Infra red and ultra violet vision

In summary, snakes have a unique ability to sense heat through their pit organs, which is different from seeing infrared light like in infrared photography. Similarly, bees can see ultraviolet light due to their eyes being sensitive to electromagnetic radiation frequencies that humans cannot see. It is not clear if bees see ultraviolet as a color or if they have trichromatic vision like humans. However, it is important to not assume that other species perceive the world in the same way that humans do.
Hypercharge
I heard that snakes can see infra red waves and e.g. bees can see ultra violet light.
so... infra red = heat = snakes have heat vision?
and do bees see ultra violet as a color? if yes, does it mix with other colors or is it like a filter?

Biology news on Phys.org
Actually, snakes don't "see" IR, their pit organs (ie the name pit vipers) sense the heat, which is much longer wavelength than near ir like the type visualized in infrared photography.
Some people have a similar sense, albeit much weaker...have you ever felt the radiant heat of a stove or campfire on your face?

I’m not sure what your logic train is Hypercharge, but it seems to me that you are making this more complex than it is. This is basically the same as dogs being able to hear high pitched whistles that we cannot. They can do that because their ears are sensitive to sound wave frequencies that our ears are not sensitive to. If snakes can see infrared and bees can see ultra-violet, then all it means is that their eyes are sensitive to electro-magnetic radiation frequencies that ours are not sensitive to. And the question of what colour bees see ultra-violet light as assumes that they have trichromatic vision. I would hazard a guess that they do not. Humans are one of the very few species that do.

Obvious, I tend to make things appear more complex than they are to me (bit of a problem for me).
Some people have a similar sense, albeit much weaker...have you ever felt the radiant heat of a stove or campfire on your face?
So I presume snakes might not see the heat, they sense it just very much better than we do.
And the question of what colour bees see ultra-violet light as assumes that they have trichromatic vision. I would hazard a guess that they do not. Humans are one of the very few species that do.
gah, I'm being too anthropocentric... Thanks anyways.

Related to Infra red and ultra violet vision

What is infra red and ultra violet vision?

Infra red and ultra violet vision are two forms of electromagnetic radiation that are not visible to the human eye. They fall outside of the visible light spectrum, with infra red being located just below red light and ultra violet being located just above violet light.

How do infra red and ultra violet vision differ from visible light?

Infra red and ultra violet light have longer and shorter wavelengths, respectively, than visible light. This means that they have different frequencies and energy levels, making them invisible to the human eye.

What are some examples of animals with infra red and ultra violet vision?

Some animals, such as snakes and bees, have specialized organs or structures that allow them to see infra red and ultra violet light. This helps them to navigate their environments and find food or mates.

Can humans see infra red and ultra violet light?

No, humans do not have the physiological capability to see infra red or ultra violet light. However, some technological advancements, such as special cameras or glasses, can allow humans to see these forms of light in certain situations.

What are the practical applications of infra red and ultra violet vision?

Infra red and ultra violet light have various uses in fields such as medicine, agriculture, and military. They can be used for imaging, sterilization, and communication purposes, among others.