Inequality and complex number.

In summary, the proof of triangle inequality uses inequality even though the absolute value is a real number. This is possible because the order relation on the complex field is an extension of the order relation on the real field.
gotjrgkr
hi, while trying to study complex analysis, i have a few problems.
i already know that in complex number system, it's impossible for any order relation to exist.
but i was confused to this fact when i saw the proof of triangle inequality.
;
Let z,w be complex numbers. Then, triangle inequality states that absolute value of z+w is less than or equal to the sum of each absolute value of z and w.

i think the absolute value of a complex number also belongs to the complex field because real number is identified with special ordered pair whose second coordinate is zero. There is strange thing here. triangle inequality use inequality even though the absolute value is a special complex number. how is this possible?
please let me know if you know about this.
thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
But... the absolute value of a complex number is a real number, and orders are obviously well defined for real numbers.

You are correct in stating that the reals are, in some sense, a special case of the complexes. However, saying there is no order relation on the complexes does not imply there cannot be an order relation on a subset of the complexes.

Something that is true of a set does not imply it is true of a subset. A trivial example is the set {0,1,2} has 3 elements. The subset {0,1} does not have 3 elements.

please see my thought below.
Let R = {(a,0): a is a real number} where the element a is derived from some subset (cut) of rational number, and order relation < on R = { ((p,0),(q,0)) : p<q where p and q are real numbers, and are derived from cut} and write (p,0)<(q,0) if ((p,0), (q,0)) belongs to <.

Do you mean the order relation I've suggested above exists?
i have also tried to think about it like above.
i , however , couldn't find some statements related with above order relation in any textbook. could you tell me some textbooks explaing the existence of such an order relation?

gotjrgkr said:
please see my thought below.
Let R = {(a,0): a is a real number} where the element a is derived from some subset (cut) of rational number, and order relation < on R = { ((p,0),(q,0)) : p<q where p and q are real numbers, and are derived from cut} and write (p,0)<(q,0) if ((p,0), (q,0)) belongs to <.

I do not fully understand what you are trying to do with subsets of the rationals, but I might understand the thrust of your argument.

Identify C with pairs of reals. Let R = {(a,0): a is real}. Let O be the set { ((p,0),(q,0)) : p<q with p and q real}. Write (p,0)<(q,0) if ((p,0), (q,0)) belongs to O.

O is not an order relation on C. It violates trichotomy -- that for all x, y, exactly one of the following holds: x<y, x>y, or x=y. To see this, consider (0,1) and (0,2). Neither ((0,1),(0,2)) nor ((0,2),(0,1)) is in O, and (0,1) is not equal to (0,2).

However, O is an order relation on R.

i , however , couldn't find some statements related with above order relation in any textbook. could you tell me some textbooks explaing the existence of such an order relation?

Rudin, Principles of Mathematical Analysis gives definitions and some basic properties of ordered fields. You may find this useful. (In fact, Ch. 1, Problem 8 asks you to prove the complexes cannot be ordered).

gamma5772 said:
I do not fully understand what you are trying to do with subsets of the rationals, but I might understand the thrust of your argument.

Identify C with pairs of reals. Let R = {(a,0): a is real}. Let O be the set { ((p,0),(q,0)) : p<q with p and q real}. Write (p,0)<(q,0) if ((p,0), (q,0)) belongs to O.

O is not an order relation on C. It violates trichotomy -- that for all x, y, exactly one of the following holds: x<y, x>y, or x=y. To see this, consider (0,1) and (0,2). Neither ((0,1),(0,2)) nor ((0,2),(0,1)) is in O, and (0,1) is not equal to (0,2).

However, O is an order relation on R.

Rudin, Principles of Mathematical Analysis gives definitions and some basic properties of ordered fields. You may find this useful. (In fact, Ch. 1, Problem 8 asks you to prove the complexes cannot be ordered).

Thank you for replying my question.
^^

Related to Inequality and complex number.

1. What is inequality in complex numbers?

Inequality in complex numbers refers to the comparison of two complex numbers using the greater than, less than, greater than or equal to, or less than or equal to symbols. Complex numbers are numbers that contain both a real and imaginary component, and inequality in complex numbers takes into account both the real and imaginary parts.

2. How do you graph inequalities in complex numbers?

To graph inequalities in complex numbers, you first plot the complex numbers on a complex plane, with the real component on the x-axis and the imaginary component on the y-axis. Then, you shade the region of the complex plane that satisfies the inequality. If the symbol is greater than or less than, the boundary line is dashed, but if the symbol includes equality, the boundary line is solid.

3. What are the rules for solving inequalities in complex numbers?

The rules for solving inequalities in complex numbers are similar to those for solving inequalities in real numbers. The key difference is that when multiplying or dividing by a negative number, the inequality sign must be flipped. Additionally, when solving for the real or imaginary component, you must consider the inequality for both components separately.

4. How are inequalities used in complex analysis?

Inequalities are commonly used in complex analysis to establish bounds and estimates for complex functions and their derivatives. These inequalities, such as the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality and the triangle inequality, are important tools for proving theorems and solving problems in complex analysis.

5. Can complex numbers be compared using inequalities?

Yes, complex numbers can be compared using inequalities just like real numbers. However, it is important to keep in mind that complex numbers have both a real and imaginary component, so when comparing, both components must be considered. Additionally, the order of complex numbers is not the same as the order of real numbers, so comparisons may not always follow the same pattern.