Integral of Bessel Function of the First Kind

In summary: But here's the solution anyway...In summary, the conversation discusses finding a solution for a given integral involving the Bessel function and using Parseval's theorem and the evenness of the function to simplify the integral and arrive at the desired result.
Airsteve0

Homework Statement

I need to show that the definite integral (from 0 to infinity) of the Bessel function of the first kind (i.e.Jo(x)) goes to 1.

Homework Equations

All of the equations which I was given to do this problem are shown in the picture I have attached. However, I believe the result shown in part (b) is most relevant.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have fully worked through parts (a) and (b) of this question; however, I am unsure about how to attack this last problem. I was wondering if Parseval's theorem may be useful here but that has been my most recent thoughts on it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• bessel.jpg
    bessel.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 4,289
Physics news on Phys.org
am i missing something, or what is that theta in the 2nd last formula?

I think you're probably on the right track, parseval's coupled with the eveness of the function should do it

that theta is just my prof's way of writing a Heaviside step function

i thought so, but bit confusing with the notation, probably confused other responder stoo... however that should simplify the integral

starting with parseval's and symmetry (even), you have:
[tex] 2\int_0^{\infty}J_0(x)dx = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}J_0(x)dx = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}J_0(x)dx
= \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\tilde{J}_0(k)dk = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dk\theta(1-|k|)\frac{2}{\sqrt{1-k^2}}[/tex]

now for a given k, where is the heaviside function 0?

lanedance said:
i thought so, but bit confusing with the notation, probably confused other responder stoo... however that should simplify the integral

starting with parseval's and symmetry (even), you have:
[tex] 2\int_0^{\infty}J_0(x)dx = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}J_0(x)dx = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}J_0(x)dx
= \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\tilde{J}_0(k)dk = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dk\theta(1-|k|)\frac{2}{\sqrt{1-k^2}}[/tex]

now for a given k, where is the heaviside function 0?

Doesn't Parseval's relation relate to the Modulus Squared of the function and its Fourier transform?

good point, and sorry for the silly mistake, was running out the door to meet the missus, now as an idea that needs work... starting with what you want to evaluate
[tex] \int_0^{\infty}dx J_0(x) = \int_0^{\infty}dx \int_0^{\infty}dk e^{-ikx} \tilde{J}_0(k) [/tex]

now assuming we can change the order of integration...
[tex] = \int_0^{\infty}dk \int_0^{\infty}dx e^{-ikx} \tilde{J}_0(k)[/tex]

which gives
[tex] = \int_0^{\infty}dk ( e^{-ikx} \tilde{J}_0(k) )|_0^{\infty}[/tex]

the
[tex] = \int_0^{\infty}dk \tilde{J}_0(k)[/tex]

so it's worth seeing what that integrates to and whether the order change is valid...

Last edited:
lanedance said:
good point, and sorry for the silly mistake, was running out the door to meet the missus, now as an idea that needs work... starting what you want to evaluate, is the following
[tex] \int_0^{\infty}dx J_0(x) = \int_0^{\infty}dx \int_0^{\infty}dk e^{-ikx} \tilde{J}_0(k) [/tex]

now assuming we can change the order of integration...
[tex] = \int_0^{\infty}dk \int_0^{\infty}dx e^{-ikx} \tilde{J}_0(k)[/tex]

which gives
[tex] = \int_0^{\infty}dk ( e^{-ikx} \tilde{J}_0(k) )|_0^{\infty}[/tex]

the
[tex] = \int_0^{\infty}dk \tilde{J}_0(k)[/tex]

so it's worth seeing what that integrates to and whether the order change is valid...

I seem to see a problem with the first integration, over x. There should be i and k terms coming down from that integration, sadly. Unless I'm making a silly mistake.

Last edited:
glad you're on the ball tonight... more ideas
[tex] = \int_0^{\infty}dk \int_0^{\infty}dx \\int_0^{\infty} \frac{1}{\pi} ( e^{-ikx} \tilde{J}_0(k) )[/tex]

[tex] = \int_0^{\infty}dk \int_0^{\infty}dx\frac{1}{\pi} (cos(kx) - isin(kx)) \tilde{J}_0(k) )[/tex]

and as we know the function is real, we only need keep the real part for the integral...
[tex] =\frac{1}{\pi} \int_0^{\infty}dk \int_0^{\infty} cos(kx) \tilde{J}_0(k) [/tex]

Last edited:
lanedance said:
glad you're on the ball tonight... more ideas
[tex] = \int_0^{\infty}dk \int_0^{\infty}dx \\int_0^{\infty} \frac{1}{\pi} ( e^{-ikx} \tilde{J}_0(k) )[/tex]

[tex] = \int_0^{\infty}dk \int_0^{\infty}dx\frac{1}{\pi} (cos(kx) - isin(kx)) \tilde{J}_0(k) )[/tex]

and as we know the function is real, we only need keep the real part for the integral...
[tex] =\frac{1}{\pi} \int_0^{\infty}dk \int_0^{\infty} cos(kx) \tilde{J}_0(k) )[/tex]

I think that this might work, but I think the way that we should approach it is to use the fact that we know that the function and the Fourier transform are even, and then we are allowed to do the following:

[tex] \int_0^{\infty}dx J_0(x) = \frac{1}{2} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dx J_0(x) [/tex]

Then we can say:

[tex] \frac{1}{2} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dx J_0(x) = \frac{1}{2} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dx \frac{1}{2\pi} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dk e^{ikx} \tilde{J_0} [/tex]

Now, switch the order of integration, and the J-tilde doesn't depend on x, so we can write

[tex] = \frac{1}{4\pi} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dk \tilde{J_0} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dx e^{ikx} [/tex]

The second integral is the Fourier transform of 1 which is

[tex] 2\pi \delta(k) [/tex]

So integrating over k pulls out the value of J-tilde at k = 0, which is 2 (see above posts).
Then we have the desired result

[tex] \int_0^{\infty}dx J_0(x) = \frac{1}{4\pi} 2*2*\pi = 1 [/tex]

Thanks for all the help! That was an interesting problem

Hi All
I need your support for solution for this equation in attached
please I need fast reply for my ask

Attachments

• eq.....png
    eq.....png
    4.1 KB · Views: 916
any body answer me because I relley need this solution or factorial for this eq. in attahced

Hi mkk123 - welcome to PF!

This is an old closed post, no point re-opening. You should post new questions as new questions in the forum - way more people will look at it that way

Related to Integral of Bessel Function of the First Kind

1. What is the integral of Bessel Function of the First Kind?

The integral of Bessel Function of the First Kind is a mathematical function that represents the area under the curve of the Bessel function. It is denoted by ∫Jv(x)dx, where Jv(x) is the Bessel function of the first kind and v is the order of the function.

2. Why is the integral of Bessel Function of the First Kind important?

The integral of Bessel Function of the First Kind has many applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used to solve problems related to wave propagation, heat transfer, and diffusion. It also has connections to other important mathematical functions, such as the gamma and beta functions.

3. How is the integral of Bessel Function of the First Kind calculated?

The integral of Bessel Function of the First Kind can be calculated using various techniques, such as integration by parts, substitution, and contour integration. The specific method used depends on the order of the Bessel function and the limits of integration.

4. Can the integral of Bessel Function of the First Kind be evaluated analytically?

Yes, the integral of Bessel Function of the First Kind can be evaluated analytically for certain values of the order and limits of integration. However, for more complex cases, numerical methods may be needed to approximate the value of the integral.

5. Is there a specific formula for the integral of Bessel Function of the First Kind?

Yes, there is a specific formula for the integral of Bessel Function of the First Kind, known as the Watson's integral. It is a special case of the more general Marcum Q-function and can be expressed in terms of the hypergeometric function.