Inductance and Magnetic Energy of a Straight Wire

In summary, the magnetic energy of a length l carrying a current i is μ_0 i2 l / 16π and does not depend on diameter. The inductance for a length l associated with the flux inside the wire is μ_0 l / 8π. To find the magnetic energy, you need to solve for u_B and find B inside the wire. If u_B is not uniform inside, integration will be necessary to find the total energy.
AJKing

Homework Statement

A long wire carries a current i uniformly distributed over a cross section of the wire.

Show that the magnetic energy of a length l equals μ_0 i2 l / 16π. Describe why this doesn't depend on diameter.

Show that the inductance for a length of the wire l associated with the flux inside the wire is μ_0 l / 8π

Homework Equations

u_B = B2/2μ_0

U = L i2 /2

Biot-Savart law for Field in a long wire:

B = μ_0 i / 2 π r

The Attempt at a Solution

Solve for u_B as

u_B = B2/2μ_0

= (μ_0 i / 2 π r ) 2 / 2μ_0

Multiply by volume of wire to find U:

U = ( (μ_0 i / 2 π r ) 2 / 2μ_0 ) * π r^2 l

= μ_0 i2 l / 8π

I'm off by a factor 1/2. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to find B inside the wire.

If uB is not uniform inside, integration will be necessary to find the total energy.

Related to Inductance and Magnetic Energy of a Straight Wire

What is inductance in a straight wire?

Inductance in a straight wire is a measure of the ability of the wire to store energy in the form of a magnetic field. It is also known as self-inductance, as the wire induces a magnetic field in itself.

How is inductance in a straight wire calculated?

The inductance of a straight wire can be calculated using the formula L = μ0N^2A/l, where L is the inductance, μ0 is the permeability of free space, N is the number of turns in the wire, A is the cross-sectional area of the wire, and l is the length of the wire.

What factors affect the inductance of a straight wire?

The inductance of a straight wire is affected by the number of turns in the wire, the cross-sectional area of the wire, and the length of the wire. It is also influenced by the material of the wire and the presence of any nearby objects that may alter the magnetic field.

What are some applications of inductance in a straight wire?

Inductance in a straight wire is used in various electronic devices, such as inductors and transformers, to store and transfer energy. It is also used in electromagnets, which are used in a wide range of applications, from speakers and motors to magnetic levitation systems.

How does inductance in a straight wire relate to electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves are created by the oscillation of electric and magnetic fields. Inductance in a straight wire is a result of the magnetic field created by the flow of electric current. Therefore, inductance plays a crucial role in the production and propagation of electromagnetic waves.