Infinite loop iterating over a linked list

In summary: And then later, it is reused. So, when you create a local variable in a function, the compiler gives the memory to that variable. And then, when the function exits, the compiler takes back that memory, and you can't use it anymore. This is why newL "dies" at the end of the function. It is no longer valid.
TheMathNoob
Mod note: Added code tags
1. Homework Statement

in my main I am getting infinite loop iterating over a link list

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

C:
/*
* graph.c
*  Created on: Oct 8, 2015
*      Author: danif
*/
#include <stdio.h>
#include "IntList.h"

int main(void)
{

typedef struct IntListStruct* List;
    List l1=IntListCons(3,NULL);
    List l2=IntListCons(3,l1);
    List l3=IntListCons(4,l2);
    List Tester;

Tester=l3;
    while(Tester!=NULL)
    {
        printf("%d\n",Tester->element);
        Tester=rest(Tester);
    }}/*
* IntList.c
*  Created on: Oct 8, 2015
*      Author: danif
*/
#include "IntList.h"struct IntListStruct* IntListCons(int newb, struct IntListStruct *oldList)
{
    struct IntListStruct newL;
    newL.element=newb;
    newL.pt=oldList;
    struct IntListStruct* pnewL= &newL;

return pnewL;
}

int first(struct IntListStruct* L)
{

return L->element;
}

struct IntListStruct* rest(struct IntListStruct* L)
{
    return L->pt;
}

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
in the future please put all code inside ['code']['/code'] (without the '). Makes it easier to read.Also what is the problem you are having? What do you believe the program should do?

cpscdave said:
in the future please put all code inside ['code']['/code'] (without the '). Makes it easier to read.Also what is the problem you are having? What do you believe the program should do?
I previously stated that the problem is an infinite loop, so how can I fix that?. I am just trying to display every element in the list.

TheMathNoob said:
I previously stated that the problem is an infinite loop, so how can I fix that?. I am just trying to display every element in the list.
Are you using a debugger?

Also, please show us your header file, IntList.h.

Mark44 said:

/*
* IntList.h
* Created on: Oct 8, 2015
* Author: danif
*/

#ifndef INTLIST_H_
#define INTLIST_H_
#include <stdio.h>
typedef struct IntListStruct* IntList;
struct IntListStruct* rest(struct IntListStruct *L);
struct IntListStruct* IntListCons(int newb, struct IntListStruct *oldList);
int first(struct IntListStruct* L);

struct IntListStruct
{
IntList pt;
int element;

};#endif /* INTLIST_H_ */

Mark44 said:

I forgot to replace InList with struct IntListStruct* in some of the prototypes, but that should be a minor point

TheMathNoob said:
/*
* IntList.h
* Created on: Oct 8, 2015
* Author: danif
*/

#ifndef INTLIST_H_
#define INTLIST_H_
#include <stdio.h>
typedef struct IntListStruct* IntList;
struct IntListStruct* rest(struct IntListStruct *L);
struct IntListStruct* IntListCons(int newb, struct IntListStruct *oldList);
int first(struct IntListStruct* L);

struct IntListStruct
{
IntList pt;
int element;

};#endif /* INTLIST_H_ */
Please use code tags -- [ code ] at the top and [ /code ] at the bottom (no extra spaces). They make your code more readable.

Mark44 said:
Please use code tags -- [ code ] at the top and [ /code ] at the bottom (no extra spaces). They make your code more readable.
Thank you for the the advice. I will keep it in mind.

I believe there is a bug in your IntListCons() function.
C:
struct IntListStruct* IntListCons(int newb, struct IntListStruct *oldList)
{
    newL.element=newb;
    newL.pt=oldList;

return pnewL;
}
The newL struct is a local that is allocated on the stack when this function is entered, and "dies off" when control returns to the caller. The pointer you're returning is the address of memory that is subject to change.

Mark44 said:
C:
{
    newL.element=newb;
    newL.pt=oldList;

return pnewL;
}
The newL struct is a local that is allocated on the stack when this function is entered, and "dies off" when control returns to the caller. The pointer you're returning is the address of memory that is subject to change.
Ok, so how can I create an struct that doesn't die once the control returns to the caller. I think that there is an explanation behind about extern and all of that types. Or I think that I have dynamic memory

TheMathNoob said:
Ok, so how can I create an struct that doesn't die once the control returns to the caller. I think that there is an explanation behind about extern and all of that types. Or I think that I have dynamic memory
You can allocate memory dynamically on the heap (instead of the stack) using malloc() -- its prototype is in stdlib.h.

Likes cpscdave
Mark44 said:
C:
{
    newL.element=newb;
    newL.pt=oldList;
    return pnewL;
}
I

The solution to the problem is this

IntList IntListCons(int newb, struct IntListStruct *oldList)
{
IntList pnewL= malloc(sizeof(struct IntListStruct));
pnewL->element=newb;
pnewL->pt=oldList;

return pnewL;
}

can you explain more about dynamic memoey and stack memory?. Explain me how this code really works.

TheMathNoob said:
I

The solution to the problem is this

IntList IntListCons(int newb, struct IntListStruct *oldList)
{
IntList pnewL= malloc(sizeof(struct IntListStruct));
pnewL->element=newb;
pnewL->pt=oldList;

return pnewL;
}

can you explain more about dynamic memoey and stack memory?. Explain me how this code really works.
PLEASE USE CODE TAGS!

Likes cpscdave
Without getting too technical about how the stack operates.
When you create a variable inside of a function. The compiler assumes that the memory it allocates for it is only need so long as you haven't exited from the function. When it does exit from the function the compiler returns the memory to the computer and forgets about it.
What generally does happen is that memory is used for something else and you've lost whatever you placed there.

When you use malloc the compiler takes memory from somewhere else, and reserves it till the memory is freed using the free command.
PROTIP everytime you add a malloc to a program you should immediately add a corresponding free and code to ensure all malloc'd memory is free'd. Good programming habit to get into early.

cpscdave said:
Without getting too technical about how the stack operates.
When you create a variable inside of a function. The compiler assumes that the memory it allocates for it is only need so long as you haven't exited from the function. When it does exit from the function the compiler returns the memory to the computer and forgets about it.
What generally does happen is that memory is used for something else and you've lost whatever you placed there.

When you use malloc the compiler takes memory from somewhere else, and reserves it till the memory is freed using the free command.
PROTIP everytime you add a malloc to a program you should immediately add a corresponding free and code to ensure all malloc'd memory is free'd. Good programming habit to get into early.
So the code to release memory would look something like this

IntList releaser=Tester;
while(Tester!=NULL)
{
Tester=rest(Tester);
free(releaser);
releaser=Tester;
}

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
PLEASE USE CODE TAGS!

I'm sure several of us have comments about you last code. Speaking for myself, if you can't be convinced to make your code "pretty" with code tags, I don't feel like spending the time helping out.

PLEASE USE CODE TAGS!

This would be a bit less code:

Code:
IntList releaser;
    while(Tester!=NULL)
    {
        releaser=Tester;
        Tester=rest(Tester);
        free(releaser);
    }

If you're going to use typedefs for pointer types, you might want to consider prefixing them with a P if it's not obvious, like PNode for pointer to node, or just use Node * for pointer assuming that Node is a typedef for a struct.

Last edited:

Related to Infinite loop iterating over a linked list

1. What is an infinite loop?

An infinite loop is a programming construct where a series of instructions or code is continuously repeated without an end condition. This can result in the program running indefinitely, often causing it to crash or freeze.

2. What is a linked list?

A linked list is a data structure in computer science that is used to store a collection of items. It consists of nodes, which contain data and a reference to the next node in the list. This allows for efficient insertion and deletion of items within the list.

3. How can an infinite loop occur while iterating over a linked list?

An infinite loop can occur while iterating over a linked list if the code does not have a proper end condition or if the condition for the loop to continue is always met. This can result in the program getting stuck in a continuous loop, repeatedly processing the same data.

4. What are the consequences of an infinite loop iterating over a linked list?

The consequences of an infinite loop iterating over a linked list can include the program crashing, freezing, or becoming unresponsive. This can also cause errors in the data being processed, leading to incorrect results or unexpected behavior.

5. How can I prevent an infinite loop while iterating over a linked list?

To prevent an infinite loop while iterating over a linked list, it is important to have a proper end condition in the code and ensure that the loop condition is not always true. Additionally, debugging and testing the code thoroughly can help identify and fix any potential issues before they cause an infinite loop.