Integral Help: Solve \int_{0}^{\pi/4} (x/(x\sin x + \cos x))^2 dx

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with integrating a specific function and two others providing different methods to solve it. The person is able to solve it using their own method and thanks the others for their suggestions.
maverick280857
Hello everyone

I need some help in performing the following integration (not HW):

[tex]\int_{0}^{\pi/4}\left(\frac{x}{x\sin x + \cos x}\right)^{2}dx[/tex]

I tried integration by parts, but it leads nowhere. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Vivek
PS--Mathematica gives the answer as [itex](4-\pi)/(4+\pi)[/itex] but is unable to perform the integration with the [itex]x^2[/itex] term in the numerator replaced by unity.

Physics news on Phys.org
To solve your integral, you can start by differentiating

[tex]-\frac{x \sec{x}}{(x \sin{x} + \cos{x})}[/tex]

this will give you

[tex]-(\frac{x \sec{x} }{x \sin{x} + \cos{x}})^{\prime} = \frac{x^2}{(x \sin{x} + \cos{x})^2} - \frac{(\sec{x} + x \sec{x} \tan{x})}{(x \sin{x} + \cos{x})}[/tex]

Now, you'll recognize the first term on the right hand side as your integrand. To evaluate the second term on the right hand side, you can first take the [tex]\sec{x}[/tex] out of the top half to get

[tex]\frac{(\sec{x} + x \sec{x} \tan{x})}{(x \sin{x} + \cos{x})} = \sec{x} \frac{1 + x \tan{x}}{(x \sin{x} + \cos{x})}[/tex]

Now, divide the bottom half by [tex]\cos{x}[/tex] to get

[tex]\frac{\sec{x}}{\cos{x}} \frac{(1 + x \tan{x})}{(x \tan{x} + 1)} = \sec^2{x}[/tex]

Now, the integral of [tex]\sec^2{x}[/tex] is

[tex]\int{\sec^2{x} dx} = \tan{x} + C [/tex]

therefore, your integral, is

[tex]\int{(\frac{x}{x \sin x + \cos x})^{2} dx} = \tan{x} - \frac{x \sec{x}}{(x \sin{x} + \cos{x})} + C[/tex]

where C is a constant of integration.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about you Matthew but most people don't have a preset function they know the should differentiate and compare their integral to. Otherwise one might just say to differentiate [tex]\frac{\sin x - x\cos x}{\cos x - x\sin x}[/tex] and see what you get.

Fair enough, but it wasn't a guess -- I got there by trying to find out what function, f(x), when divided by [tex](x \sin{x} + \cos{x})[/tex] yields the integrand in part of its derivative. (The answer of course is [tex]f(x) = -x \sec{x}[/tex]). Then it's a question of seeing if you can integrate the other part(s) of the derivative -- if you can, you have a solution. In this case, it was possible.

Last edited:
In that case, good work mate :)

No, you're right -- I should have made this clear at the start. Sorry folks.

Thanks Matthew and GibZ

Sorry for the late acknowledgment...I figured out how to do it, by a method similar to that suggested.

GibZ, if I take your function with the minus replaced by plus in the denominator, then the derivative equals the integrand. So that's an equivalent way of doing it.

Thanks again

Last edited:

Related to Integral Help: Solve \int_{0}^{\pi/4} (x/(x\sin x + \cos x))^2 dx

1. What is the purpose of Integral Help?

Integral Help is a mathematical tool that helps solve integrals, specifically by finding the value of the definite integral \int_{0}^{\pi/4} (x/(x\sin x + \cos x))^2 dx.

2. How does Integral Help work?

Integral Help uses mathematical principles and algorithms to break down the given integral into smaller, simpler parts that can be solved using known techniques. It then combines the solutions to find the final answer.

3. Can Integral Help solve all types of integrals?

No, Integral Help is designed to solve definite integrals (with bounds) that can be solved using known techniques. It may not be able to solve more complex integrals or integrals with no analytical solution.

4. Is Integral Help accurate?

Yes, Integral Help uses precise mathematical calculations to find the solution to the given integral. However, the accuracy of the solution also depends on the accuracy of the input values.

5. Can I trust the results given by Integral Help?

Yes, Integral Help is designed to give accurate results and has been tested and verified by mathematicians and scientists. However, it is always important to double check the solution and understand the steps taken to reach it.