Instantaneous Velocity from Strobe Diagram

In summary, this student is asking about whether or not it is possible to use the same instant for both the instantaneous and average velocity, and whether or not the acceleration needs to be uniform for this to be possible. He is also confused about the differentiating between instantaneous and average velocity.
toboldlygo
Hi guys! My first post here. I've been frequenting Physics Forums and have found a wealth of information, and I'm hoping I can get some specific help about this concept. Thanks!

Homework Statement

"Cart A and B move along a horizontal track. The top-view strobe diagram below shows the locations of the carts and instants 1-5, separated by equal time intervals."

Cart A: o...o...o...o...o
Cart B: o.o..o...o...o

(The periods represent 1cm of distance, and Cart B's position at Instant 1 is 5cm ahead of Cart A. If you want a better depiction than my horrible attempt using o's and periods, http://www.chegg.com/homework-help/questions-and-answers/carts-b-move-along-horizontal-track-strobe-light-flash-diagram-shows-locations-carts-insta-q3643158 a link to the graphic)

"Is there any instant at which cart A and cart B have the same instantaneous velocity? If so, identify the instant(s) and explain. If not, explain why not."

Homework Equations

I think this is more of a conceptual problem, so I don't think there are any relevant equations. However, [tex] v= v_0 + at [/tex] might be relevant.

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I think the answer is that there's no way of determining when the instantaneous velocity is the same (the average velocity is the same for both from instance 4-5 because there is a 4cm difference between locations of cart A and B, and [tex] v_a =∆x/∆t[/tex], so they have the same average velocity) because instantaneous velocity is just dx/dt and I can't think of a way to find that w/o a function or a graph or something. I tried using [tex] v= v_0 + at [/tex] (for cart A: v_0=0, a=0, and t=5; for cart B: v_0=0, a=1, t=5), but I don't know if that will give me the instant(s) where the instantaneous velocity is the same.

This is probably a really basic question and I have a feeling the answer's pretty obvious, but I'm not sure. If anyone could help me out, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the intermediate value theorem?

If not: Clearly A starts with a higher velocity. If they never have the same velocity, A always has to have a higher velocity. Is that compatible with observations?

Likes toboldlygo
Hello toboldlygo,

Welcome to Physics Forums! :smile:

toboldlygo said:
I think this is more of a conceptual problem,
No, this is not a conceptual problem. There is some mathematics involved.

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I think the answer is that there's no way of determining when the instantaneous velocity is the same (the average velocity is the same for both from instance 4-5 because there is a 4cm difference between locations of cart A and B, and [tex] v_a =∆x/∆t[/tex], so they have the same average velocity) because instantaneous velocity is just dx/dt and I can't think of a way to find that w/o a function or a graph or something. I tried using [tex] v= v_0 + at [/tex] (for cart A: v_0=0, a=0, and t=5; for cart B: v_0=0, a=1, t=5), but I don't know if that will give me the instant(s) where the instantaneous velocity is the same.

This is probably a really basic question and I have a feeling the answer's pretty obvious, but I'm not sure. If anyone could help me out, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Perhaps try starting with the
[itex] x = x_0 + v_0 t + \frac{1}{2}at^2 [/itex]
uniform acceleration formula to solve for [itex] v_0 [/itex] and [itex] a [/itex]. Use two different data points to form two equations. Check your results with additional points (not only to double check your result, but also to make sure the acceleration is actually uniform).

Then use that result to find the instantaneous velocity (Hint: you've already hinted at how to do that in your original post.) :wink:

[Edit: corrected some typos.]

Likes toboldlygo
@mfb: I wasn't actually familiar with that theorem; I think that'll definitely come in handy. However, A and B in this case both have the same velocity at instance 4-5, so will it still apply in this scenario?

EDIT: just saw collinsmark's post. Thank you so much! That makes a lot of sense.

toboldlygo said:
However, A and B in this case both have the same velocity at instance 4-5
If they have, then you are done, because that's exactly what you are supposed to find out.

We don't know if the acceleration is uniform (although it looks like that) and we don't need that assumption.

Likes toboldlygo
mfb said:
If they have, then you are done, because that's exactly what you are supposed to find out.

We don't know if the acceleration is uniform (although it looks like that) and we don't need that assumption.

I already used instant 4-5 when I was asked whether there were any instances when the average velocity was the same. Is it plausible to use the same instant for both instantaneous and average velocity? Isn't instantaneous velocity only equivalent to average velocity when there is no acceleration? I guess I'm still a little confused when differentiating between instantaneous and average velocities. Thanks for helping me out, though!

[4-5] is not a single point in time, it is an interval.

Simple argument: If A is always faster than B (for every point in time), then A will move more than B in [4-5].
If A is faster than B at some point and slower than B at some other point, then they have to have the same instantaneous velocity at some point.

Likes toboldlygo
toboldlygo said:
I already used instant 4-5 when I was asked whether there were any instances when the average velocity was the same. Is it plausible to use the same instant for both instantaneous and average velocity? Isn't instantaneous velocity only equivalent to average velocity when there is no acceleration? I guess I'm still a little confused when differentiating between instantaneous and average velocities. Thanks for helping me out, though!

Just to elaborate further on what mfb said, your answer is fine regarding the average velocity interval.

But you still have a bit more work to do to find the instantaneous velocity. The instantaneous velocity does not occur over an interval, rather it occurs at a single instant in time. The problem (part E) is asking you to find that particular instant in time. (If there is such an instant. And if there is, at least give a general indication of where that instant is relative to the labeled instances.)

Likes toboldlygo
Thanks so much for helping me out, guys. I definitely understand this concept better. Again, I really appreciate it!

Likes collinsmark

Related to Instantaneous Velocity from Strobe Diagram

1. How is instantaneous velocity calculated from a strobe diagram?

Instantaneous velocity can be calculated by dividing the distance between two consecutive positions on the strobe diagram by the time interval between those positions.

2. What is the purpose of using a strobe diagram to determine instantaneous velocity?

A strobe diagram allows for precise measurements of an object's position at different points in time, making it easier to calculate instantaneous velocity compared to using average velocity over a longer time interval.

3. Can a strobe diagram be used for objects with non-uniform motion?

Yes, a strobe diagram can be used for objects with non-uniform motion. However, it may require more frequent strobe intervals to accurately capture the object's changing position.

4. How can the accuracy of the calculated instantaneous velocity from a strobe diagram be improved?

The accuracy of the calculated instantaneous velocity from a strobe diagram can be improved by using a high-speed strobe light and taking more frequent measurements to reduce the time interval between positions.

5. Are there any limitations to using a strobe diagram to determine instantaneous velocity?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a strobe diagram. It may not be as accurate for objects with very high velocities or for objects that change direction frequently. Additionally, any errors in measuring the distance or time interval on the strobe diagram can affect the accuracy of the calculated instantaneous velocity.