Instances where Logarithmic Differentiation doesn't work?

In summary, logarithmic differentiation is a useful technique for taking the derivative of complex functions. However, it can also be used for simpler equations and tends to work well in most cases. There are instances where it may not be the most efficient method, but it is still a valuable tool to have in your mathematical toolbox.
in the rye
Hey,

In my class we just learned about logarithmic differentiation. I can see this being useful when taking the derivative of a complex function since it could be messy. But, I tried it on simpler equations as well. Everything I tried it on it seemed to work. Are there ever instances that it does not work?

To make sure we are using the same definition of logarithmic differentiation, I simply mean taking the log of both sides of an equation before taking its derivative. So where:

y = x2
ln y = ln (x2)
1 / y * y' = 1 / x2 * 2x
y' = 2y / x
y' = 2x

Certainly just taking the derivative of this is easier, but it's just an example.

Physics news on Phys.org
in the rye said:
Hey,

In my class we just learned about logarithmic differentiation. I can see this being useful when taking the derivative of a complex function since it could be messy. But, I tried it on simpler equations as well. Everything I tried it on it seemed to work. Are there ever instances that it does not work?
To the best of my knowledge, no.
in the rye said:
To make sure we are using the same definition of logarithmic differentiation, I simply mean taking the log of both sides of an equation before taking its derivative. So where:

y = x2
ln y = ln (x2)
1 / y * y' = 1 / x2 * 2x
y' = 2y / x
y' = 2x

Certainly just taking the derivative of this is easier, but it's just an example.
Your example is a very simple one, for which log differentiation is a lot more work than it would be by simpler means.

Here are some examples where log differentiation would be very useful.
1. ##y = (3x^2 + 5)^{1/x}##
2. ##y = (\sin x)^{x^3}##
(from https://www.math.ucdavis.edu/~kouba/CalcOneDIRECTORY/logdiffdirectory/LogDiff.html)

Related to Instances where Logarithmic Differentiation doesn't work?

1. What is logarithmic differentiation?

Logarithmic differentiation is a method used to differentiate functions that involve both exponential and non-exponential terms. It involves taking the logarithm of both sides of an equation and then differentiating the resulting equation using the rules of logarithms and differentiation.

2. When does logarithmic differentiation not work?

Logarithmic differentiation is not effective when the function being differentiated contains logarithmic terms or when the function is not defined for negative values. It also may not work if the function is too complex or has multiple terms that are difficult to simplify.

3. Can logarithmic differentiation be used for all functions?

No, logarithmic differentiation is not suitable for all functions. It is most effective for functions that involve both exponential and non-exponential terms. If a function does not contain these types of terms, other methods of differentiation may be more appropriate.

4. How can I tell if logarithmic differentiation will work for a specific function?

You can determine if logarithmic differentiation will be effective for a specific function by examining the terms in the function. If there are both exponential and non-exponential terms, logarithmic differentiation may be a good method to use. However, if the function contains only one type of term, other methods may be more appropriate.

5. Are there any limitations to using logarithmic differentiation?

Yes, there are limitations to using logarithmic differentiation. As mentioned earlier, it may not work for functions that contain logarithmic terms or are undefined for negative values. It also may not be the most efficient method for functions that are very complex or have multiple terms that are difficult to simplify. In these cases, other methods of differentiation may be more suitable.