Infinite Voltage & Frequency in Power Grids: What's the Reason?

In summary: The reason for this is that the equations that govern voltage, current, and power flow at a node in a power grid are the same as the equations that govern them at an infinite bus. However, this is only a simplifying concept, and in reality there are always losses (in whatever form they might take) in any real power grid.
ranju
I have got to know that the voltage and frequency of the supply in the power grids is kept as infinity.>! But what is the reason behind it..??
Well for the voltage to be infinity , I have studied that losses are inversely proportional to square of supply voltage ..so higher is the voltage , lesser will be the losses..!
But what is the reason behind infinite frequency..please explain.>!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Neither voltage nor frequency are ever infinite or maintained at infinity. AC Transmission frequency is the same as distribution frequency. Voltage may be much higher, but infinity is a fiction.

I think that you might have heard the phrase, an infinite grid, and don't understand what it means.

ranju said:
I have got to know that the voltage and frequency of the supply in the power grids is kept as infinity.>! But what is the reason behind it..??
Well for the voltage to be infinity , I have studied that losses are inversely proportional to square of supply voltage ..so higher is the voltage , lesser will be the losses..!
But what is the reason behind infinite frequency..please explain.>!

As has been pointed out, you seem to have some confusion on how AC power is distributed. Can you post links to the reading that you have been doing that is causing these questions?

In my opinion what you heard –may be-it is that short-circuit power of a grid could be considered infinity if you calculate short-circuit current down stream a transformer. It will be a little bit conservative but for a rough appreciation it is ok. As already it is written in above posts the system frequency and the voltage would stay as rated.

Bu this is what told to us by our prof. !

Then he be wrong. I was once told by someone who should have known better that the reason the load was placed in the collector on grounded emitter BJT switch circuits (relay coil, LED, etc.) was because the collector typically has more heat sink area. Just because they should know does not mean they do know.

Or he be right and the OP misheard...

Likes dlgoff and davenn
OP misunderstood -I think. We be callin' the grid the infinite machine or the infinite grid (even though it is not).

I think the OP misheard slightly. In power analysis, it is common to use the concept of an infinite bus.

An infinite bus is one that will maintain constant magnitude, phase, and frequency of voltage, while supplying any current or any power. It is a simplifying concept, not something that we find in real life.

In "load flow" analysis where we calculate the voltages, current, and power flows for an entire power grid, it is necessary for one node in the network to be treated as an infinite bus.

Related to Infinite Voltage & Frequency in Power Grids: What's the Reason?

What is infinite voltage and frequency in power grids?

Infinite voltage and frequency in power grids refers to an extremely high voltage and frequency that can occur in a power grid. This can happen due to various reasons such as faulty equipment or a sudden change in power demand.

What are the dangers of infinite voltage and frequency in power grids?

High voltage and frequency in power grids can be dangerous as it can damage equipment and cause power outages. It can also pose a risk to the safety of workers and the general public.

What is the reason behind infinite voltage and frequency in power grids?

The reason behind infinite voltage and frequency in power grids can vary. It can be caused by a sudden increase in power demand, a malfunctioning generator, or a fault in the transmission lines.

How can infinite voltage and frequency be controlled in power grids?

To control infinite voltage and frequency in power grids, various measures can be taken such as installing protective devices, using load shedding techniques, and implementing automatic voltage and frequency control systems.

What are the potential solutions for preventing infinite voltage and frequency in power grids?

Potential solutions for preventing infinite voltage and frequency in power grids include regular maintenance and monitoring of equipment, implementing proper control strategies, and investing in renewable energy sources to reduce the load on the power grid.