Integral of Acceleration with respect to time

In summary, acceleration is the second derivative of position with respect to time. By integrating this equation with respect to time and assuming constant acceleration, the position can be expressed as x(t) = 0.5at2+v0t+x0, where v0 and x0 are the initial position and velocity. The first integral is used to find v(t), and the second integral is used to find x(t). This can be easily shown by substituting the initial values for t=0.
Ross Nichols

Homework Statement

Acceleration is defined as the second derivative of position with respect to time: a = d2x/dt2. Integrate this equation with respect to time to show that position can be expressed as x(t) = 0.5at2+v0t+x0, where v0 and x0 are the initial position and velocity (i.e., the position and velocity at t=0).

Homework Equations

a = d2x/dt2

x(t) = 0.5at2+v0t+x0

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi everyone, thank you for the help. I am struggling with this one as I don't exactly know how to start. After doing some research online, it seems that

d2x/dt2 is equal to vdv/dx, which can help towards solving the problem, but I don't understand why these are equal, or what was done to get there. Thank you for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
First off, you must assume that the acceleration is constant. Using a = dv/dt, do a first integral to find v(t). Then integrate again to find x(t).

Likes Ross Nichols
kuruman said:
First off, you must assume that the acceleration is constant. Using a = dv/dt, do a first integral to find v(t). Then integrate again to find x(t).
Thank you, I think I was overcomplicating the problem in my head and you were able to pull my thoughts down to earth. Here is what I got:

v = Antiderivative(a)
v(t) = at + C
When t=0, C = v0
So: v(t) = at + v0
Next, the second integral:
x(t) = antiderivative(at + v0)
x(t) = 0.5at2 +v0t + C
When t = 0, C = x0
Resulting with: x(t) = 0.5at2 +v0t + x0

Thank you for the help.

Related to Integral of Acceleration with respect to time

1. What is the definition of Integral of Acceleration with respect to time?

The Integral of Acceleration with respect to time, also known as the integral of acceleration or the area under the acceleration-time curve, is a mathematical concept that represents the total change in velocity of an object over a specific time interval. It is denoted by ∫at dt and is calculated by finding the area under the curve of the acceleration-time graph.

2. How is the Integral of Acceleration with respect to time related to an object's motion?

The Integral of Acceleration with respect to time is directly related to an object's motion as it represents the change in velocity over time. This means that the value of the integral can tell us how fast an object is accelerating or decelerating, and in which direction, at any given point in time.

3. What is the physical unit of the Integral of Acceleration with respect to time?

The physical unit of the Integral of Acceleration with respect to time is meters per second (m/s). This is because acceleration is measured in meters per second squared (m/s²), and when integrated with respect to time, the unit of time (seconds) cancels out, leaving only meters per second.

4. How is the Integral of Acceleration with respect to time calculated?

The Integral of Acceleration with respect to time is calculated using integration, which is a mathematical operation that finds the area under a curve. In this case, the acceleration-time curve is divided into smaller sections, and the area of each section is calculated using basic geometry or calculus principles. The sum of all these areas gives the total value of the integral.

5. What is the significance of the Integral of Acceleration with respect to time in real-life scenarios?

The Integral of Acceleration with respect to time has several real-life applications, including analyzing the motion of objects, predicting future positions and velocities, and determining the forces acting on an object. It is also used in engineering and physics to design systems and structures that can withstand certain accelerations and to study the effects of acceleration on the human body.