Initial pressure to launch ball at Velocity Z

In summary, the problem is about determining the initial pressure needed to launch a ball at a specific velocity from a horizontal cylinder. The problem statement is incomplete and the configuration of the cylinder and ball needs to be clarified. The force on the ball needs to be calculated by integrating the pressure on each surface of the ball and considering how it changes as the ball moves.
scain6043
1. Problem
I have a horizontal cylinder with a ball in it. What must the initial pressure be to launch the ball at Z velocity?
2. Attempt
P = F/A

A = Surface Area(Cylinder) - 1/2 Surface Area (Ball) = (2πrh)

F = m*a

U = - ∫ F dx

U = 1/2 mv^2 at x = h

∫ a dx = -1/2mv^2 / m at x = h

Z = -1/2v^2

This is where I am stuck. How can the final velocity be 1/2 final velocity squared? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi scain:

I think (1) the problem statement is incomplete, and (2) you have misunderstood several things.

1. The amount of velocity from the initial pressure depends on the length of the cylinder. What is it? Also you to need to state more clearly the initial configuration.
(a) I am guessing the cylinder as having a flat closed end and an open end from which the moving ball will emerge.
(b) I am guessing the ball rests touching the closed end of the cylinder.
(c) I am guessing a valve allows gas to enter the space between the ball and the closed end.
(d) I am guessing the ball in constrained from moving until the pressure behind the ball reaches some target pressure, and then the constraint is removed.
Are all these guesses correct, or if not, what is the configuration?

2. The area of interest for calculating the force on the ball is the half surface of the ball near the closed end of the cylinder. You need to integrate the component of force, from the pressure on each dA of the surface, in the direction of the axis of the cylinder toward the open end. You need to calculate how the pressure changes as the ball moves. You need to calculate the changing force on the ball as the ball moves until its center passes the open end of the cylinder.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz

Related to Initial pressure to launch ball at Velocity Z

1. What is initial pressure?

Initial pressure refers to the amount of force applied to an object at the start of its motion. In this case, it is the force applied to launch a ball.

2. How is initial pressure related to the launch velocity?

The initial pressure applied to a ball will determine its launch velocity. The greater the initial pressure, the greater the launch velocity will be.

3. What factors can affect the initial pressure needed to launch a ball at a specific velocity?

The initial pressure needed to launch a ball at a specific velocity can be affected by factors such as the weight and size of the ball, the type of launching mechanism, and any external forces acting on the ball.

4. Is there a specific formula to calculate the initial pressure needed to launch a ball at a certain velocity?

Yes, there is a specific formula known as the ideal gas law that can be used to calculate the initial pressure needed to launch a ball at a certain velocity. This formula takes into account factors such as the temperature, volume, and number of moles of gas present.

5. Why is understanding the initial pressure important in launching a ball at a desired velocity?

Understanding the initial pressure needed to launch a ball at a desired velocity is important because it allows for precise control over the motion of the ball. By knowing the initial pressure required, one can adjust the launching mechanism or other variables to achieve the desired velocity for the ball.