Infrared as watermark that can be detected by camera even in daylight

In summary, infrared works well as a watermark on still images and videos in dark surroundings. However, it may not be as effective in broad daylight. Additionally, projecting the beam in front of the image may not block it entirely, even with multiple IR sources. It may be possible to adjust angles or utilize reflective surfaces to improve IR reflection, but there is no guarantee of success.
makovx
Infrared works perfectly fine as a watermark on still images (infrared LEDs put at the back of the image) and even videos when the surrounding is dark.

Is there a way to make it more noticeable even in broad daylight?

And let's say, if my surrounding is dimmer and I want to obscure still-images without putting infrared LEDs at the back, but projecting the beam in front of the image, is there a way to make the infrared rays brighter? I tried using 4 flashlights/spotlights-style with 12 IrLEDs each but the image is still not blocked.

Science news on Phys.org
makovx said:
Infrared works perfectly fine as a watermark on still images (infrared LEDs put at the back of the image) and even videos when the surrounding is dark.
Very interesting. :wink:
And let's say, if my surrounding is dimmer and I want to obscure still-images without putting infrared LEDs at the back, but projecting the beam in front of the image, is there a way to make the infrared rays brighter? I tried using 4 flashlights/spotlights-style with 12 IrLEDs each but the image is still not blocked.
It sounds as though the IR is being largely absorbed by the canvas (or whatever), with little reflected? It might be possible to fiddle with angles, aiming the sources so that reflection would be towards where any pirate camera was likely to be positioned, but it might be a lost cause if reflection is diffuse and of low intensity. If you were dealing with paintings or photos, and were able to place them behind glass, investigate whether you can get better reflections off the glass surface. Or maybe there's a transparent coating that can be applied to glass to increase its reflection of IR?

Good luck with your photographic enterprise.

Related to Infrared as watermark that can be detected by camera even in daylight

1. What is infrared light and how does it work as a watermark?

Infrared light is a type of electromagnetic radiation that is invisible to the human eye. It has a longer wavelength than visible light and is often used in technology such as remote controls and security systems. In terms of watermarking, infrared light can be used to create a unique pattern that can be detected by a camera, even in daylight.

2. How is infrared used to create a watermark?

Infrared light can be used to create a watermark by emitting a specific pattern of light that is unique to a particular document or image. This pattern is then captured by a camera and can be decoded to verify the authenticity of the document or image.

3. Can infrared watermarks be detected by any camera?

Yes, infrared watermarks can be detected by any camera that is equipped with an infrared filter. This filter allows the camera to capture the unique pattern of infrared light emitted by the watermark, even in daylight.

4. Are there any limitations to using infrared watermarks?

One limitation of using infrared watermarks is that they can only be detected by cameras that have an infrared filter. This means that if the camera does not have this filter, the watermark will not be visible. Additionally, infrared watermarks can potentially be removed or altered by using special software or filters that can manipulate the infrared light.

5. What are the benefits of using infrared watermarks?

Infrared watermarks offer several benefits as a form of security and authentication. They are invisible to the human eye, making them difficult to replicate or remove. They can also be detected by cameras in both daylight and low light conditions, making them a reliable method of verification. In addition, the use of infrared watermarks does not affect the appearance of the document or image, making them a discreet and non-intrusive form of watermarking.