Instantaneous power calculation between equal time increments.

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of determining instantaneous power from cumulative KWh values recorded at 5 minute intervals. The formula P(t) = VI cos(ωt) cos(ωt −θ ) is mentioned, but it is concluded that due to the lack of information on voltage and current over time, it is not possible to accurately find instantaneous power. Instead, the best approach would be to calculate the average power over the 5 minute intervals.
Ch3ls3aFC

Homework Statement

If given cumulative (Adding up every increment to the next) KWh values at an interval of 5 mins each. is it possible to determine instantaneous power from it?

Homework Equations

P=IV
P(t) = VI cos(ωt) cos(ωt −θ )

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, because the question is more about stating a method than actually calculating something. I have thought about it. I think the instantaneous power should just be the difference of Power at time1 and Power at time 2, in this case. Now, of course, if i actually had a circuit, i could go around doing analysis and coming up with Voltage in terms of time and Current in terms of time. That way i can easily come up with a function of instantaneous power with a variable of time in it.
But what this stats is more like, if you are given a value of power for every 5 minutes then what the instantaneous power should be using only the data given? I can't think of much except for taking the value of power at time 2 and subtracting it from value of power at time 1. And that should give me the power that was recorded between those 2 instances.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, it is not possible to find an instantaneous power. The best you can do is the average over 5 minutes because that is all the information you have.

Related to Instantaneous power calculation between equal time increments.

What is instantaneous power calculation?

Instantaneous power calculation is the process of determining the rate at which energy is transferred or converted in a system at a specific moment in time. It involves measuring the amount of energy being used or produced in a given system over a very small time period.

How is instantaneous power calculated?

Instantaneous power is calculated by dividing the change in energy by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula P = ΔE/Δt, where P is power, ΔE is the change in energy, and Δt is the change in time.

Why is instantaneous power important?

Instantaneous power is important because it allows us to understand and analyze the energy usage or production in a system at a specific moment in time. This information is essential for making improvements and optimizing the efficiency of systems.

What are the units of measurement for instantaneous power?

The units of measurement for instantaneous power are watts (W). This is a measure of energy transfer or conversion per unit of time, and is equivalent to one joule per second.

What factors can affect instantaneous power calculation?

The factors that can affect instantaneous power calculation include the type and efficiency of the system, the amount of energy being used or produced, and any external influences or variables that may impact the system. Additionally, the accuracy and precision of the measurement tools and techniques used can also affect the calculation.