Infinite Derivative of the Zeta Function

In summary, When extended to the complex plane, the zeta function is analytic everywhere except at 1 and has a Taylor series that converges to zero for all points except 1. The question being asked is whether the infinith derivative of the zeta function also converges to zero. However, the only result that could be obtained is that the sequence of derivatives divided by n! converges to zero for all points except 1. The previous problem may provide a clue for further understanding.
seanhbailey

Homework Statement

When extended to the complex plain, does the zeta function approach zero as the number of derivatives of it approaches infinity?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Could someone please help? I really need an answer.

I don't understand the question. When extended to the entire complex plane, the zeta function is analytic everywhere, except at 1. Being analytic implies that it's infinitely differentiable everywhere (again, except at 1). What do you mean by "does the zeta function approach zero as the number of derivatives of it approaches infinity?"

Petek

In other words, does the infinith derivative of the zeta function equal 0?

I think you're saying that, suppose s [itex]\neq[/itex] 1. Then, does the sequence [itex](\zeta^{(n)}(s))[/itex] converge to zero? If that's what you mean, I'll have think about it. Let me know if you mean something else.

Petek

Yes, that is what I mean.

Sorry, can't figure it out. The only result I could get was the trivial observation that

[tex]\frac{\zeta^{(n)}(s)}{n!}[/tex]

converges to zero for all s [itex]\neq[/itex] 1. That just follows from the fact that zeta is analytic at those points, and hence has a Taylor series whose coefficients are as above. If this is a problem from a book, you might want to check if the previous problem provides a clue. Sometimes authors will do that.

Petek

Related to Infinite Derivative of the Zeta Function

1. What is the Infinite Derivative of the Zeta Function?

The Infinite Derivative of the Zeta Function is a mathematical concept that involves taking the derivative of the Zeta function an infinite number of times. The Zeta function is a mathematical function that is defined as the sum of the reciprocals of all positive integers raised to a given power. The Infinite Derivative of the Zeta Function has important applications in number theory and other areas of mathematics.

2. How is the Infinite Derivative of the Zeta Function calculated?

The Infinite Derivative of the Zeta Function can be calculated using a formula known as the Riemann Functional Equation. This equation relates the values of the Zeta function at different points on the complex plane, and can be used to calculate the values of the Infinite Derivative of the Zeta Function.

3. What is the significance of the Infinite Derivative of the Zeta Function?

The Infinite Derivative of the Zeta Function has significant applications in number theory, specifically in the study of prime numbers. It can also be used to better understand the behavior of the Zeta function and its relationship to other mathematical functions.

4. Can the Infinite Derivative of the Zeta Function be expressed in closed form?

No, the Infinite Derivative of the Zeta Function cannot be expressed in closed form. This means that there is no simple, finite expression that can be used to represent it. Instead, it is typically represented using mathematical notation or in terms of other known functions.

5. Are there any open problems related to the Infinite Derivative of the Zeta Function?

Yes, there are still open problems related to the Infinite Derivative of the Zeta Function. One such problem is the Riemann Hypothesis, which states that all non-trivial zeros of the Zeta function lie on the critical line of 0.5+it. This hypothesis has not been proven, and is closely related to the behavior of the Infinite Derivative of the Zeta Function.