Integral by Trig Substitution, Calc 2

In summary, the conversation discusses a definite integral problem involving a trig substitution and double angle formula. The question is whether the problem warrants an entire side of work, to which the solution involves back substitution and converting the limits. One person suggests using a trig substitution and carrying the limits, while another suggests back substituting into x and changing the limits afterwards. The conversation ends with a discussion on simplifying the problem using identities.
Darkestsolrac

Homework Statement

The definite integral of ∫(x^2 √(a^2-x^2) dx from 0 to a

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So i don't need actual help with this problem. I got the answer, (π*a^4)/16 and I verified with the back of the book. The question I have is whether this problem merits an entire side of work? None of the examples my professor has given have ever been more than a few lines of work and this took me a whole side of a paper. Am I being inefficient or should I just expect this from now on?

Oh and sorry if my notation bad or if this should be on another thread, this is my first post lol .__.

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess it amounts to how much you write. It requires a trig substitution followed by a double angle formula. Is that how you did it? Did you carry the limits along with the substitution or did you back substitute to x? That takes more steps. I used about 1/2 of one side of a standard sheet of paper for it.

I decided to back substitute into x, i thought converting the limits would be a hassle on this question. I think my issue was getting a sin4θ and not knowing any quick identities to simplify. Oh well, thanks for the response

You could have changed the integration limits after substitution. If you substituted x/a=sin(u) then the integral with respect to u goes from 0 to pi/2.

ehild

Related to Integral by Trig Substitution, Calc 2

What is "Integral by Trig Substitution"?

"Integral by Trig Substitution" is a technique used in Calculus 2 to evaluate integrals involving trigonometric functions. It involves substituting the variable in the integral with a trigonometric function in order to simplify the integral and make it solvable.

When is "Integral by Trig Substitution" used?

"Integral by Trig Substitution" is typically used when the integral involves a combination of algebraic and trigonometric functions, making it difficult to solve using traditional methods. It is also used when the integral involves a radical expression.

How do you perform "Integral by Trig Substitution"?

To perform "Integral by Trig Substitution", you must first identify the integral as one that can be solved using this technique. Then, choose the appropriate trigonometric substitution based on the form of the integral. Finally, substitute the variable with the trigonometric function and solve the integral using trigonometric identities.

What are the most common trigonometric substitutions used in "Integral by Trig Substitution"?

The most common trigonometric substitutions used in "Integral by Trig Substitution" are:

• For integrals involving √(a^2 - x^2): x = a sin(t)
  • For integrals involving √(x^2 + a^2): x = a tan(t)
  • For integrals involving √(x^2 - a^2): x = a sec(t)

What are some tips for solving integrals using "Integral by Trig Substitution"?

Some tips for solving integrals using "Integral by Trig Substitution" are:

• Always check if the integral can be simplified using algebraic manipulation before using trigonometric substitution.
  • Choose the substitution that will eliminate the radical expression or make the integral easier to solve.
  • Be familiar with trigonometric identities to simplify and solve the integral.
  • Always check your answer by differentiating it to ensure it is correct.