Infinite sets' application to relativity in physics

• Thread starter jaketodd
  • Start date
In summary, the discussion on PF must be based on the professional literature and not personal theories. Any ideas or theories must be published in peer reviewed journals for them to be discussed on PF. Even basic ideas must have a published reference. The forum focuses on serious science and does not entertain questionable content.
jaketodd
Gold Member
Can I go ahead with my thoughts on this, or will my reasoning get shot down because it may qualify as a "personal theory"? My reasoning comprises how continuous spacetime is either impossible, or the necessity of infinite sets, and the Absolute Infinite.

Thanks,

Jake

Physics news on Phys.org
Everything that we discuss on PF must come from the professional literature. So if your ideas are published in the peer reviewed professional literature then we can discuss them here. Just link to the proper journal reference so that everyone knows what is being discussed.

Dale said:
Everything that we discuss on PF must come from the professional literature. So if your ideas are published in the peer reviewed professional literature then we can discuss them here. Just link to the proper journal reference so that everyone knows what is being discussed.
Well, a lot of the ingredients to my conclusions are pretty basic, and wouldn't have a whole paper written about it. For instance, the fact that any number divided by infinity is undefined.

Please advise,

Jake

jaketodd said:
Well, a lot of the ingredients to my conclusions are pretty basic, and wouldn't have a whole paper written about it. For instance, the fact that any number divided by infinity is undefined.

Please advise,

Jake
Well, sometimes it's a thin line between a question or discussion and a personal theory. The former is allowed, the latter is not. For instance in your example "any number divided by infinity is undefined" is as itself an obvious truth. Division means multiplication with an inverse element, and infinity is nowhere near the elements of, e.g. the multiplicative group of a field. It doesn't belong there and is usually only used as an abbreviation of a more complex matter, and not always the same!

Another example is your thread title: "Infinite sets' application to relativity in physics"
Without further discussing it, because we do not allow it, the phrase either doesn't make any sense, as sets are no physical objects, or it is trivial, as almost entire physics deal with real or complex numbers, parameterizations with a continuous time variable, infinitely many transformations and so on and so on, all of which are infinite sets. I seriously doubt, no, I know, there is nothing of value in between these two points of view.

So chances are high, that you think about a very special construction which eventually isn't found neither in mathematical or physical textbooks nor in any scientific journal, which we require to be the case in order to be debatable on PF. The reason for it is, that we in general do not want to deal with people who found a way to cut an arbitrary angle in three equal parts by compass and ruler, or have a proof of the Goldbach conjecture or have found a GUT. It simply occurs far too rare to waste time on it. And if, they would certainly not end up on a public internet forum. I'm not saying, your theory belongs to this category. I cannot know. We just decided not to discuss such theories. There are already plenty of places on the internet, which cannot be taken serious. We want to be serious. Existing science is hard enough to fully understand, so we want to provide help for those, who try hard to get there. This leaves no room for questionable contents.

I'm sorry, if this is not what you expected us to be, but we learned that this is the better approach on the long run to foster real science.

Likes berkeman
jaketodd said:
Please advise
You have been advised.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
So infinite sets couldn't, for example, be applicable to how many points there are in volumes of continuous spacetime? Or, they could, but discussing that here is forbidden?

Please see post two. Such things can certainly be discussed here under the condition described in post 2: all posts must be consistent with the professional scientific literature. I should mention that the professional literature includes standard textbooks as well as peer reviewed journals.

Related to Infinite sets' application to relativity in physics

1. How do infinite sets relate to relativity in physics?

Infinite sets play a crucial role in the mathematical framework of relativity, specifically in the theory of general relativity. The concept of space-time, which is central to relativity, is described using a mathematical structure known as a "manifold" which is essentially an infinite set.

2. Can you explain how the concept of infinity is applied in relativity?

In relativity, the concept of infinity is used to describe the behavior of space and time in extreme conditions, such as near a black hole or during the Big Bang. Infinity is also used in the mathematical equations that describe the curvature of space-time.

3. How do infinite sets impact our understanding of the universe?

Infinite sets are a fundamental part of our understanding of the universe, as they allow us to describe and model the behavior of space and time in extreme conditions. They also play a role in theories such as the multiverse, which posits the existence of an infinite number of universes.

4. Are there any limitations to using infinite sets in relativity?

While infinite sets are a powerful tool in understanding relativity, there are some limitations to their use. For example, the concept of infinity can lead to paradoxes and inconsistencies in certain situations, and there are still many unanswered questions about the nature of infinity itself.

5. How have infinite sets contributed to advancements in our understanding of relativity?

Infinite sets have allowed us to make precise and accurate predictions about the behavior of space and time in extreme conditions, which has in turn led to numerous advancements in our understanding of relativity. They have also helped to unify different branches of physics, such as quantum mechanics and relativity, through the use of infinite set-based mathematical models.