Integrability of f on (c,d) from (a,b): Proof

In summary, To show that f is integrable on (c,d), we can consider the functions g|_{(c,d)} and h|_{(c,d)}, which are the restrictions of g and h to the interval (c,d). These functions are still step functions and satisfy the desired inequality, proving that f is also integrable on (c,d).
Kate2010

Homework Statement

If a<c<d<b and f is integrable on (a,b), show that f is integrable on (c,d)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that f is integrable on (a,b) iff for all e>0 there exists step functions g and h such that g [tex]\leq[/tex] f1(a,b) [tex]\leq[/tex] h and I(g-h) <e
( 1(a,b) in the indicator function and I(g-h) is the integral of the step functions)

I feel like this should allow me to fairly easily show that f is also integrable on (c,d) but I just don't know how to start.

Do I need to consider partitions?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you mean [itex]I(h-g)[/itex], not [itex]I(g-h)[/itex].

To show integrability on the interval [itex](c,d)[/itex], consider the functions [itex]g|_{(c,d)}[/itex] and [itex]h|_{(c,d)}[/itex], which are the restrictions of [itex]g[/itex] and [itex]h[/itex] to the interval [itex](c,d)[/itex]. Are the restrictions still step functions? Do they satisfy the desired inequality?

Yes I did sorry.
Thanks :) so if I use those functions that take the same value on (c,d) and are 0 elsewhere I think I can see how it goes.

Related to Integrability of f on (c,d) from (a,b): Proof

1. What does it mean for a function to be integrable on a given interval?

For a function to be integrable on a given interval, it means that the area under the curve of the function can be calculated using a definite integral within that interval. In other words, the function has a finite definite integral on that interval.

2. How do you prove that a function is integrable on a given interval?

To prove that a function is integrable on a given interval, we can use the Riemann integral definition which states that if the upper and lower sums of the function approach the same value as the partition of the interval becomes finer, then the function is integrable on that interval.

3. Can a function be integrable on one interval but not on another?

Yes, it is possible for a function to be integrable on one interval but not on another. This is because the integrability of a function depends on the behavior of the function within that specific interval, and different intervals may exhibit different behaviors.

4. What is the significance of proving the integrability of a function?

Proving the integrability of a function is important because it allows us to calculate the area under the curve of the function, which has practical applications in many fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It also helps us understand the behavior of the function and its relationship with other functions.

5. Are there any special cases where a function may not be integrable on a given interval?

Yes, there are special cases where a function may not be integrable on a given interval. Two common examples are discontinuous functions and functions with infinite discontinuities (such as vertical asymptotes). In these cases, the function cannot be integrated using the Riemann integral definition and alternative methods may need to be used.