Inelastic Collision: Skiing on a Hill - Find Final Velocity

In summary, a 65 kg skier starts from rest at the top of a 30 m hill and slides down to the bottom, where she collides with a 45 kg stationary skier. The collision is completely inelastic and the final velocity of the skiers can be calculated using the equation m1v1 + m2v2 = (m1+m2)v. The height of the hill is given because it determines the speed of the 65 kg skier before the collision, and the potential energy at the top of the hill is turned into kinetic energy at the bottom. Alternatively, the final velocity can also be calculated using kinematics.
fa08ti
in a movie stunt, a 65 kg skier starts from a rest postion at the top of a hill 30 m high. she slides down the hill to the bottom, where she collides with a 45 kg stationary skier. the collision is completely inelastic. find the fiinal velocity of the skiers.

ATTEMPT.
i know i have to use
m1v1+ m2v2= (m1+m2)v

but I'm not sure about what values to use. and why am i given the height?

Physics news on Phys.org
The height will determine the speed of the 65 kg skier as she reaches the bottom of the hill just before colliding with the stationary skier. What equation should you use to get that speed?

the only equation for speed i can think of is distance/time

The skier at the top of the hill has potential energy which all gets turned into kinetic energy at the bottom. This is why the height of the hill is given.

if you are uncomfortable with energy method ... you can also do it with simple kinematics.

Tell me if you need help

Related to Inelastic Collision: Skiing on a Hill - Find Final Velocity

1. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision where kinetic energy is not conserved. This means that some of the initial kinetic energy is lost and converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.

2. How is skiing on a hill considered an inelastic collision?

When a skier is skiing down a hill, they are experiencing an inelastic collision with the snow. The skier's kinetic energy is not conserved because some of it is lost due to friction between the skis and the snow. This loss of energy results in a decrease in the skier's speed.

3. How is final velocity calculated in an inelastic collision?

In an inelastic collision, the final velocity can be calculated using the conservation of momentum equation: m1v1 + m2v2 = (m1 + m2)vf, where m1 and v1 are the mass and initial velocity of one object, m2 and v2 are the mass and initial velocity of the other object, and vf is the final velocity of both objects together.

4. What factors affect the final velocity in an inelastic collision?

The final velocity in an inelastic collision is affected by the masses and initial velocities of the objects involved, as well as the amount of energy lost during the collision. In the case of skiing on a hill, factors such as the slope of the hill, the type of snow, and the surface area of the skis can also affect the final velocity.

5. How does the final velocity in an inelastic collision compare to the initial velocities?

In an inelastic collision, the final velocity is always less than the initial velocities of the objects involved. This is because some of the initial kinetic energy is lost during the collision, resulting in a decrease in speed.