Injection Molding Machines - Plastic Gears

In summary, the conversation discusses the cost analysis for an injection molding machine and mold for a specific plastic gear. The gear dimensions and production quantity are provided, and the person is seeking advice on the type of machine and cost of the mold. Some potential options are suggested, but more information is needed for a decision to be made.
integrate
Hello,

I need some help with the general very basic cost analysis of an injection molding machine and a mold for a particular part (Plastic Gear).

For example, a Gear made out of Nylon plastic resin. The gear dimensions are roughly 2 cm diameter (20 teeth). Something like the black one here - http://www.gears-manufacturers.com/gifs/plastic-gears.jpg" . I need to make let’s say approx. 600,000 gears per year.

What kind of injection molding machine would be needed? How much would the machine cost? How much would the mold cost for the above given dimensions (Assume the mold is made out of Steel or Aluminum with 1 cavity)? Can someone give me a price range or some advice on how to go about it?

Out of these which one do you think will be able to do the job? http://www.romi.com.br/ip_linhas_maquinas.0.html?&L=2" .

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Just on the surface of it, the Electramax seems best-suited for your purposes. In reality, though, you haven't provided anywhere near enough information for a decision to be made (and I'm not qualified to make one anyway; my plastic moulding experience was non-injection of polyurethane).

Related to Injection Molding Machines - Plastic Gears

1. What is injection molding?

Injection molding is a manufacturing process used to create plastic parts and products by injecting molten plastic material into a mold. This material is then cooled and hardened, forming the desired shape.

2. How do injection molding machines work?

Injection molding machines work by utilizing a reciprocating screw to melt and inject plastic material into a mold. The mold is then cooled, and the plastic part is ejected from the machine.

3. What are the advantages of using plastic gears in injection molding?

Plastic gears offer several advantages in injection molding, including their lightweight and durable nature, as well as their ability to be molded into complex shapes. They also have a lower cost compared to metal gears and can reduce noise and vibration in machinery.

4. What factors should be considered when selecting an injection molding machine for plastic gears?

The main factors to consider when selecting an injection molding machine for plastic gears include the type and size of the gear, the required production volume, and the material properties of the plastic being used. It is also important to consider the machine's capabilities, such as injection pressure and clamping force.

5. What are some common applications of plastic gears in injection molding?

Plastic gears are commonly used in a wide range of industries, including automotive, aerospace, consumer electronics, and medical devices. They can be found in various products such as power tools, household appliances, and even toys.