Integral equation by successive approximation 2

In summary, the conversation discusses solving an integral equation using the method of successive approximation. The given equation is simplified and compared to the general form of such equations. Using a recursive relation, the first two approximations are derived, but a general formula cannot be found. The conversation also mentions that the equation has an exact solution, which can be approximated through successive iterations.
Suvadip
I have to solve the integral equation \(\displaystyle y(x)= -1+\int_0^x(y(t)-sin(t))dt\) by the method of successive approximation taking \(\displaystyle y_0(x)=-1\).

Sol: After simplification the given equation we have
\(\displaystyle y(x)=-2+cos(x)+\int_0^x y(t)dt \). So comparing it with \(\displaystyle y(x)=f(x)+\lambda\int_0^x k(x,t)y(t))dt\) we have

\(\displaystyle f(x)=-2+cos(x), \lambda=1, k(x,t)=1\)

Now let us use the relation
\(\displaystyle y_n(x)=f(x)+\lambda\int_0^x k(x,t)y_{n-1}(t))dt\)

Using this relation we have

\(\displaystyle y_1(x)=-2+cos(x)-x, y_2(x)=-\frac{1}{2}x^2-2x-2+cos(x)+sin(x)\)

Using these I am unable to find a general formula for \(\displaystyle y_n(x)\) from which the required solution \(\displaystyle y(x)\) can be found using \(\displaystyle y(x)=lim_{n \to \infty} y_n(x)\)

How should I proceed.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: integral equation by successive approximation

suvadip said:
I have to solve the integral equation \(\displaystyle y(x)= -1+\int_0^x(y(t)-sin(t))dt\) by the method of successive approximation taking \(\displaystyle y_0(x)=-1\).

Sol: After simplification the given equation we have
\(\displaystyle y(x)=-2+cos(x)+\int_0^x y(t)dt \). So comparing it with \(\displaystyle y(x)=f(x)+\lambda\int_0^x k(x,t)y(t))dt\) we have

\(\displaystyle f(x)=-2+cos(x), \lambda=1, k(x,t)=1\)

Now let us use the relation
\(\displaystyle y_n(x)=f(x)+\lambda\int_0^x k(x,t)y_{n-1}(t))dt\)

Using this relation we have

\(\displaystyle y_1(x)=-2+cos(x)-x, y_2(x)=-\frac{1}{2}x^2-2x-2+cos(x)+sin(x)\)

Using these I am unable to find a general formula for \(\displaystyle y_n(x)\) from which the required solution \(\displaystyle y(x)\) can be found using \(\displaystyle y(x)=lim_{n \to \infty} y_n(x)\)

How should I proceed.

Take into account that the integral equation has the 'exact' solution...

$\displaystyle y(x)= \frac{\sin x + \cos x - 3\ e^{x}}{2} = \frac{\sin x + \cos x}{2} - \frac{3}{2} - \frac{3}{2}\ x - \frac{3}{4}\ x^{2} - \frac{1}{4}\ x^{3} -... - \frac{3}{2\ n!}\ x^{n} - ...\ (1)$

... and at each iteration You obtain a better approximation to (1)...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Related to Integral equation by successive approximation 2

1. What is an integral equation?

An integral equation is a mathematical equation in which the unknown function appears under one or more integral signs. It is used to describe relationships between functions and has applications in many areas of science and engineering.

2. What is the method of successive approximation?

The method of successive approximation is a numerical method used to solve integral equations. It involves repeatedly solving a simpler equation and using the solution to improve the approximation of the original equation until a desired level of accuracy is achieved.

3. How does successive approximation work for integral equations?

Successive approximation works by breaking down a complex integral equation into simpler equations that can be solved using standard numerical methods. The solutions of these simpler equations are then used to improve the accuracy of the solution to the original equation.

4. What are the advantages of using successive approximation for integral equations?

Successive approximation allows for the solution of complex integral equations that cannot be solved analytically. It also provides a more accurate solution compared to other numerical methods, as the successive iterations improve the approximation with each step.

5. Are there any limitations to using successive approximation for integral equations?

While successive approximation is a powerful method for solving integral equations, it can be computationally intensive and may not converge to a solution in some cases. It also requires a good initial guess to start the iteration process, which can be challenging to obtain for some equations.