Installing 2X24 Character LCD in Water-tight Box

• Thread starter j777
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Box Lcd
In summary, the individual is looking for a solution to mount a 2X24 character LCD inside an IP67 enclosure while maintaining visibility. They have found a potential solution using an enclosure with a clear plastic lid, but are wondering if there is a better way to do this. They are also asking if there are companies that make enclosures with built-in LCD windows or other solutions to prevent condensation inside the case. The expert suggests using LCD panels with IP67 glass and a gasket for sealing, and provides an example of such a product.
j777
Hello,

I need to mount a 2X24 character LCD inside of an IP67 enclosure. The only way I've been able to find to maintain IP67 and still be able to view the LCD is to use an enclosure with a clear plastic lid. While this is a somewhat adequate solution I wonder if there is a better way of doing this. Is there a company that makes enclosures (IP67/NEMA 4X) with an LCD window built in or some other solution to solve this problem?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Lots of companies make LCD panels where the glass is IP67 and they seal with a gasket around the front. The problem with using a window is getting condensation inside the case under the window - if it IP67 it is likely to be used in bad conditions.

As an example we use these http://www.cantrak-int.com/ in a lot of equipement, there are an entire 16bit micro + display in a IP67 enclosure.

for reaching out with your question about installing a 2X24 character LCD in a water-tight box. It's great that you are looking for a solution that maintains the IP67 rating while also allowing for visibility of the LCD.

One option you may want to consider is using a waterproof LCD enclosure, such as those offered by companies like Polycase or Phoenix Mecano. These enclosures are designed specifically for outdoor or harsh environments and have built-in LCD windows to allow for easy viewing. They also come in various sizes and ratings, so you can find one that fits your specific needs.

Another option is to use a GORE® vent, which is a small, breathable membrane that can be installed in the enclosure to equalize pressure and prevent moisture build-up. This can help maintain the IP67 rating while still allowing for visibility of the LCD.

I hope these suggestions are helpful and provide a better solution for your project. Best of luck with your installation!

Related to Installing 2X24 Character LCD in Water-tight Box

1. How do I choose the right water-tight box for my 2X24 character LCD?

The first step in choosing a water-tight box for your LCD is to determine the size and dimensions of your LCD. This will help you select a box that is the appropriate size to fit your LCD. You should also consider the material and level of protection the box offers, as well as any additional features such as locking mechanisms or mounting options.

2. What tools do I need to install the LCD in the water-tight box?

You will need a screwdriver, wire cutters/strippers, and possibly a drill depending on the type of box you choose. It may also be helpful to have a ruler or measuring tape to ensure accurate placement of the LCD in the box.

3. How do I ensure a water-tight seal for the LCD in the box?

To ensure a water-tight seal, you should use a waterproof sealant or gasket between the LCD and the box. This will prevent any water from entering the box and damaging the LCD. You should also make sure that all screws are tightened securely to keep the box sealed.

4. Can I still access the LCD once it is installed in the water-tight box?

Yes, most water-tight boxes have a clear window or cover that allows you to view and access the LCD without opening the box. If your box does not have this feature, you may need to open the box to access the LCD, but make sure to do so in a dry environment and reseal the box properly afterwards.

5. What precautions should I take when installing the LCD in a water-tight box?

When installing the LCD in a water-tight box, it is important to ensure that all connections are secure and waterproof. You should also be careful not to damage the LCD screen or any of its components during the installation process. Additionally, make sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions and test the box for water-tightness before permanently sealing it.