Induction Melting: Stirring Molten Metal Bath in 1000lb Furnace

In summary, the reason you are not shocked when stirring the molten metal bath in a 1000lb induction furnace with an alumina crucible is because the induction furnace heats the conductive melt through eddy currents, and stirring only makes one connection to the fully contained circuit. Additionally, if you were to use two metal stirrers, you would be subjected to a low voltage difference due to the highly conductive nature of the melt. Stirring also helps to reduce heat loss by bringing the hot surface inside and the cold centre outside, thus speeding up the melting process.
Bladestein
Why am I not shocked when I stir the molten metal bath of a 1000lb induction furnace? Alumina crucible used.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What is the potential difference (Voltage) between your stirrer and ground?

Not sure. I am physically using a metal stick to stir.

Bladestein said:
Why am I not shocked when I stir the molten metal bath of a 1000lb induction furnace? Alumina crucible used.
An induction furnace heats the conductive melt by inducing eddy currents. Those eddy currents circulate within the melt. When you stir the melt you are only making one connection to the fully contained circuit. There is no return path through you. If you used two metal stirrers, one in each hand, you would be subjected to a voltage difference. That voltage would only be a couple of volts because the melt is highly conductive.
Skin effect at the induction oscillator frequency will result in the eddy currents only flowing in the surfaces of the melt. The central part will only be heated by the hot surface. You stir it to get the hot surface inside and the cold centre outside which speeds up the melting while reducing heat loss.

Related to Induction Melting: Stirring Molten Metal Bath in 1000lb Furnace

What is induction melting?

Induction melting is a process in which a high-frequency electromagnetic field is used to generate heat in a conductive material, such as metal, causing it to melt.

How does induction melting work?

Induction melting works by passing an alternating current through a copper coil, which creates a magnetic field. This magnetic field induces eddy currents in the metal, causing it to heat up and melt.

What are the benefits of stirring a molten metal bath during induction melting?

Stirring a molten metal bath during induction melting helps to homogenize the temperature and composition of the molten metal, improve heat transfer, and remove impurities.

Why is a 1000lb furnace commonly used for induction melting?

A 1000lb furnace is a common size for induction melting because it is large enough to accommodate most industrial applications, but not so large that it becomes inefficient or costly to operate.

What factors affect the efficiency of induction melting?

The efficiency of induction melting can be affected by factors such as the frequency of the electromagnetic field, the material being melted, and the design of the furnace and coil. It is important to optimize these factors for maximum efficiency and cost-effectiveness.