Ιntegral calculation : (sin(x))^4 * (cos(x))^6

In summary: I think it's a really elegant way to solve this problem. In summary, the trigonometric functions lead to and back from one another, so integration by parts is usually used. This leads to a recursion, or can just be repeated until a single function is left.
Michael_0039
Summary: Ιntegral calculation : (sin(x))^4 * (cos(x))^6

Hi all,
I tried to solve it, but I got stuck. An advice from my professor is to set: x=arctan(t)

Τhanks.
New Doc 2019-09-26 18.01.07.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Alternatively, you can get a formulas for the integral of ##\sin^n x## and ##\cos^n x## from repeated integration by parts.

They are on my list of standard integrals.

Since both trigonometric functions lead to one another and back by differentiation and integration, integration by parts is usually how they are solved. Doing it twice should reduce the power of one while keeping the other one stable. This leads to a recursion, or can just be repeated until a single function is left.

I have found the formula on Wikipedia.

Likes Michael_0039
Thanks for your answers! I tried another way using the following trigonometric transformation formulas:

New Doc 2019-09-26 19.48.48_3.jpg

Now it's in simple format:
New Doc 2019-09-26 19.48.48_1.jpg

New Doc 2019-09-26 19.48.48_2.jpg

Do you know a better - faster way to solve it ?

Thanks.

Yes, integration by parts. Still.
$$
\int \sin^n x \cos^m x \,dx = -\dfrac{\sin^{n-1}x \cos^{m+1}x}{n+m} +\dfrac{n-1}{n+m}\int \sin^{n-2} x \cos^m x \,dx
$$

Likes PeroK and Michael_0039
Michael_0039 said:
Do you know a better - faster way to solve it ?

Thanks.

I would have started with ##\sin^4 x = (1 - \cos^2 x)^2 = 1 - 2\cos^2x + cos^4x##.

Then used parts to calculate the integral of the various powers of ##\cos x##.

This is so useful and common that I keep the recursion formula in my list of standard integrals.

Likes fresh_42 and Michael_0039
fresh_42 said:
Yes, integration by parts. Still.
$$
\int \sin^n x \cos^m x \,dx = -\dfrac{\sin^{n-1}x \cos^{m+1}x}{n+m} +\dfrac{n-1}{n+m}\int \sin^{n-2} x \cos^m x \,dx
$$
A thing of beauty!

Related to Ιntegral calculation : (sin(x))^4 * (cos(x))^6

H2: What is integral calculation?

Integral calculation is a mathematical process used to find the area under a curve, also known as the integral, between two points on a graph. It is an important concept in calculus and has many applications in various scientific fields.

H2: What is the formula for calculating the integral of (sin(x))^4 * (cos(x))^6?

The formula for calculating the integral of (sin(x))^4 * (cos(x))^6 is ∫(sin(x))^4 * (cos(x))^6 dx = (1/48) * (2sin(4x) + sin(8x)) + C, where C is the constant of integration.

H2: How do you solve the integral of (sin(x))^4 * (cos(x))^6?

To solve the integral of (sin(x))^4 * (cos(x))^6, you can use integration by parts or trigonometric identities to simplify the integral. Then, apply the formula for calculating the integral to find the solution.

H2: What is the result of the integral of (sin(x))^4 * (cos(x))^6?

The result of the integral of (sin(x))^4 * (cos(x))^6 is (1/48) * (2sin(4x) + sin(8x)) + C, where C is the constant of integration.

H2: What are the applications of integral calculation?

Integral calculation has many applications in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields. It is used to find the area under a curve, calculate work and energy, determine the center of mass, and solve differential equations, among other uses.