Insert PNG Files in Physics Forum: Guide

• Thread starter Buzz Bloom
  • Start date
In summary, to insert a PNG file into a forum message, you can either use the image bbcode or upload the image as an attachment. However, if the equation is written in LaTeX, you can simply copy the code and paste it into the message using [tex] tags for standalone equations or $ or # tags for inline expressions.
Buzz Bloom
Gold Member
I frequently want to discuss in a Physics Forum an equation in a Wikipedia article. I can acquire an equation there as a PNG file. Is there a way I can insert a PNG file into a forum message?

Physics news on Phys.org
Either use the image bbcode (there is a button in the editor) using the image URL or download the image and upload it as an attachment and then you can insert it into the message.

Buzz Bloom said:
I frequently want to discuss in a Physics Forum an equation in a Wikipedia article. I can acquire an equation there as a PNG file. Is there a way I can insert a PNG file into a forum message?
As Wikipedia uses LaTeX like our website does, there's a better way.
  1. Start to edit the Wikipedia page, look for the equation which will be coded in between "math" tags, e.g.
    Code:
    <math>E = \frac{mc^2}{\sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2}}</math>
  2. Copy the code between the tags (excluding the tags) and paste it into your message on this website.
  3. Add "tex" tags e.g.
    Code:
    [ tex ]E = \frac{mc^2}{\sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2}}[ /tex ]
    but without the spaces in the square brackets
  4. Use the "Preview..." button to check that it works: [tex]E = \frac{mc^2}{\sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2}}[/tex]
  5. Don't forget to close the Wikipedia page without saving.

Last edited:
Many thanks to both Greg Bernhardt and DrGreg.

Instead of using [ tex ] or [ itex ] tags (without the extra spaces) as DrGreg mentioned, I prefer to use $ or # tags, as there is less typing to do.

So instead of this example of DrGreg's:
Code:
[ tex ]E = \frac{mc^2}{\sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2}}[ /tex ]

I would do this:
Code:
$ $ E = \frac{mc^2}{\sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2}} $ $
Again, without the extra spaces between each pair of $ characters.

To render inline, as opposed to standalone expressions or equations, a pair of # characters at front an back is equivalent to the [ itex ] and [ /itex ] tags.
Code:
# # E = \frac{mc^2}{\sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2}} # #

Related to Insert PNG Files in Physics Forum: Guide

1. What is a PNG file?

A PNG (Portable Network Graphics) file is a type of image file that uses lossless compression, meaning that it does not lose any quality when it is saved or opened. It is commonly used for images with transparent backgrounds, such as logos or icons.

2. How do I insert a PNG file into a post on the physics forum?

To insert a PNG file into a post on the physics forum, first click on the “Insert Image” button in the toolbar. Then, click on the “Choose File” button and select the PNG file from your computer. Finally, click “Insert Image” and the file will be added to your post.

3. Can I resize a PNG file before inserting it into a post?

Yes, you can resize a PNG file before inserting it into a post on the physics forum. After selecting the file, you will have the option to adjust the size of the image before inserting it into your post.

4. How do I save a PNG file from the physics forum?

To save a PNG file from the physics forum, simply right-click on the image and select “Save Image As” from the drop-down menu. Choose a location on your computer to save the file and click “Save”.

5. Is there a limit to the number of PNG files I can insert in a post?

There is no specific limit to the number of PNG files you can insert in a post on the physics forum, but it is recommended to use images in moderation to keep the post visually appealing and easy to read. Additionally, large files may take longer to load and can affect the overall performance of the forum.