Inelastic Collision and Finding Initial Velocity

In summary, two rolling gold balls of the same mass collided with initial velocities of 2.70 m/s [E]. After the collision, the velocities of the balls were 2.49 m/s [62.8 degrees N of W] and 2.37 m/s [69.2 degrees S of E]. By drawing a vector diagram and using the equation for conservation of momentum, it was determined that the unknown initial velocity was 3.00 m/s. In a similar problem involving two identical railroad cars, one moving at 2 m/s and the other initially at rest, the final velocity of the two connected cars would be 1 m/s.
pitaaa

Homework Statement

Two rolling gold balls of the same mass collide. The velocity of one ball is initially 2.70 m/s [E]. After the collision, the velocities of the balls are 2.49 m/s [62.8 degrees N of W] and 2.37 m/s [69.2 degrees S of E]. What are the magnitude and direction of the unknown initial velocity?

Homework Equations

mv1 + mv2 = mv1' + mv2'

The Attempt at a Solution

First off, I drew the resulting velocities, and found their components.

The x and y components of the 2.49 m/s velocity are -2.49cos62.8 and 2.49sin62.8 respectively. The x and y components of the 2.37 velocity are 2.37 cos 69.2, and -2.37sin69.2 respectively. Knowing this, I figure I have to incorporate the components somewhere into the equation - I just don't know where! Given the above equation, since the masses are equal, I can eliminate the masses from the equation entirely - likewise, I can eliminate the 1/2, by multiplying the entire equation by two - thus, I have a simplified equation ... I just don't know where to go from here. Can anybody give me a hint as to what to do with the components? Any insight is greatly appreciated!

The answer is supposed to be 3.00 m/s, for the initial velocity of the unknown.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your inelastic collision will result in the conservation of momentum. Total before is total after as you have given.

Draw a careful vector diagram. Note that you can use vector addition by adding the x and y components separately and still insure that Total momentum before is the same as Total momentum after in each axis.

A careful diagram will help you keep the signs of the values straight.

Okay, I redrew the vector diagram.
But what do I do once I have my components? :/
I don't know what to do with them.

pitaaa said:
Okay, I redrew the vector diagram.
But what do I do once I have my components? :/
I don't know what to do with them.

Doesn't the sum of the x components of the velocity vectors (you've discarded mass as both are the same, but momentum vectors if you were still carrying the mass) before properly add to the sum of the after collision velocity (or momentum) components? The same for the y components?

Hmm I'll try it :/ Unless my diagram is totally wrong :P

i kinda have a proble like that but in mine i have a 5,000 kg railroad car moving at 2 m/s collides and connects to another identical car intially at rest.what is the finial velocity of the two connected train cars?

Related to Inelastic Collision and Finding Initial Velocity

1. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision where the two objects involved stick together after impact and move as one object. This results in a loss of kinetic energy and the objects become deformed or change shape.

2. How is the initial velocity calculated in an inelastic collision?

The initial velocity in an inelastic collision can be calculated using the conservation of momentum equation: m1v1 + m2v2 = (m1 + m2)v, where m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects and v1 and v2 are their respective velocities before the collision. This equation assumes that there are no external forces acting on the system.

3. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In an elastic collision, the two objects involved bounce off each other and there is no loss of kinetic energy. Whereas in an inelastic collision, the objects stick together and there is a loss of kinetic energy. Inelastic collisions are also characterized by deformation or change in shape of the objects involved.

4. Can the initial velocity be negative in an inelastic collision?

Yes, the initial velocity can be negative in an inelastic collision if one of the objects involved is moving in the opposite direction before the collision. The negative sign indicates the direction of the velocity, not the speed.

5. How does the coefficient of restitution affect an inelastic collision?

The coefficient of restitution, denoted by e, is a measure of the elasticity of a collision. In an inelastic collision, the coefficient of restitution is always less than 1, indicating a loss of kinetic energy. The lower the coefficient of restitution, the more inelastic the collision is.