Input/Output Impedance Clipping Voltages

• Thread starter mcleung
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impedance
In summary: I'm not sure I understand what you are asking. Can you please clarify? Why can't you set the 33210A amplitude and offset? It is able to output a 50 Ohm signal?
mcleung
Hey guys,

I’m trying to do a simple experiment where both my DAQ (Data AcQuisition) card and my microcontroller trigger off the same signal.
The trigger source is from the Agilent 33210A which is a 50 Ohm impedance output.
From that source, I have connected it to both the AlazarTech DAQ card (50 Ohm Impedance) and my microcontroller (9S12E128) (Set to High impedance)
I’ve noticed that my microcontroller is not triggering properly. When I disconnect the DAQ card, it works fine.

I am suspecting that the low impedance on the DAQ card is clipping off the high voltages.
I’m wondering if you guys have any ideas on how to fix this. I wouldn’t want (But if needed then I will) to introduce opamps or other circuits because it will create delays in the trigger signal.

Engineering news on Phys.org
mcleung said:
Hey guys,

I’m trying to do a simple experiment where both my DAQ (Data AcQuisition) card and my microcontroller trigger off the same signal.
The trigger source is from the Agilent 33210A which is a 50 Ohm impedance output.
From that source, I have connected it to both the AlazarTech DAQ card (50 Ohm Impedance) and my microcontroller (9S12E128) (Set to High impedance)
I’ve noticed that my microcontroller is not triggering properly. When I disconnect the DAQ card, it works fine.

I am suspecting that the low impedance on the DAQ card is clipping off the high voltages.
I’m wondering if you guys have any ideas on how to fix this. I wouldn’t want (But if needed then I will) to introduce opamps or other circuits because it will create delays in the trigger signal.

Can you look at the waveforms with an oscilloscope?

berkeman said:
Can you look at the waveforms with an oscilloscope?

Yes I have. I sent my oscilloscope to high impedance, and I notice that when I plug the trigger line into my DAQ card the trigger signal gets reduced SIGNIFICATLY.

It drops down from about 4.11 V (peak to peak) to 2.77 V.

mcleung said:
Yes I have. I sent my oscilloscope to high impedance, and I notice that when I plug the trigger line into my DAQ card the trigger signal gets reduced SIGNIFICATLY.

It drops down from about 4.11 V (peak to peak) to 2.77 V.

Yes, that is how things work with a 50 Ohm source driving a 50 Ohm load. The open circuit voltage of the voltage source is reduced to half when it is terminated into a matching impedance.

You would need to find out what the Vih spec is for the logic you are driving, and set the signal source to > 2x that voltage.

berkeman said:
You would need to find out what the Vih spec is for the logic you are driving, and set the signal source to > 2x that voltage.

What is "vih"? I suppose you are referring to the logical HIGH and logical LOW values that the micro controller uses?

Also, I can't change the signal source, the Agilent function generator is fixed. (can't change the impedance, nor the voltage)
I can't change the impedance of the DAQ card either.

berkeman said:
Yes, that is how things work with a 50 Ohm source driving a 50 Ohm load. The open circuit voltage of the voltage source is reduced to half when it is terminated into a matching impedance.

Are you living in Newark Ca? I see from your HAM radio stuff below by neither link work. I live in Sunnyvale.

Back to the question, Depend of the speed of the trigger signal, if the rate is slow, maybe is safer to remove the 50ohm termination from the DAQ so the signal don't get loaded down. I just afraid by accident the DAQ is removed and the Microcontroller will be cooked by to over voltage.

mcleung said:
What is "vih"? I suppose you are referring to the logical HIGH and logical LOW values that the micro controller uses?

Also, I can't change the signal source, the Agilent function generator is fixed. (can't change the impedance, nor the voltage)

We wrote at the same time. Look at the Agil for another output to drive the controller separately. Then you can safely raise the voltage output.

yungman said:
Are you living in Newark Ca?

[hijack] Yep! PM me if you want more info. [/hijack]

I'm using a 500MHz aquisition rate on my DAQ.

berkeman, I found this on my microcontroler

V_CC 5.0
V_OH 4.2
V_IH 3.25
V_IL 1.75
V_OL 0.5
Gnd 0

**V_OH 4.2, not 5.2

Last edited:
mcleung said:
Yes

Why can't you set the 33210A amplitude and offset? It is able to put out 10Vpp into 50 Ohms:

http://www.home.agilent.com/agilent...y=1000032746:epsg:dow&cname=AGILENT_EDITORIAL

mcleung said:
I'm using a 500MHz aquisition rate on my DAQ.

berkeman, I found this on my microcontroler

V_CC 5.0
V_OH 5.2
V_IH 3.25
V_IL 1.75
V_OL 0.5
Gnd 0

Yeah, setting the 33210A to 2.77Vpp (with offset voltage half of that) will not meet those CMOS logic levels.

If you're stuck with the 33210A setting for some reason, you could use a high speed comparator as the buffer between the signal generator and your logic input...

berkeman said:
Why can't you set the 33210A amplitude and offset? It is able to put out 10Vpp into 50 Ohms:

http://www.home.agilent.com/agilent...y=1000032746:epsg:dow&cname=AGILENT_EDITORIAL

You are looking at the output. Yes the output can go up to 10v p-p. I'm using the sync output as the output is used to output the function I want the Acquisition card to sync to.

yungman said:
We wrote at the same time. Look at the Agil for another output to drive the controller separately. Then you can safely raise the voltage output.
The Agilant fn Generator has:
BNC Output (Used)
BNC Sync (Trigger out-What I am having difficulties with)
BNC Trigger In (Also used)
BNC Modulation In - for other purposes.

mcleung said:
You are looking at the output. Yes the output can go up to 10v p-p. I'm using the sync output as the output is used to output the function I want the Acquisition card to sync to.

The Agilant fn Generator has:
BNC Output (Used)
BNC Sync (Trigger out-What I am having difficulties with)
BNC Trigger In (Also used)
BNC Modulation In - for other purposes.

The Trigger Output is not meant to drive a 50 Ohm load. It is meant to drive logic inputs. The datasheet that I linked to lists it as having a "5V Zero-Going Pulse".

berkeman said:
The Trigger Output is not meant to drive a 50 Ohm load. It is meant to drive logic inputs. The datasheet that I linked to lists it as having a "5V Zero-Going Pulse".

Trigger output is used to trigger other systems. I'm using it to trigger my DAQ card (Below) and the microcontroler.

TRIG IN (External Trigger) Input
Input impedance 50 Ω
Coupling DC only
Bandwidth (-3dB) DC - 250 MHz
Input range ±3 V
DC accuracy ±10% of full scale input
Input protection ±8V (DC + peak AC without external
attenuation)
http://www.alazartech.com/products/ATS9350_v_1_1b.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
mcleung said:
Trigger output is used to trigger other systems. I'm using it to trigger my DAQ card (Below) and the microcontroler.

TRIG IN (External Trigger) Input
Input impedance 50 Ω
Coupling DC only
Bandwidth (-3dB) DC - 250 MHz
Input range ±3 V
DC accuracy ±10% of full scale input
Input protection ±8V (DC + peak AC without external
attenuation)
http://www.alazartech.com/products/ATS9350_v_1_1b.pdf

If the trigger input is always 50 Ohms and not configurable, then you will need a beefy buffer to drive it. You could use a 74AC244-type gate to do it (or a single gate version).

Last edited by a moderator:
berkeman said:
If the trigger input is always 50 Ohms and not configurable, then you will need a beefy buffer to drive it. You could use a 74AC244-type gate to do it (or a single gate version).

Ok thanks for your help!

This is what I feared is that I'd require a amp. Hopefully I can find one with response times in the 500+GHz range also or else I'll need to decrease my acquisition frequency.

mcleung said:
Ok thanks for your help!

This is what I feared is that I'd require a amp. Hopefully I can find one with response times in the 500+GHz range also or else I'll need to decrease my acquisition frequency.

In the which-what frequency range?!

Related to Input/Output Impedance Clipping Voltages

What is input/output impedance?

Input/output impedance refers to the electrical resistance or impedance that a device presents to the flow of current entering or exiting it. It is an important characteristic to consider when designing circuits or connecting devices together.

What is clipping voltage?

Clipping voltage, also known as saturation voltage, is the maximum voltage that a circuit or device can handle without distorting the output signal. When a signal exceeds the clipping voltage, the output signal will be "clipped" or truncated, resulting in distortion.

Why is it important to consider input/output impedance when designing circuits?

Input/output impedance plays a crucial role in determining the performance and stability of a circuit. Mismatched impedances can cause signal reflections, loss of signal integrity, and even damage to components. It is essential to match the impedance of different components to achieve optimal signal transfer.

How do I calculate the clipping voltage for a circuit?

The clipping voltage can be calculated by multiplying the maximum current that the circuit can handle by the impedance of the circuit. For example, if a circuit has an impedance of 100 ohms and can handle a maximum current of 2 amps, the clipping voltage would be 200 volts (100 ohms x 2 amps).

What are some methods for controlling input/output impedance and clipping voltages?

Some common methods for controlling input/output impedance and clipping voltages include using impedance matching networks, using buffer amplifiers, and using feedback circuits. These techniques help to ensure that the impedances are properly matched and that the clipping voltages are within safe operating limits.