Influence of metallicity on effective temperature of star

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between metallicity and the effective temperature and luminosity of a star. The presence of more metals in a star's atmosphere increases its opacity, leading to a decrease in luminosity and effective temperature. This relationship is explained through the availability of transition lines for photons to be absorbed. A link to further mathematical details and a more intuitive explanation are also provided.
Anne-Sylvie
Hey everyone,

This is my first post on this forum. Please tell me if I do some mistake. :)

So, there is my question ; I have search a long time on the web but I don't find any answer...

Why the metallicity influences the effective temperature and the luminosity of a star ?

I read somewhere that the more metallic star, the more opaque the atmosphere. Because there are more transition lines available for photons to be absorbed or something like it.

But I don't see why this implies a change in luminosity or temperature.

Any idea ? Thanks a million ! :)

Have a nice day !

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hello QuArK,

Thanks for your answer. The pdf link is interesting.
But I'm searching a more physical and intuitive answer... Why a higher opacity implies a lower effective temperature ?

Edit : I think I have got it !
http://www2.astro.psu.edu/users/rbc/a534/lec18.pdf
On the third page.

Thanks you ! :-)

Last edited:
Anne-Sylvie said:
Why a higher opacity implies a lower effective temperature ?

I mean, there's a very simple answer. Imagine you're perfectly transparent, so the opacity is zero. Then all the light escaping is the same light from the core, so the effective temperature if very high. Now imagine you're perfectly opaque, so that no light escapes at all. Then you're effective temperature is zero.

Indeed.
Thanks !

Related to Influence of metallicity on effective temperature of star

What is the relationship between metallicity and effective temperature of a star?

The metallicity of a star refers to the proportion of elements heavier than helium in its composition. The higher the metallicity, the lower the effective temperature of the star. This is because heavier elements absorb more radiation and trap heat, causing the star to cool down.

How does metallicity affect the luminosity of a star?

The metallicity of a star has a direct impact on its luminosity. A higher metallicity means the star has a lower effective temperature, which leads to a lower rate of energy production and a lower luminosity. On the other hand, a lower metallicity results in a higher effective temperature and a higher luminosity.

Can metallicity affect the habitability of a planet orbiting a star?

Yes, the metallicity of a star can play a crucial role in determining the habitability of a planet orbiting it. This is because the metallicity affects the star's luminosity, which in turn influences the habitable zone where liquid water can exist on a planet's surface. A star with a lower metallicity would have a smaller habitable zone, while a star with a higher metallicity would have a larger habitable zone.

How do scientists measure the metallicity of a star?

Scientists use spectroscopy to measure the metallicity of a star. This involves analyzing the light emitted by the star and identifying the absorption lines of different elements. The strength of these lines can indicate the abundance of elements in the star's atmosphere, including heavier elements that contribute to its metallicity.

Is metallicity the only factor that influences the effective temperature of a star?

No, metallicity is not the only factor that affects the effective temperature of a star. Other factors, such as the star's mass, age, and composition, also play a role. However, metallicity is a significant factor that can have a significant impact on a star's temperature, luminosity, and overall evolution.