Infinite Square Well with an Adiabatic Evolution

In summary, the geometric phase for the adiabatic widening of the infinite square well is defined by Griffiths as \gamma=i* \int^{w2}_{w1}<\psi_{n}|\frac{d\psi_{n}}{dR}>dR, where R is the aspect of the potential that is changing and w1, w2 are the initial and final widths of the well, respectively. The wave function of the infinite square well is given by \frac{d\psi_{n}}{dR}=\sqrt{ \frac{1}{2R^{3}}}Sin[\frac{n \pi x}{R}]. When differentiating the wave function with respect to R, the result should
Ateowa

Homework Statement

I'm trying to find the geometric phase for the adiabatic widening of the infinite square well. Griffiths defines the geometric phase to be:
[tex]\gamma[/tex]=[itex]i* \int^{w2}_{w1}<\psi_{n}|\frac{d\psi_{n}}{dR}>dR[/itex]

Where R is the aspect of the potential that is changing and w1, w2 are the initial and final widths of the well, respectively.

Homework Equations

The wave function of the infinite square well is [tex]\frac{d\psi_{n}}{dR}[/tex]=[tex]\sqrt{ \frac{1}{2R^{3}}}Sin[\frac{n \pi x}{R}][/tex], sharing the notation above where R is the width of the well.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having a bit of trouble with using Latex, so I'll try to describe the process that I'm doing. I think that will suffice for my question, but at the bottom I'll include my LaTex attempt.

When I differentiate the wave function with respect to R (The width of the well), I get a sum of a Sine and Cosine function up to constants. But to find the geometric phase, I integrate over the complex conjugate of the wavefunction times the derivative. This would be fine, but the result of this needs to be purely imaginary, as the integral has a factor of i in front and the phase factor as a whole must be real.

I know I must be missing something. I tried taking the derivative with respect to the wave function multiplied by the dynamic phase in the "complete" wave function, but that doesn't really solve the problem. at best, differentiating with the phase included gives a complex answer-- None of it can be real. Otherwise, the resultant wave function won't be properly normalized and will change magnitude as a result of the adiabatic expansion, which is opposite to the entire rationale behind the method.

[tex]\frac{d\psi_n}{dR}=\sqrt{\frac{2}{R}}(\frac{n \pi x}{R})Cos[\frac{n \pi x}{R}]+\sqrt{\frac{1}{2R^{3}}}Sin[\frac{n \pi x}{R}][/tex]

But then:

[tex]<\psi_n|\frac{d\psi_n}{dR}>=\frac{1}{R}\int\frac{2n\pi}{R^2}Cos[\frac{n \pi x}{R}]Sin[\frac{n \pi x}{R}]-Sin^{2}[\frac{n \pi x}{R}dR=\frac{1}{2R}[/tex]

Which leads to [tex]\gamma=\frac{i}{2}*ln[\frac{w2}{w1}][/tex]

This isn't a valid result, as this leads the wave function to be (neglecting the dynamic phase factor for ease of LaTex expression):

[tex]\Psi_n(t,x)=e^{\frac{-1}{2}ln[\frac{w2}{w1}]}\psi_n(x)=-\sqrt{\frac{w2}{w1}}\psi_n(x)[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I solved my own problem. For anyone who's interested, I missed a factor of x in my integration, so that the dot product should actually be

[tex]<\psi_n|\frac{d\psi_n}{dR}>=\frac{1}{R}\int\frac{2n\pi x}{R^2}Cos[\frac{n \pi x}{R}]Sin[\frac{n \pi x}{R}]-Sin^{2}[\frac{n \pi x}{R}]dR=0[/tex]

Therefore, gamma is zero and everything is okay.

Related to Infinite Square Well with an Adiabatic Evolution

1. What is an Infinite Square Well potential?

The Infinite Square Well potential is a model used in quantum mechanics to represent a particle confined in a one-dimensional space. It is an idealized potential in which the particle is confined to a finite region, represented by an infinitely high potential barrier on either side.

2. How does the Infinite Square Well potential affect a particle's energy levels?

The Infinite Square Well potential results in quantized energy levels for the particle. This means that the particle can only have certain discrete energy values, known as energy eigenstates, within the well. The energy levels are determined by the size of the well, with smaller wells resulting in higher energy levels.

3. What is an Adiabatic Evolution in the context of the Infinite Square Well?

An Adiabatic Evolution refers to a gradual change in the potential of the Infinite Square Well over time. This change is assumed to be very slow, so that the particle can adjust to the new potential without changing its energy state. This allows for the particle to remain in its energy eigenstate throughout the evolution.

4. How does an Adiabatic Evolution affect the energy levels in the Infinite Square Well?

During an Adiabatic Evolution, the energy levels in the Infinite Square Well remain constant. This is because the particle is able to adjust to the changing potential without transitioning to a different energy eigenstate. However, the spacing between the energy levels may change depending on the rate of evolution.

5. What are the applications of studying the Infinite Square Well with an Adiabatic Evolution?

Studying the Infinite Square Well with an Adiabatic Evolution allows for a better understanding of the behavior of quantum particles in confined spaces. This model is also used in various applications, such as in the design of quantum devices and in the study of quantum phase transitions.