Induction and the Fibonacci Sequence

In summary: So the induction hypothesis is also needed for n = 2 and n = 3. You're welcome!At first I was also thinking that we should only look at k ≥ 3, but the thing you needed to prove was ##\ \displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^n f_{i}^{2} = f_{n+1} * f_{n}\,.\ ## Everything in this equation is defined for n ≥ 1 . So the induction hypothesis is also needed for n = 2 and n = 3.
t.kirschner99

Homework Statement

Define the Fibonacci Sequence as follows: f1 = f2 = 1, and for n≥3, $$f_n = f_{n-1} + f_{n-2}, $$

Prove that $$\sum_{i=1}^n f^{2}{}_{i} = f_{n+1} * f_{n} $$

Homework Equations

See above.

The Attempt at a Solution

Due to two variables being present in both the Sequence and what needs to be proved, strong induction is required.

Proof that it works for n = 1 and n=2:

$$f_3 = f_{2} + f_{1} = 1 + 1 = 2 $$

n=1 LHS $$\sum_{i=1}^1 f^{2}{}_{i} = f^{2}{}_{1} = 1^2 = 1 $$
RHS $$f_{1+1} * f_{1} = 1 * 1 = 1$$

n=2 LHS $$\sum_{i=1}^2 f^{2}{}_{i} = f^{2}{}_{1} + f^{2}{}_{2} = 1^2 + 1^2 = 2 $$
RHS $$f_{2+1} * f_{2} = 2 * 1 = 2 $$

Hypothesis: $$\sum_{i=1}^k f^{2}{}_{k} = f_{k+1} * f_{k} $$

We want to prove: $$\sum_{i=1}^{k+1} f^{2}{}_{i} = f_{k+2} * f_{k+1} $$
It is in my proof where I do not quite know what I am doing:

$$\sum_{i=1}^{k+1} f^{2}{}_{i}
= \sum_{i=1}^{k} f^{2}{}_{i} + f^{2}{}_{k+1}
= f_{k+1} * f_{k} + f^{2}{}_{k+1}
= f_{k+1} (f_{k} + f_{k+1}) $$

How do I simplify from here? Not quite sure what to do with these functions.

Thanks all!

Physics news on Phys.org
t.kirschner99 said:

Homework Statement

Define the Fibonacci Sequence as follows: f1 = f2 = 1, and for n≥3, $$f_n = f_{n-1} + f_{n-2}, $$
Prove that $$\sum_{i=1}^n f^{2}{}_{i} = f_{n+1} * f_{n} $$

Homework Equations

See above.

The Attempt at a Solution

Due to two variables being present in both the Sequence and what needs to be proved, strong induction is required.

Proof that it works for n = 1 and n=2:$$f_3 = f_{2} + f_{1} = 1 + 1 = 2 $$
n=1 LHS $$\sum_{i=1}^1 f^{2}{}_{i} = f^{2}{}_{1} = 1^2 = 1 $$ RHS $$f_{1+1} * f_{1} = 1 * 1 = 1$$
n=2 LHS $$\sum_{i=1}^2 f^{2}{}_{i} = f^{2}{}_{1} + f^{2}{}_{2} = 1^2 + 1^2 = 2 $$ RHS $$f_{2+1} * f_{2} = 2 * 1 = 2 $$
Hypothesis: $$\sum_{i=1}^k f^{2}{}_{k} = f_{k+1} * f_{k} $$ We want to prove: $$\sum_{i=1}^{k+1} f^{2}{}_{i} = f_{k+2} * f_{k+1} $$
It is in my proof where I do not quite know what I am doing:$$\sum_{i=1}^{k+1} f^{2}{}_{i}
= \sum_{i=1}^{k} f^{2}{}_{i} + f^{2}{}_{k+1}
= f_{k+1} * f_{k} + f^{2}{}_{k+1}
= f_{k+1} (f_{k} + f_{k+1}) $$

How do I simplify from here? Not quite sure what to do with these functions.

Thanks all!
You're almost there !

Using the recursive definition of the Fibonacci sequence, what is ##\ f_{k} + f_{k+1} \ ? ##

SammyS said:
You're almost there !

Using the recursive definition of the Fibonacci sequence, what is ##\ f_{k} + f_{k+1} \ ? ##

Ah thank you for opening my eyes! That would be equal to $$f_{k+2} $$ thus the statement is proven.

One quick question about the hypothesis, would I need to assume that k > 3 ?

t.kirschner99 said:
Ah thank you for opening my eyes! That would be equal to $$f_{k+2} $$ thus the statement is proven.

One quick question about the hypothesis, would I need to assume that k > 3 ?
You're welcome!

At first I was also thinking that we should only look at k ≥ 3, but the thing you needed to prove was ##\ \displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^n f_{i}^{2} = f_{n+1} * f_{n}
\,.\ ## Everything in this equation is defined for n ≥ 1 .

Related to Induction and the Fibonacci Sequence

What is induction?

Induction is a mathematical proof technique used to prove that a statement or property holds true for all natural numbers.

What is the Fibonacci sequence?

The Fibonacci sequence is a series of numbers where each number is the sum of the two preceding numbers, starting with 0 and 1. The sequence can be written as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, and so on.

How is induction used to prove properties of the Fibonacci sequence?

Induction is used to prove that certain properties of the Fibonacci sequence hold true for all numbers in the sequence. This involves proving the base case (usually the first two numbers in the sequence) and then showing that if the property holds true for any two consecutive numbers, it also holds true for the next number in the sequence.

What are some common properties of the Fibonacci sequence that can be proven using induction?

Some common properties that can be proven using induction include the closed form expression for the nth term of the Fibonacci sequence, the ratio of consecutive terms approaching the golden ratio, and the sum of the first n terms of the sequence.

Why is induction a useful proof technique for the Fibonacci sequence?

Induction provides a systematic and rigorous way to prove that certain properties hold true for all numbers in the Fibonacci sequence. It allows for a general proof that applies to all natural numbers, rather than having to prove individual cases. Additionally, the recursive nature of the Fibonacci sequence makes it well-suited for an inductive proof.