Input/Output Voltage Class C RF Amp

In summary, the discussion was about an adult learner trying to understand a Class C RF power amplifier circuit. They were confused about how the output voltage across the collector of one transistor could be more than twice the DC supply voltage. Other members offered explanations, including the possibility of a voltage spike caused by a disconnected antenna and the use of a zener diode to protect the transistor. The purpose of RFC1 as a choke to isolate the DC rail from RF voltage was also mentioned.
shawisco
Hi all:

I am a new member here with my first post. I am an adult learner trying to self-teach RF electronics. I have been working through David Rutledge's Electronics of Radio, while building the NorCal 40A transceiver.
I am getting caught up on understanding the Class C RF power amplifier circuit.

I don't understand how the output voltage across the collector of Q7 can be more than twice the DC supply voltage (12VDC). I assume that the reactive components--such as RFC1--are storing energy?

Any help would be appreciated. I have included the schematic below.

upload_2015-12-16_11-6-14.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
shawisco said:
I don't understand how the output voltage across the collector of Q7 can be more than twice the DC supply voltage (12VDC). I assume that the reactive components--such as RFC1--are storing energy?

hi there and welcome to PF
I cannot answer this completely
1) interesting circuit, its pretty standard except for the zener diode across the transistor ... never seen that before
2) consider that the 43V rating of the zener is just the voltage rating of the zener for when it will go into conduction and NOT the voltage that is
present across the transistor all the time and most likely none of the time
3) on the collector of the transistor, there is going to be an RF voltage as well as the DC supply voltage ... am not good enough to explain the complexities there
4) RFC1 is a choke, whose sole purpose is to isolate the DC rail from the RF voltage at the transistor collector ... We DO NOT want RF getting onto the DC rail, it will cause all sorts of bad things to happen

Dave

Some comments:
  • The purpose of D7 is to protect the power supply
  • When S1 breaks the connection to the power supply, it causes a voltage spike across RFC1. The Zener is there to protect Q7 when that happens.
  • If the antenna is disconnected, the load on Q7 changes drastically. The Zener may help protecting Q7 in that case.

A Class C amplifier is working somewhat like a switch. When a current flowing in an inductor is broken, a high voltage can be generated equal to -L dI/dt. This is where the voltage comes from, and you are correct that it comes from energy stored in the tank circuit. The Zener is used to limit the RF voltage across the transistor to a safe value. Dangerous voltage could arise if the load resistance is accidentally omitted or the load is severely mismatched.

Related to Input/Output Voltage Class C RF Amp

1. What is an Input/Output Voltage Class C RF Amp?

An Input/Output Voltage Class C RF Amp is a type of amplifier used in radio frequency (RF) circuits. It is designed to amplify signals with a specific range of input and output voltages, typically in the range of a few volts to tens of volts.

2. How does an Input/Output Voltage Class C RF Amp work?

An Input/Output Voltage Class C RF Amp works by using a transistor or transistors to amplify the input signal. The transistor(s) are biased to operate in Class C mode, which means they are turned on for a fraction of the input cycle, resulting in high efficiency and low power consumption.

3. What are the benefits of using an Input/Output Voltage Class C RF Amp?

One of the main benefits of using an Input/Output Voltage Class C RF Amp is its high efficiency, which is important in applications where power consumption needs to be minimized. It also has a wide range of operating voltages, making it versatile for use in different circuits.

4. What are some common applications for an Input/Output Voltage Class C RF Amp?

Input/Output Voltage Class C RF Amps are commonly used in radio frequency circuits for applications such as wireless communication, radar systems, and radio transmitters. They are also used in audio amplifiers and power supplies.

5. How do I choose the right Input/Output Voltage Class C RF Amp for my circuit?

To choose the right Input/Output Voltage Class C RF Amp, you should consider the required input and output voltages, the frequency range of your circuit, and the power requirements. It is also important to select an amplifier with the appropriate gain and noise figure for your specific application.