C}} \frac{1}{az^{2}+bz+c} \mathrm{d}z[/itex]

[itex]= \oint_{\mathcal{C}} \frac{1}{(z-(\alpha - \mathrm{i}\beta))(z-(\alpha + \mathrm{i}\beta))} \mathrm{d}z[/itex]

[itex]= \mathrm{Res}(\frac{1}{(z-(\alpha - \mathrm{i}\beta))(z-(\alpha + \mathrm{i}\beta))}, z = \alpha + \mathrm{i}\beta)[/itex], since this is the only pole in the UHP

[itex] = 2\pi\mathrm{i}\frac{1}{\alpha + \mathrm{i}\beta - (\alpha - \mathrm{i}\beta)}[/itex]

[itex] = 2 \pi\mathrm{i}\frac{1}{2\mathrm{i}\beta}[/itex]

[itex] = \frac{\pi}{\beta}[/itex]

[itex] = \frac{2a\mathrm{i}\pi}{\sqrt{b^{2}-4ac}}[/itex]

[itex] = \frac{2\pi a}{\sqrt{4ac-b^{2}}}[/itex]

So I've got an extra factor of [itex]a[/itex] here? Mistakes?
My Mathematica code is
Code:
Integrate[1/(a*x^2 + b*x + c), {x, -Infinity, Infinity}, Assumptions -> {a > 0, 4*a*c > b^2}]

If ##r_1, r_2## are the roots of the denominator, you need to write ##ax^2 + bx + c = a(x-r_1)(x-r_2)##, not just ##(x-r_1)(x-r)2)## as you wrote.

Oh cool. I know how to contour integrate, I just need to practice multiplying.

Related to Integral of the reciprocal of a quadratic over real line

1. What is the integral of the reciprocal of a quadratic over the real line?

The integral of the reciprocal of a quadratic over the real line is an indefinite integral, meaning it does not have specific upper and lower limits like a definite integral. It is represented by the antiderivative function, which is the inverse operation of differentiation.

2. How is the integral of the reciprocal of a quadratic over the real line solved?

The integral of the reciprocal of a quadratic over the real line can be solved using the method of partial fractions, substitution, or integration by parts. The specific method used will depend on the form of the quadratic function and the given limits, if any.

3. Are there any restrictions on the values of the quadratic function for the integral to exist?

Yes, in order for the integral of the reciprocal of a quadratic over the real line to exist, the quadratic function must not have any real roots. This is because the integral results in an infinite value at the points where the function equals zero.

4. What is the significance of the integral of the reciprocal of a quadratic over the real line in mathematics and science?

The integral of the reciprocal of a quadratic over the real line is used in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as calculating the area under a curve, determining the center of mass of an object, and solving differential equations.

5. Can the integral of the reciprocal of a quadratic over the real line be approximated numerically?

Yes, the integral of the reciprocal of a quadratic over the real line can be approximated using numerical integration methods, such as the trapezoidal rule, Simpson's rule, or Gaussian quadrature. These methods provide accurate results by dividing the integration interval into smaller subintervals and using numerical techniques to calculate the area under the curve.