Infinite Sum of a Geometric Series

In summary: Pythagorean Theorem Well, if you have an expression that is true for any x, and you're trying to find a value for an expression that corresponds to the specific value x=1/2, then what else would you do? In your case you are trying to find an finite sum with 2n in the denominator, using an expression with xn in the numerator, so it seems pretty obvious that you will eventually substitute x=1/2 because then xn = 1/2n...The answer's 4, but I cheated to get it. If you write a program calculating the sums from n=0 to infinity of (n^k)/(2^n) for k=
BraedenP

Homework Statement

I feel bad asking another question after I just asked one yesterday, but I'm really close this time, I think!

I have:

[tex]\sum_{n=2}^{\infty}\frac{n^2-n}{2^n}[/tex]

And need to find the sum.

Homework Equations

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}nx^{n-1}=\frac{1}{(1-x)^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have refectored this sum into the form:

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{n^2+n}{2^{n+1}}[/tex]

and can then split it into its two terms.

When finding the sum of the term [itex]\frac{n}{2^{n+1}}[/itex] by factoring out 1/4 and using the formula above, I get 1/4, however, when the sum should be 1. Am I not applying this formula properly?

Additionally, how can I apply the above formula to the term [itex]\frac{n^2}{2^{n+1}}[/itex]? I can again factor out 1/4, but then I'm left with an n2 rather than n.

Guidance for any of these steps would be awesome!

Physics news on Phys.org
BraedenP said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}nx^{n-1}=\frac{1}{(1-x)^2}[/tex]

Guidance for any of these steps would be awesome!

Try taking the relevant equation and finding the derivative with respect to x. Then take whatever steps are necessary to relate this to the problem, setting x=1/2.

bbbeard said:
Try taking the relevant equation and finding the derivative with respect to x. Then take whatever steps are necessary to relate this to the problem, setting x=1/2.

I've seen this "set x=1/2" technique used both in class and online. How are we just able to set this value of x? Does it derive from some theorem or something?

I'll definitely do that, but I'd just like to know the logic behind it, and why it works (or that there is a theorem that this comes from.)

Thanks!

BraedenP said:
I've seen this "set x=1/2" technique used both in class and online. How are we just able to set this value of x? Does it derive from some theorem or something?

I'll definitely do that, but I'd just like to know the logic behind it, and why it works (or that there is a theorem that this comes from.)

Thanks!

Well, if you have an expression that is true for any x, and you're trying to find a value for an expression that corresponds to the specific value x=1/2, then what else would you do? In your case you are trying to find an finite sum with 2n in the denominator, using an expression with xn in the numerator, so it seems pretty obvious that you will eventually substitute x=1/2 because then xn = 1/2n...

The answer's 4, but I cheated to get it. If you write a program calculating the sums from n=0 to infinity of (n^k)/(2^n) for k=0,1,2,3..., you'll obtain the sequence 1, 2, 6, 26, 150, 1082...

Looking up that sequence at http://oeis.org/ leads you to Sloan's A000629. The 4th entry under the FORMULA section confirms the connection. I have no idea how to get there from 1st principles, but perhaps one the entries in the REFERENCES or LINKS sections might help.

obafgkmrns said:
The answer's 4, but I cheated to get it. If you write a program calculating the sums from n=0 to infinity of (n^k)/(2^n) for k=0,1,2,3..., you'll obtain the sequence 1, 2, 6, 26, 150, 1082...

Looking up that sequence at http://oeis.org/ leads you to Sloan's A000629. The 4th entry under the FORMULA section confirms the connection. I have no idea how to get there from 1st principles, but perhaps one the entries in the REFERENCES or LINKS sections might help.

Doing this in my head, I also get 4. The idea is to take the sum that appears as the OP's Relevant Equation, and take the derivative with respect to x. For the value of x=1/2, you get precisely 22=4 times the sum that is being asked in the problem. On the other side, you get 2(1-x)-3=16...

In 2, what do you get if you take the x-derivative on both sides? Now, you are allowed to substitute any number strictly between -1 and +1. One particular value of x is especially relevant to your original problem.

RGV

Related to Infinite Sum of a Geometric Series

1. What is an infinite sum of a geometric series?

An infinite sum of a geometric series is a sum of an infinite number of terms that follow a specific pattern, where each term is multiplied by a common ratio.

2. How is the sum of an infinite geometric series calculated?

The sum of an infinite geometric series can be calculated using the formula S = a / (1 - r), where S is the sum, a is the first term, and r is the common ratio.

3. What is the formula for finding the common ratio of a geometric series?

The common ratio (r) of a geometric series can be found by dividing any term in the series by the previous term. This ratio remains constant throughout the series.

4. Can the sum of an infinite geometric series be negative?

Yes, the sum of an infinite geometric series can be negative if the common ratio (r) is negative and the absolute value of r is less than 1.

5. What is the significance of the common ratio in a geometric series?

The common ratio in a geometric series determines whether the series will converge (approach a finite sum) or diverge (approach infinity). If the absolute value of r is less than 1, the series will converge, but if it is greater than or equal to 1, the series will diverge.