Instantaneous rotation centers

• Thread starter Hamal_Arietis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rotation
In summary: I was getting a little lost in the details.In summary, the conservation of angular momentum theorem is not always right for instantaneous center rotation. If all total moments of force are zero, then the angular momentum will not change, but if the object moves, the instantanerious center of rotation always changes.
Hamal_Arietis

Homework Statement

Is the conservation of angular momentum theorem right for instantaneous center rotation?
That: If all total momen of force is zero. The angular momentum will not change
If right, prove that.

Homework Equations

All equations of rotational motion

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it 's wrong because instantaneous center rotation always changes when object moves.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hamal_Arietis said:

Homework Statement

Is the conservation of angular momentum theorem right for instantaneous center rotation?
That: If all total momen of force is zero. The angular momentum will not change
If right, prove that.

Homework Equations

All equations of rotational motion

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it 's wrong because instantaneous center rotation always changes when object moves.
The safe points to use as axes for conservation of angular momentum are:
  • Any point fixed in your inertial frame
  • The mass centre of the rigid body
  • The instantaneous centre of rotation of the rigid body
Interestingly, there are more. It can be shown that the set of points fixed relative to the body which also work form a circle passing through the mass centre and the instantaneous centre of rotation. However, that circle shifts over time.
Yes, the instantaneous centre of rotation might itself move. In that case, you can only use it for conservation over infinitesimal times.

Likes Hamal_Arietis
If the time is enough large, that 's right? Can you prove that by dynamical equations? I have to use this to solve another hard problem.
Two mass M are connected by spring has a stiffness k. Each body just moves on one-way. Initially, they are at ##(0,0)## and ##(0;y_0)## and the spring isn't deformed. So ##y_0=l_0## with ##l_0## is natural length of spring. Giving for body at (0;0) a velocity v. Find the equation of motion of system.
3219750477_1580290480_574_574.jpg

Last edited:
Hamal_Arietis said:
If the time is enough large, that 's right?
Not sure what that was in response to. For moments about instantaneous centre of rotation I said "infinitesimal", i.e. arbitrarily small.
Anyway, for this question, conservation of angular momentum would not apply. Neither would linear momentum. The masses are constrained each to move in only one dimension, so there must be external forces.

External forces have directions to the instantanerious center rotation. So angular momentum with instantanerious center rotation will not change. If the problem was written in started is right.

Hamal_Arietis said:
External forces have directions to the instantanerious center rotation. So angular momentum with instantanerious center rotation will not change. If the problem was written in started is right.
It is true that you find where the external forces intersect, but, as you say, that point keeps moving, and we are not dealing with an instantaneous impulse here, so it won't help.
I don't understand why you want to bother with the instantaneous centre of rotation in this problem. How about a different conservation law?

Likes Hamal_Arietis
I think it very hard. Because all condition of problem suggests our to use started:
- The force of spring is the force inside.
- External forces have directions to the instantanerious center rotation.

Hamal_Arietis said:
I think it very hard. Because all condition of problem suggests our to use started:
- The force of spring is the force inside.
- External forces have directions to the instantanerious center rotation.
You know the directions of the external forces, so what equations can you write for the perpendicular direction for each mass?

Oh I realize this problem. Thanks

Related to Instantaneous rotation centers

1. What is an instantaneous rotation center?

An instantaneous rotation center is a point in space that is temporarily fixed as an object rotates around it. It is the point where all points on the rotating object appear to be moving in a circular path.

2. How is the instantaneous rotation center determined?

The instantaneous rotation center is determined by finding the intersection point of two perpendicular lines, one drawn through any point on the object and the other drawn through the corresponding point on the object's trajectory.

3. Can the instantaneous rotation center change?

Yes, the instantaneous rotation center can change as the object rotates and its position, orientation, or speed changes. It is always located at the point where the object's velocity vector is perpendicular to its position vector.

4. What is the significance of the instantaneous rotation center?

The instantaneous rotation center is important in understanding the motion of rotating objects. It helps to determine the direction of motion and the forces acting on the object at any given instant in time.

5. Is the instantaneous rotation center the same as the center of mass?

No, the instantaneous rotation center and the center of mass are not the same. The center of mass is the point where the object's mass is evenly distributed, while the instantaneous rotation center is a point in space that is determined by the object's motion.