Induction to prove then number of subsets with elements of 3

In summary: A?If you don't use the element that you added to A, how will it change... the number of 3-subsets that you can make from A?It wouldn't, the number of 3-subsets from A would remain the same whether or not the element is used.So, if the number of 3-subsets from A is n, then the number of 3-subsets from B (which is A \cup \{x_{4}\}) is also n.In summary, the conversation is about proving that a set with n elements has \frac{n(n-1)(n-2)}{6} subsets containing exactly three elements whenever n
sta|ker

Homework Statement

Prove that a set with n elements has [itex]\frac{n(n-1)(n-2)}{6}[/itex] subsets containing exactly three elements whenever n is an integer greater than or equal to 3.

Our professor wants us to use Induction.

Homework Equations

[itex]P(n) = \frac{n(n-1)(n-2)}{6}[/itex]
[itex]n \geq 3[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since our professor wants to use Induction, I tried to prove the basis:
[itex]P(3)=\frac{3(2)(1)}{6} = \frac{6}{6} = 1[/itex]

This is true given any set (with elements equal to 3):
[itex]\{x_{1}, x_{2}, x_{3}\}[/itex] has subsets [itex]\{\{∅\},\{x_{1}\}, \{x_{2}\}, \{x_{3}\}, \{x_{1},x_{2}\}, \{x_{1},x_{3}\}, \{x_{2},x_{3}\},\{x_{1},x_{2},x_{3}\}\}[/itex]

So, from here I naturally tried to prove P(n+1). In this process, I'd try to find something to add to P(n) to equal P(n+1). With some guess work, I came up with the following:
[itex]\frac{n(n-1)(n-2)}{6} + \frac{n(n-1)}{2} = \frac{n(n+1)(n-1)}{6}[/itex].

I noticed (from an example in the textbook) that [itex]\frac{n(n-1)}{2}[/itex] is actually the formula that equates to the number of subsets that contain 2 elements. I'm assuming that this isn't a coincidence. The problem I have from here is: why can [itex]\frac{n(n-1)}{2}[/itex] be added to [itex]\frac{n(n-1)(n-2)}{6}[/itex]? Is there a rule or law I'm missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose you have a list of the subsets of 3 elements of some set A. Now you add a new element to A. How many subsets of 3 are t here in the expanded set that do not include the new element? How many are there that do include the new element?

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
Suppose you have a list of the subsets of 3 elements of some set A. Now you add a new element to A. How many subsets of 3 are t here in the expanded set that do not include the new element? How many are there that do include the new element?

EDIT 2: Ok, just re-read again. So there are 3 sets of 3 in the extended set (lets call this B) that contain the new element, and 1 that doesn't. I'm still not sure of the relevance. I actually just re-read my assignment and our professor wants us to use Structural Induction, which is extremely confusing here.

[STRIKE]EDIT: I misread that (there's 1 subset of 3 in the first, and 3 subsets of 3 in the second). I still don't understand what's being implied though.[/STRIKE]

[STRIKE]Hmm, well, that would be 7 in set A, and if we make set B the set with the 4th element, that would be 7 without the 4th element, and 7 without the first 3. I still don't think I understand how that relates to this.[/STRIKE]

Last edited:
To do the inductive step you need to work more generally. Suppose there are n 3-sets in A. We add one element x to form B. How many 3-sets are there in B which do not use x? How many do use x? When you have answered those the relevance will be quite clear.

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
To do the inductive step you need to work more generally. Suppose there are n 3-sets in A. We add one element x to form B. How many 3-sets are there in B which do not use x? How many do use x? When you have answered those the relevance will be quite clear.

So:
[itex]n[/itex] subsets of 4 in [itex]A[/itex]

[itex]B = A \cup \{x_{4}\}[/itex]

[itex]A = \{x_{1}, x_{2}, x_{3}\}[/itex]

[itex]B = \{x_{1}, x_{2}, x_{3}, x_{4}\}[/itex]

So, [itex]n=1[/itex] for [itex]A[/itex], and [itex]n=4[/itex] (1 without [itex]x_{4}[/itex], 3 with [itex]x_{4}[/itex]).

The only pattern I see here is that there are 3 elements in [itex]A[/itex] and 3 subsets with [itex]x_{4}[/itex] in [itex]B[/itex]. Though I don't think that's a correct correlation...

sta|ker said:
So:
[itex]n[/itex] subsets of 4 in [itex]A[/itex]

[itex]B = A \cup \{x_{4}\}[/itex]

[itex]A = \{x_{1}, x_{2}, x_{3}\}[/itex]

[itex]B = \{x_{1}, x_{2}, x_{3}, x_{4}\}[/itex]

So, [itex]n=1[/itex] for [itex]A[/itex], and [itex]n=4[/itex] (1 without [itex]x_{4}[/itex], 3 with [itex]x_{4}[/itex]).

The only pattern I see here is that there are 3 elements in [itex]A[/itex] and 3 subsets with [itex]x_{4}[/itex] in [itex]B[/itex]. Though I don't think that's a correct correlation...
No, you must do it with an arbitrary set A, not just a set of three elements. Don't try to ask what A looks like, just accept that it has n subsets of size 3. If you add an element but don't use it, how many subsets of size 3 can you make? The answer is extremely simple!

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
No, you must do it with an arbitrary set A, not just a set of three elements. Don't try to ask what A looks like, just accept that it has n subsets of size 3. If you add an element but don't use it, how many subsets of size 3 can you make? The answer is extremely simple!

Alright, so we declare [itex]A[/itex] as a set with [itex]n[/itex] subsets of size 3. If we add one more element, and set it to [itex]B[/itex], we can say [itex]B[/itex] is a set with [itex]n + m[/itex] subsets of size 3. So, if we say the total size of [itex]A[/itex]'s subsets of size 3 is [itex]a = n[/itex], then we can say the total size of [itex]B[/itex]'s subsets of size 3 is [itex]b = a + m[/itex]. I guess we can say [itex]m = a - b[/itex] or [itex]m = n - b[/itex], but I still don't know what [itex]b[/itex] is or [itex]m[/itex] is.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be a pain, but I'm just not seeing it.

sta|ker said:
Alright, so we declare [itex]A[/itex] as a set with [itex]n[/itex] subsets of size 3. If we add one more element, and set it to [itex]B[/itex], we can say [itex]B[/itex] is a set with [itex]n + m[/itex] subsets of size 3. So, if we say the total size of [itex]A[/itex]'s subsets of size 3 is [itex]a = n[/itex], then we can say the total size of [itex]B[/itex]'s subsets of size 3 is [itex]b = a + m[/itex]. I guess we can say [itex]m = a - b[/itex] or [itex]m = n - b[/itex], but I still don't know what [itex]b[/itex] is or [itex]m[/itex] is.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be a pain, but I'm just not seeing it.
If you don't use the element that you added to A, how will it change the count of subsets?

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
If you don't use the element that you added to A, how will it change the count of subsets?

It won't change them, that's why I said [itex]b[/itex] would be [itex]a+m[/itex]. [itex]a[/itex] is [itex]n[/itex] and [itex]m[/itex] is the number of subsets that do contain the new element. If you don't use the added element, it isn't going to change the amount of subsets with 3 elements. Regardless, it gave me an idea:

Let [itex]a[/itex] represent the amount of subsets with 3 elements in the set [itex]A[/itex].
Let [itex]b[/itex] represent the amount of subsets with 3 elements in the set [itex]B[/itex].

We know that [itex]A \subset B[/itex], so we can declare: [itex]b = a + c[/itex] where [itex]c[/itex] is the count of all subsets with 3 elements in [itex]B[/itex] that do contain the added element.

We also know that [itex]a[/itex] can be represent by [itex]\frac{n(n-1)(n-2)}{6}[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex] can be represented by [itex]\frac{n(n-1)(n+1)}{6}[/itex].

So, if we rework [itex]b = a + c[/itex], we get [itex]c = b - a[/itex]. Substituting our formulas, we get:

[itex]c = \frac{n(n-1)(n+1)}{6} - \frac{n(n-1)(n-2)}{6}[/itex]. This ultimately ends up becoming [itex]c = \frac{n(n-1)}{2}[/itex]. If we add that to [itex]P(n)[/itex] to attempt to obtain [itex]P(n+1)[/itex], it will result in an equal equation.

This is all given that [itex]P(n) = \frac{n(n-1)(n-2)}{6}[/itex] for [itex]n \geq 3[/itex], and that the base [itex]P(3) = 1[/itex], which is true, which implies [itex]P(n+1)[/itex].

Would this be considered a valid proof?

sta|ker said:
It won't change them, that's why I said [itex]b[/itex] would be [itex]a+m[/itex].
Ok, but you did not make it clear that this is what you meant by a and m.
... and [itex]b[/itex] can be represented by [itex]\frac{n(n-1)(n+1)}{6}[/itex].
No! That is what you are trying to prove, so you cannot assume it.
Think now about about how you would make a 3-subset of B that does use the added element. You have the added element in the 3-set... what else do you need in it?

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
Ok, but you did not make it clear that this is what you meant by a and m.

No! That is what you are trying to prove, so you cannot assume it.
Think now about about how you would make a 3-subset of B that does use the added element. You have the added element in the 3-set... what else do you need in it?

Hmm, I'm not sure I'm understanding this correctly:

[itex]a[/itex] represents the number of subsets containing 3 elements in a set A.
[itex]b[/itex] represents the number of subsets containing 3 elements in a set B.
[itex]B[/itex] is basically [itex]A[/itex] with an added element, so [itex]B = A \cup \{x\}[/itex]
This means [itex]A \subset B[/itex], so there is a number we'll call [itex]c[/itex] that represents the subsets of 3 containing the added element.

This means [itex]b = a + c[/itex].

Now, given all this, are you asking what [itex]c[/itex] (the representative of the number of subsets with 3 elements in [itex]B[/itex] that contain the new element) is?

The only thing I can come up with is that [itex]c=b-a[/itex].

sta|ker said:
Hmm, I'm not sure I'm understanding this correctly:

[itex]a[/itex] represents the number of subsets containing 3 elements in a set A.
[itex]b[/itex] represents the number of subsets containing 3 elements in a set B.
[itex]B[/itex] is basically [itex]A[/itex] with an added element, so [itex]B = A \cup \{x\}[/itex]
This means [itex]A \subset B[/itex], so there is a number we'll call [itex]c[/itex] that represents the subsets of 3 containing the added element.

This means [itex]b = a + c[/itex].

Now, given all this, are you asking what [itex]c[/itex] (the representative of the number of subsets with 3 elements in [itex]B[/itex] that contain the new element) is?

The only thing I can come up with is that [itex]c=b-a[/itex].
I don't think I can put it more clearly than I did in the last sentence of my previous post, short of giving you the answer.
Imagine you are constructing a set of 3 elements from B. You are required to use the added element that was not in A. What else do you need to complete the 3-set you are constructing? How many ways are there of doing that?

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
I don't think I can put it more clearly than I did in the last sentence of my previous post, short of giving you the answer.
Imagine you are constructing a set of 3 elements from B. You are required to use the added element that was not in A. What else do you need to complete the 3-set you are constructing? How many ways are there of doing that?

Alright, I think I have it:

We can obtain [itex]c[/itex] by taking all the subsets with 2 elements in [itex]A[/itex] and adding the extra element from [itex]B[/itex]. So essentially [itex]c[/itex] is the number of subsets with 2 elements in [itex]A[/itex].

From a previous problem, we know the number of subsets containing 2 elements in a set is calculated using [itex]\frac{n(n-1)}{2}[/itex]. So, by assigning that to [itex]c[/itex], assigning [itex]\frac{n(n-1)(n-2)}{6}[/itex] to [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]\frac{n(n-1)(n+1)}{6}[/itex] to b, we can plug these equations into [itex]b = a + c[/itex], getting:

[itex]\frac{n(n-1)(n+1)}{6} = \frac{n(n-1)(n-2)}{6} + \frac{n(n-1)}{2}[/itex], which is true.

This accurate? Or did I miss it again?

sta|ker said:
Alright, I think I have it:

We can obtain [itex]c[/itex] by taking all the subsets with 2 elements in [itex]A[/itex] and adding the extra element from [itex]B[/itex]. So essentially [itex]c[/itex] is the number of subsets with 2 elements in [itex]A[/itex].

From a previous problem, we know the number of subsets containing 2 elements in a set is calculated using [itex]\frac{n(n-1)}{2}[/itex]. So, by assigning that to [itex]c[/itex], assigning [itex]\frac{n(n-1)(n-2)}{6}[/itex] to [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]\frac{n(n-1)(n+1)}{6}[/itex] to b, we can plug these equations into [itex]b = a + c[/itex], getting:

[itex]\frac{n(n-1)(n+1)}{6} = \frac{n(n-1)(n-2)}{6} + \frac{n(n-1)}{2}[/itex], which is true.

This accurate? Or did I miss it again?
That's it.

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
That's it.

Excellent, thank you very much for your patience! :smile:

Related to Induction to prove then number of subsets with elements of 3

What is induction?

Induction is a mathematical proof technique used to prove statements about a set of numbers or objects by showing that the statement is true for a base case, and then assuming that the statement is true for a certain number or object and using that assumption to prove that the statement is also true for the next number or object.

What is the statement being proved in "Induction to prove then number of subsets with elements of 3"?

The statement being proved is that the number of subsets that can be formed from a set of n elements is equal to 2^n.

Why is induction used to prove this statement?

Induction is used because it is a powerful and systematic method of proving statements about sets of numbers or objects, and it allows us to prove a general statement about a set of numbers or objects without having to check every individual case.

What is the base case in this proof?

The base case is when n = 0, which means that the set has no elements. In this case, the number of subsets that can be formed is 1 (the empty set).

How does the inductive step work in this proof?

The inductive step involves assuming that the statement is true for a certain number of elements (n), and then using that assumption to prove that the statement is also true for the next number (n+1). In this case, we assume that the statement is true for a set of n elements, and then use that assumption to show that the statement is also true for a set of n+1 elements. This is done by showing that there are 2^n subsets for n elements, and then showing that by adding one more element, we can create an additional 2^n subsets.