Insulating PEX Tubing for Radiant Floor Heating

• Thread starter n_delta89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Insulation
In summary,An engineering student is designing a radiant floor heating system. The inlet water is at 180 degrees Fahrenheit, and the outlet temperature will be lowered to between 160 and 170 degrees Fahrenheit. The second loop will again have a 20 degree loss and the returning water will be mixed giving a temperature of 150-160 degrees Fahrenheit. The system will be kept at this temperature until the house zone temperature is reached.The student asks if it is possible to use insulation to protect the floor from the high temperatures. The answer is that it is not necessary, but it is a good idea to protect the floor with something. The system will be kept at a temperature between 160 and 170 degrees Fahrenheit with insulation, but there will be a
n_delta89
Hello Everyone.
As an engineering student, I've been reviewing this forum many years. This is my first question.
My team and I are designing a radiant floor heating system using pex tubing.
The inlet water to pex tubing is 180 F, we assume that the outlet temperature will have a delta T loss of 20 F. This return temperature will be mixed with a mixing valve and sent back to the floor at a temperature between 160-170 F. The second loop will again have a 20 F loss and again this returning water will be mixed giving a temperature of 150-160 and thus the eventually the temperature in the tubes will be lowered down to 120-130 F and maintained there until the house zone temperature is reached.

My Question is:
Will it be viable to install insulation on top of pex tubing to protect the cork floor since the inlet water is at such a high temperature. The manufacture recommends that the cork floor be subjected to 120-130 F temperatures. Since the system uses a mixing valve we can lower the temperature down to this point, but there will be a delay(not sure exactly how long).

So, is it viable to use insulation to protect the floor. Since this seems rudimentary that we are insulating against something that we are trying to heat, I'm really not sure.

Thank You.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi, normally you don't start with a hot feed temp and then let it cool down gradually.
The thermal shock is often to much for a new floor to handle.

Best practice calls for a cold startup, so total re-circulation, with blending valve set to full floor return. Once running, you SLOWLY blend in the warm water, in increments of 5 degC and leave it for a few hours, before again increasing the temp.

If you follow this method, to the max allowable temp, then the floor will be just fine and no insulation will be needed.
Insulation will will only ever hamper the heat transfer to the floor which is waht you want to avoid!

Never take the floor to the max allowable temp. There are always tolerances on your control systems and response times to temperature readings and subsequent controls.

Good Luck!

I am not an ME. Just a Master Plumbing, Heating and Air contractor. Radiant flooring must be designed at a contact temp not to exceed 85 deg F. This is a comfort issue. Try walking barefoot across asphalt at 90 deg and tell me how comfortable it is.

My question is the installation method. Most pex manufacturers have recommendations for at least an R-19 underfloor installation and at least 2" of foam under a slab. In either case, we usually only send 100-110 deg water to the slab and only as high as 140 to under floor applications that utilize aluminum heat transfer plates. In either method, we temper the water via a mixing valve before sending it to the floor distribution manifold.

As previously stated, the thermal shock of slowly cooling the fluid is too great.

Also, 20 deg delta T is too high for radiant. Most residential and commercial systems that I have been involved with over the last 20 something years are lucky to see 10 deg deltas.

Good Luck. Sorry if my non-educated opinion is unwanted.

meplumber said:
I am not an ME. Just a Master Plumbing, Heating and Air contractor. Radiant flooring must be designed at a contact temp not to exceed 85 deg F. This is a comfort issue. Try walking barefoot across asphalt at 90 deg and tell me how comfortable it is.

My question is the installation method. Most pex manufacturers have recommendations for at least an R-19 underfloor installation and at least 2" of foam under a slab. In either case, we usually only send 100-110 deg water to the slab and only as high as 140 to under floor applications that utilize aluminum heat transfer plates. In either method, we temper the water via a mixing valve before sending it to the floor distribution manifold.

As previously stated, the thermal shock of slowly cooling the fluid is too great.

Also, 20 deg delta T is too high for radiant. Most residential and commercial systems that I have been involved with over the last 20 something years are lucky to see 10 deg deltas.

Good Luck. Sorry if my non-educated opinion is unwanted.

Of course your opinion is welcome, we want to hear what works, not what people (engineers, myself included) think will work.

Thank you MRFMEngineer.

My son is an aspiring engineer and physics nut. He visits this site frequently.

I wanted to comment on this thread and one other, but was unsure of the boards rules as they apply to us "unlearned" ones.

Related to Insulating PEX Tubing for Radiant Floor Heating

What is PEX tubing?

PEX tubing is a type of flexible plastic tubing used for plumbing and heating applications. It is made from cross-linked polyethylene and is known for its durability, flexibility, and resistance to corrosion.

What is radiant floor heating?

Radiant floor heating is a method of heating a space by installing a series of tubes or electric heating elements under the floor. The heat radiates up through the floor, providing a comfortable and efficient way to warm a room.

Why is insulating PEX tubing important for radiant floor heating?

Insulating PEX tubing is important for radiant floor heating because it helps to prevent heat loss and maintain the desired temperature in the room. Without insulation, the heat from the tubing can escape into the subfloor, reducing the efficiency of the system.

What are the benefits of using PEX tubing for radiant floor heating?

There are several benefits to using PEX tubing for radiant floor heating, including its flexibility, durability, and resistance to corrosion. PEX tubing is also easy to install and can be used in a variety of applications, making it a popular choice for radiant floor heating systems.

How do I properly insulate PEX tubing for radiant floor heating?

The proper method for insulating PEX tubing for radiant floor heating will depend on the specific system and installation. However, in general, insulation should be placed over the tubing and secured in place with tape or wire ties. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and consult with a professional if needed.