Integral of Complex exp of dot product

In summary, the conversation discusses the approach to solving the integral S(\vec{q})= \int_0^r exp(i\vec{q}\cdot\vec{x})4\pi x^2 \ dx, with the suggestion of using spherical coordinates and a substitution to simplify the integral.
SuperNoob
[tex] S(\vec{q})= \int_0^r exp(i\vec{q}\cdot\vec{x})4\pi x^2 \ dx[/tex]

How would one approach this integral?
I tried to "ignore" the dot product and proceeded with [tex]exp(i\vec{q}\cdot \vec{x})=exp(iqx) [/tex] and got a wrong answer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If this integral is to be done in 3D, one may switch to spherical coordinates which has the volume element

[tex] dV = r^2 sin(\theta)\; dr\; d\theta\; d\phi [/tex]

and also, the dot product is

[tex] |x||q|\; cos(\theta) [/tex]

if x = r and play around with substitution, this integral might be easier to do.

Thanks!

Related to Integral of Complex exp of dot product

1. What is the integral of complex exponential of dot product?

The integral of complex exponential of dot product is a mathematical operation that involves finding the area under the curve of a function that contains a complex exponential expression multiplied by a dot product of two vectors. It is denoted by ∫eix⋅y dx, where i is the imaginary unit and x⋅y is the dot product of two vectors x and y.

2. How is the integral of complex exponential of dot product calculated?

The integral of complex exponential of dot product can be calculated using integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or using the properties of complex numbers. It is important to carefully consider the limits of integration and choose the appropriate integration method for the given function.

3. What is the significance of the integral of complex exponential of dot product?

The integral of complex exponential of dot product has various applications in physics, engineering, and signal processing. It is used to solve problems related to complex systems, such as quantum mechanics and electromagnetism. It also has applications in Fourier analysis, which is used to decompose functions into simpler components.

4. Is the integral of complex exponential of dot product always defined?

No, the integral of complex exponential of dot product is not always defined. It depends on the function being integrated and the limits of integration. If the function is not continuous or if the limits of integration are infinite, then the integral may not be defined. It is important to carefully check the conditions for the integral to be defined before attempting to calculate it.

5. Can the integral of complex exponential of dot product be evaluated numerically?

Yes, the integral of complex exponential of dot product can be evaluated numerically using various numerical integration methods such as Simpson's rule, trapezoidal rule, or Gauss-Legendre quadrature. These methods are used to approximate the value of the integral when an analytical solution is not possible or too complex to calculate.