Infinite-Dimensional Space Isomorphism: V vs V*

In summary, The conversation discusses the isomorphism between an infinite-dimensional normed space V and its dual space V*. It is proven that V and V* are not isomorphic, and that even for Hilbert spaces, V* has more elements than V. The question of whether V is isomorphic to its continuous dual is also raised, with examples given for when this is true. The concept of reflexive spaces is introduced, and the possibility of V being isomorphic to its double dual is discussed. The argument for identifying V* with FA is explained, showing that V* is much larger than V.
Bacle
Hi, Analysts:

I was just looking for a nice proof that when V is an infinite-dimensional normed space,
then V and V* are not isomorphic ( I think there is an exception if V is a Hilbert Space,
by using Riesz Representation ).

Also: while V is not always isomorphic to V* in the inf.-dim. (non-Hilbert) case:
Is V isomorphic to its (strictly smaller than the total dual) _continuous_ dual ?

Thanks for any references, help.

Physics news on Phys.org

Bacle said:
Hi, Analysts:

I was just looking for a nice proof that when V is an infinite-dimensional normed space,
then V and V* are not isomorphic ( I think there is an exception if V is a Hilbert Space,
by using Riesz Representation ).

No, even for Hilbert spaces, there are more vectors in V* than V. Here's a nice proof of this fact:

Let V be an F-vector space.V can be identified with the following subset of FA:

[tex]V\cong \{f\in F^A~\vert~f(\alpha)=0~\text{except for finitely many}~\alpha\}[/tex]

Indeed, with every function f, we associate the vector

[tex]\sum_{\alpha\in A} f(\alpha)\alpha}[/tex].

However, the algebraic dual V* can be described as [tex]V^\ast\cong F^A[/tex] (since every element in FA extends to an element in V*).

So we see that V and V* coincide for finite sets A. However, if A is not finite, then V* has much more elements than V.
Also: while V is not always isomorphic to V* in the inf.-dim. (non-Hilbert) case:
Is V isomorphic to its (strictly smaller than the total dual) _continuous_ dual ?

This is an interesting question. The answer is that V is somethimes very similar to it's continuous dual. For example, finite-dimensional normed spaces are isomorphic to it's continuous dual. And the Riesz-representation theorem yields that the Hilbert space is anti-isomorphic to it's continuous dual.

More interesting is the question whether V is isomorphic to it's double dual. The spaces which satisfy this are called reflexive spaces and are quite interesting in functional analysis...

Last edited:

Sorry, it seems the quote function has been disabled. Thanks for your answer.

I see, so if V is infinite-dimensional, it is isomorphic to the direct sum of (cardinality-many)
copies of F, i.e., all cardinality-ples with entries of F, with compact support?

And, re F<sup>A</sup> , as the set of all maps into F, or as the direct product, or
equivalently, the collection of all cardinality-many-ples with entries in F, but support
is not necessarily finite.

So, is your argument that we can get a functional by doing entry-by-entry multiplication
of v* in V* with some v in V, i.e, if v* in F<sup>A</sup> , and v in V:

v*(v) := v*1.v1 +v*2.v2+...+v*k.vk

which is well-defined since it has finite support,

where v*i is the i-th entry of an element in F<sup>A>/sup> ?

Yes, that's exactly how I identify V* with FA! Thus you see that V* is much larger than V.

For people who are wondering what micromass means by A: it is a basis of V (or equivalently just any set whose cardinality equals the dimension of V).

Related to Infinite-Dimensional Space Isomorphism: V vs V*

1. What is infinite-dimensional space isomorphism?

Infinite-dimensional space isomorphism is a mathematical concept that relates two infinite-dimensional vector spaces through a bijective linear transformation. In simpler terms, it is a way to show that two seemingly different infinite-dimensional spaces can be mapped onto each other in a one-to-one and onto manner.

2. What is the difference between V and V* in infinite-dimensional space isomorphism?

V represents a vector space, while V* represents its dual space. In infinite-dimensional space isomorphism, V and V* are two different vector spaces that are isomorphic to each other.

3. How is infinite-dimensional space isomorphism used in scientific research?

Infinite-dimensional space isomorphism is used in various fields of science, such as physics and engineering, to study and analyze complex systems. It helps to simplify and understand the relationships between different aspects of these systems.

4. Can infinite-dimensional space isomorphism be applied to finite-dimensional spaces?

No, infinite-dimensional space isomorphism is a concept that is specific to infinite-dimensional spaces. It cannot be applied to finite-dimensional spaces as they have a finite number of dimensions and do not exhibit the same characteristics as infinite-dimensional spaces.

5. What are the practical applications of infinite-dimensional space isomorphism?

Infinite-dimensional space isomorphism has various practical applications, such as in signal processing, image analysis, and optimization problems. It is also used in quantum mechanics to understand the relationships between different states in an infinite-dimensional Hilbert space.