Infinite square well expectation value problem

In summary: Also, I don't see an L in your problem, so I don't know how you got the sin function.In summary, the problem involves finding the expectation value for a particle in an infinite box in the first excited state. The attempt at a solution involved setting up the expectation value formula and using the wave function for the infinite square well. However, the function used was incorrect and the correct operator for the calculation is 2xp - ihbar. The final step is to solve the integral using the normalization condition.
Fakestreet123

Homework Statement

A particle in an infinite box is in the first excited state (n=2). Obtain the expectation value 1/2<xp+px>

2. The attempt at a solution

Honestly, I don't even know where to begin.
I assumed V<0, V>L is V=∞ and 0<V<L is V=0

I tried setting up the expectation value formula

1/2∫x|ψ*Pψ|2+(x|ψ2)*P x|ψ|2

but what is ψ? is it √(2/L) Sin ((n2πx)/L) because its the solution to the infinite well? are the bounds from 0 to L?

Thanks for viewing my question!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]\psi[/itex] is the wave function for the given problem, that you find by solving Schrodinger equation for a given potential

Fakestreet123 said:

Homework Statement

A particle in an infinite box is in the first excited state (n=2). Obtain the expectation value 1/2<xp+px>

2. The attempt at a solution

Honestly, I don't even know where to begin.
I assumed V<0, V>L is V=∞ and 0<V<L is V=0
You mean V=∞ when x<0 or x>L.

I tried setting up the expectation value formula

1/2∫x|ψ*Pψ|2+(x|ψ2)*P x|ψ|2
How did you get this?

but what is ψ? is it √(2/L) Sin ((n2πx)/L) because its the solution to the infinite well? are the bounds from 0 to L?
You do use a solution for the infinite square well, but the function you wrote isn't quite correct.

Thanks for responding guys! I very much appreciate it!

vela said:
You mean V=∞ when x<0 or
x
>L.

Ahh yes, sorry for the crappy notation

How did you get this?

Uhhh Now that I've done some more studying I can see that its wrong but I was, at the time, hoping that the expectation values would be ∫<xp>+<px> = ∫<xp+px> and the expectation values of xp, px will just add together like magic.

Which is wrong! So I've redone the problem in an attempt to simply find the operator first

<xp> = -ihx(dψ/dx) and
<px> = -ih (d(xψ)/dx)
1/2<xp+px> = (-ih)/2 (x(dψ/dx)+(d(xψ)/dx)

Now the expectation value should be <1/2(xp+px)>= ∫ψ*(1/2)<xp+px>ψ dx?

do I just plug in 1/2<xp+px> (assuming its correct) and plug in ψ (the solution to the infinite square well) and take the integral from 0 to L?

You do use a solution for the infinite square well, but the function you wrote isn't quite correct.

Sorry! I was very wrong haha
√(2/L) Sin ((nπx)/L)

One thing that might help you:

Using [x,p] = ihbar, or xp - px = ihbar, or px = -ihbar + xp, you can write

xp + px = xp + xp - ihbar = 2xp - ihbar, which has an easier to calculate expectation value. (you should check my work, I may have made a mistake)

In general an expectation value is:

<Q> = ∫ψ*Qψdx, where Q on the right is the operator for the observable you want to calculate. ψ is the wavefunction of the particle, which should be supplied by your textbook (it looks like you have the right one though).

Removed by moderator

Where I used the normalization condition ∫ψ*ψdx = 1.

I'll leave it to you do actually do the integral, and to check my work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Infinite square well expectation value problem

1. What is the "Infinite square well expectation value problem"?

The "Infinite square well expectation value problem" is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that involves calculating the average position and momentum of a particle confined within an infinite potential well.

2. How is the expectation value calculated for the "Infinite square well expectation value problem"?

The expectation value for the "Infinite square well expectation value problem" is calculated using the wave function of the particle, which is a mathematical representation of the particle's probability of being at a certain position and time.

3. What does the "infinite" aspect of the problem refer to?

The "infinite" aspect of the problem refers to the infinite potential walls that confine the particle within the well. These walls are considered to be infinite in height and width, creating a perfectly confined space for the particle.

4. What is the significance of the "square well" in the problem?

The "square well" in the problem refers to the shape of the potential barrier that confines the particle. The potential barrier is a square-shaped function that rises to infinity at the edges, creating a well-like structure for the particle to exist in.

5. What is the physical interpretation of the expectation value in the "Infinite square well expectation value problem"?

The expectation value in this problem represents the average position and momentum of the particle within the infinite well. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that helps us understand the behavior of particles in confined spaces.